Ace assemblies

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
mike cookman

Ace assemblies

Postby mike cookman » July 23rd, 2002, 8:38 am

I like ace assemblies. I am partial to Darryl's Diamond Bar and J.C Wagner's The Assembly, as well as Harry Lorayne's Rock n Roll Aces, for non gaffed variations, and Gary Kurtz's Amplified Ace Assembly and Ultimate Progression for gaffed versions. If anyone out there has any favorite assemblies, please let me know. I wouldn't mind learning more. Thanks.

Pete Biro

Re: Ace assemblies

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2002, 12:47 pm

MacDonald's Aces is my all time fave... and I owe Richard K a write-up on Emile Clifton's laydown. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2002, 12:48 pm

Also... not too long ago, in Genii Magazine, there was a great setup using a SLOP SHUFFLE... I really think this is an outstanding way to get into the trick. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 23rd, 2002, 2:46 pm

Pete B:

You may be thinking of "Slop Ace Production" by Jon LeClair, which appeared in the February 1999 issue of Magic magazine.

A very clever idea and a great way to produce the four aces from a borrowed deck.

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » July 23rd, 2002, 2:55 pm

Phil Goldstein's "Picasso Aces" from Focus (originally found in Goldstein's Gallery) is a very cool progressive ace assembly where the aces have odd colored backs.

Mike

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » July 23rd, 2002, 3:25 pm

In no particular order:

Stranger Succession Aces (Racherbaumer) - Very visual and SO easy.

Jumping Bean Aces (Goldstein) - This one is just plain fun to do!!!

Streamlined Assembly Minus One (Regal) - I like the thinking and routining behind this.

Masquerade (Bannon) - It's hard to believe you get so much from only ONE joker!!

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 23rd, 2002, 3:43 pm

Another nice assembly that utilizes odd colored aces is Bruce Cervon's "The Red Backed Aces", from "UltraCervon". The use of odd colored backs in an ace assembly was, I believe, originated by Lin Searles. I recently came across a list of writers of western novels, that included the name of Lin Searles. Does anyone know if this is the same Lin Searles? According to what I read, the novelist Searles was believed to have been murdered.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2002, 4:44 pm

Bro. Hamman's "Final Aces" is one of my favorites. Jennings' "2002 Aces" is also good. :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2002, 7:07 pm

I have, but have not learned Alex Elmsley's ATOMIC ACES... (the same as Hamman's?) but someone fooled the weeeeeeee outa meeeeeeeeee with it... big time. :eek: :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2002, 8:14 pm

Aces In Their Faces is a very cool gaffed version.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2002, 9:45 am

I'd like to toss in my vote for Mike Skinner's handling of the Slow Motion Aces. I've been using it constantly since the Skinner tribute issue of Genii came out (not sure of the date, but if you search the Forum you'll find it), and can say that not only does it feel wonderful in the hands, it fools the bejesus out of everyone who sees it.

Zech Johnson

David Acer

Postby David Acer » July 27th, 2002, 12:20 pm

In the late 70's, early '80s, Buddy Ankner released a progressive Ace Assembly called Ankner's Aces that was all the rage in my neck of the woods. It was produced by Perfect Magic, it used gimmicked cards, and it looked sweet as candy. (I'm talking the sugar kind, not the aspartame kind)
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2002, 2:32 pm

David, didn't Buddy Ankner's version use double-ended cards in every packet?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Glenn Godsey

Postby Glenn Godsey » July 27th, 2002, 8:25 pm

A recent Ace assembly that I am enjoying is Boris Wild's in his Kiss Count video. Very simple and effective. I also enjoy performing Dominique Duvivier's Progressive Aces from one of his videos.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 3rd, 2002, 4:56 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
David, didn't Buddy Ankner's version use double-ended cards in every packet?
I actually don't remember the work on the Ankner routine, although I do recall that at some point, you were required to hold a pinky break.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

David Penn

Postby David Penn » August 3rd, 2002, 6:25 pm

Jim Swain's psychic aces which was published in Genii sometime last year is very good. The bad news is that it requires a bottom deal. The good news is that the bottoms need to be done from a small packet so they aren't too difficult.

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2002, 7:37 pm

Hmm, Diamond bar is awesome, the Skinner routine is great, The Stencel Aces is sweet I wish I could do it better. And they are all in the Collected Almanac.

Noah Levine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 3rd, 2002, 10:29 pm

Try this... my favorite!

From face of deck: Four aces with the colors alternating and the Spade fourth from face, followed by the double faces for MacDonald's Aces with the Non-Ace sides facing up.

Push off one at a time the four aces taking them into the right hand, hold in a fan with the Spade on the face.

Toss the Spade face up onto table.

"I need three more cards."

With the three aces, held, spread slightly between the right index finger and thumb, push off, one at a time, the three gaffed cards, gripping them between the index and middle finger of the right hand. (You now hold six cards, in two packets of three, in your right hand at the fingertips).

"We'll place three cards on the Ace of Spades."

Right hand rotates (turning over anti-clockwise) adn tosses the three Aces Face Down onto the Spade and AT THE SAME TIME IN ALMOST THE SAME MOVE YOU TOSS THE THREE GAFFED CARDS DOWN A BIT TO LEFT AND AWAY FROM THE SPADE PILE.

It looks like you have thrown the face down regular cards onto the Ace of Spades and tossed the three remaining aces to the table.

Spread the three Ace/dbl facers out in a row and deal three cards face down onto each...

Finish as in your favorite card vanishes or transpositions ala MacDonald Aces.

This is the "Emile Clifton Laydown."

Emile taught this to me more than 30 years ago, I had forgotten about it until "Cards by Martin" guru reminded me of it.

:cool:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2002, 8:09 am

Thanks Pete, that is a really nice sequence.

Noah Levine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”