Neil Elias

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Neil Elias

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2003, 8:35 am

Hi Folks

I'm mailing to ask if anyone can tell me anything about Neil Elias. I first came across the multiple shift in one of Jerry Sadowitz's books (perhaps the routine was called Mik Mak Mok).

I did a quick search on the web (perhaps too quick) - and didn't come up with much.

Has he published much else? When was the multiple shift invented? Where was it first published?

Thanks very much in advance

Derek

Jon Racherbaumer

Re: Neil Elias

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » February 13th, 2003, 10:24 am

Neal Elias published some of his early work in AT THE TABLE, a small booklet. Marlo published his Multiple Shift in THE MULTIPLE SHIFT booklet from the Revolutionary Card Technique series. Elias devised the techniques in 1955.

SIDE JOG MULTIPLE SHIFT (Elias)
1. The four Aces are on the face of deck. Deck is face up in left hand in dealing position.
2. Left thumb pushes off the 4 Aces which are taken in the right hand thumb on faces and in a fanned position.
3. Both hands are turned over so that both deck and fan of Aces are face down as in Fig. 28.
4. Left thumb riffles deck (as for thumb count) to about center of deck. Right hand slides the first ace half way into side of deck. The other three Aces are placed in deck in the same manner
with about 5 or 6 cards between each Ace
5. Turn left hand over again so that the deck is face up with the Aces side jogged at left side.
6. Place right hand over deck, fingers at outer end and thumb at the inner end.
7. The left thumb presses on left edge of the Aces, and with the help of the left fingers (which are still on right side of deck) squeezes the Aces into the deck as in Fig. 29.
8. When the Aces are all but in the deck (that is when less than half an inch of aces extend from the deck), stop squeezing and slide the left hand to the right. This flushes the Aces with the deck and jogs the cards that are between them to the right.
9. The right forefinger swings to the left, taking the Aces and the packet at top of deck (which is square with the Aces) with it. The left hand takes this packet in the crotch of the thumb and forefinger and draws this packet clear as seen in Fig. 30.
10. The right hand drops its packet on left hand packet. Turn deck face down. Aces are on top of deck. If you want Aces on bottom of deck start the above move with deck face down.

Darwin Ortiz recently explained his technical variant in SCAMS & FANTASIES.

Karl Fulves published a 118-page book called NEW CARD CONTROLS (2001), which features lots of material by Neal Elias. Check with Fulves, H & R Books, or your favorite dealer. Move mavens will enjoy playing around with the Twirl Pass.

Have fun...

Onward...

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2003, 11:01 am

Thank you Jon.

I've got the Multiple Shift booklet and also, I think the move (or a variant thereof) was described by Jerry in the Inspirations book.

I was more interested in learning a little more about the man. Is he still around? Location? What other stuff had been published?

The Fulves book sounds interesting in this regard. What about the man himself though?

Thanks for replying.

Derek

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » February 13th, 2003, 3:05 pm

Neal Elias is a very retiring, modest guy.
He is also quite an expert in origami. His stuff has been published in various sources. Sam Randlett's FLAPPING BIRD (I think) had some Elias' folds in it.

The most amazing fold he sent me was a SINGLE sheet fold, red on one side and black on the other. He was able to create "the moment of truth" with a bullfighter, cape, and bull. The only red that showed was the cape. This was mind-blowing.

He also created "Jonah in the Whale" where the whale's mouth opened to reveal Jonah. One sheet.

The other magicians into origami (that I know of) are Bob Neale and the late Robert Harbin. There are many others, but Elias is among the top folders.

Onward...

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2003, 3:24 pm

Thanks again. I wondered if it was the same guy:

http://origami.for.free.fr/photos/photo ... 1&lang=eng

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » February 14th, 2003, 3:33 am

I have a copy of "At the Table" and have seen numerous references to Neal Elias in magazines like "Epilogue". His Multiple Shift was also described in "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" in the context of a trick called "Kings' Triumph", if I remember correctly.

Others on this forum are far better qualified than I am to comment on Neal Elias' contribution to magic, but the following may be of interest in connection with the origami side of things.

Although no longer active in origami, Neal Elias was a major creative force in the 60s and 70s, and his work is still highly revered even now. He had a completely original approach and devised a huge number of outstanding models (I think the total was quoted somewhere as around 1200), including a four-piece representation of "The Last Supper", many one-piece multiple-subject models like "The Moment of Truth" already mentioned, and lots of superb animal folds. He is said to have "burned himself out creatively" after completing a series of around seventy 3D busts of well-known figures like Napoleon, the Mad Hatter and others.

Many of Neal Elias's models are described in booklets produced by the British Origami Society, although his original instructions are by no means easy to follow, even for those with experience in origami. A CD-ROM is also currently in preparation, which I think should have more model instructions and other information about Neal Elias.

And yes, there are many other magicians who are into origami in some way - Robert Neale, Michael Weber, Dan Garrett, Michael Close, Piet Forton, Jon Tremaine, Thoki Yenn, to mention only some of the better known names that come to mind at the moment. Elias corresponded extensively with the great Robert Harbin and also Fred Rohm, another origami genius who was into magic too, although I'm not sure to what extent.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”