Looking for a nice routine using Jardine Ellis Ring

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Looking for a nice routine using Jardine Ellis Ring

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2003, 6:07 pm

I have always like the Ellis ring. Does anyone know where I can find a nice routine for it. Thanks in advance for your help....

Re: Looking for a nice routine using Jardine Ellis Ring

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2003, 7:54 pm

Mr. Garcia and anybody else reading this. I have two recommendations for ellis ring routines. First where you put the ring and gaff together over the spectators thumb, cover both, thumb and rings with a handkerchief, reach under and remove the gaff, vanish it YFM,remove te handkerchief and there is the ring on their thumb. I've been doing this for forty years. It's no talent way and they like...many said I felt you take it off, I saw you take it off, gets good responce.I've known it so long I don't remember where it came from. But uou said a routine.from Horace Bennett's book "On Your Feet" published by Jerry Mentzer in 1978. Jerry may still have this book if he doesn't it was also printed in the New Phoenix Sept. 1955 and The Geni Nov 1958. It is a Ellis ring on a shoelace but it has a surprie ending, as a matter of fact two. Check it out.

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2003, 8:55 pm

Check out Paul Wilson's website for an astounding routine with the ring. http://rpaulwilson.com
-DS

Jason Wethington

Postby Jason Wethington » June 13th, 2003, 8:25 am

Mike,
Is the second routine you mentioned the one that is in "The Art of Close-up Magic" Vol. 2?
It IS a great routine. If not then check it out. I used this routine a lot back in my early resataurant career.
Cheers,
Jason

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 13th, 2003, 12:17 pm

I'll second the plug for Paul's routine.

Also, I've got a book called John Howie's routines with the JE Ring (1955) which has a bunch of moves, some small routines (sort of similar to Paul's) and a couple of longer routines in the back. It's a big red book, 32 pages and the last three are a complete (at the time) bibliography of JE routines. At the end there is an ad for a book called Conjuring Trix by Hans Trixter (probably around the same time). You might want to have a look for these.

But in the meantime, you can get Paul's pretty much straight away :)

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 12:42 pm

In the Art Of Close-Up Magic by Ganson, there are several good effects with the Jardine-Ellis ring...also, Horace Bennett published some very good stuff with the J-E ring in some of his books.

Mike

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 12:45 pm

Yes Jason that is the Horace Bennet Routine. I live in Richmond,Virginia and that is where Horace was from as well. I met Horace around 1960 and was a pallbearer at his funeral mid 1980's.He was one hell of a nice guy, I miss him a lot.I'm happy to see someone else remembers him . Thanks for making the post.....Mike

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 12:53 pm

Yeah Mike...I would think that anyone who knew Horace misses him...he was a great person. He influenced many who was lucky to cross his path! It would be nice to see Mentzer republish all his books someday in one big book!!!

Mike

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 3:01 pm

If you have access to Peter Warlock's "Pentagram" you will find a number of consecutive issues devoted to the Ellis Ring. Some very cool ideas are there.

If it was not mentioned already, Lewis Ganson's book The Art of Close-Up Magic (vol. 1 I believe) also has some Ellis Ring routines ... and one of them is a mentalism effect!!

Vlad

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 13th, 2003, 3:05 pm

STOP... don't read anything. Lock yourself in a room with the prop... THINK THINK THINK... create your own concepts and routine.

:genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 8:26 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
STOP... don't read anything. Lock yourself in a room with the prop... THINK THINK THINK... create your own concepts and routine.

Hear Hear!

cataquet

Postby cataquet » June 14th, 2003, 4:02 am

To Geoff and Pete: Isn't this a bit unfair? :rolleyes:

I am (coincidentally) looking at putting together a routine with the Jardine Ellis ring. My approach has been (1) have a look at what is out there [the Wilson routine was new to me], (2) script what you want it to look like (ignoring the existence of the gimmick), and (3) see if the gimmick helps you accomplish any of the phases in your routine. Thus, you should develop your own routine, but you have to start with some research.

My problem with the Jardine Ellis ring is that in many cases, you can achieve the same effect with a duplicate ring. So, if you begin with one ring in your hand and another up your sleeve, you can pretty much do anything that the gimmick allows. I also find that placing the ring in their hand between an on and an off phase re-inforces that the ring was genuinely off the wand.

Also, over the years I have found that most married men have plain gold wedding bands. So if their ring is a close match for the ones that I carry, I will ask to borrow their ring.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Jardine Ellis ring is a great prop. I'm just not convinced that, except for the ring over thumb under silk effect, it is superior to using a duplicate.

Bye for now

Harold

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2003, 4:31 am

So, if you begin with one ring in your hand and another up your sleeve, you can pretty much do anything that the gimmick allows

Not true Harold, as you just restricted the trick to your wardrobe. While there is nothing wrong with what you suggested...you are complicating the simplicity of the Jardine-Ellis ring.

Mike

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 14th, 2003, 8:58 am

If you have an extra ring with a slot in it, you can add ring on/off cord/wand/ribbon/shoe lace to the mix.

Pete is correct - work out your own routine! This is why I usually provide no routine info with the apparatus I make. I am trying to force the purchaser to think and develop something original. Sometimes it even works :)
Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 14th, 2003, 10:20 am

OK, if you want some "past info" on the item, Magic Inc. sells "Jay's Jinking Rings" a set of rings (one slotted as Riser suggests) and others... and a series of effects compiled by the Dean of American Magicians, Sir Jay "Jasper" Marshall.
Stay tooned.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 14th, 2003, 11:12 am

Here are some additional thoughts to consider when devising your own original routine. Now, to make things really interesting...The slot ring or shell may be introduced and taken away by a Jack Miller type of holdout. BTW - an $1800 holdout version is not necessary for this ;)
Jim

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » June 14th, 2003, 1:44 pm

Originally posted by Harold Cataquet:
My problem with the Jardine Ellis ring is that in many cases, you can achieve the same effect with a duplicate ring. So, if you begin with one ring in your hand and another up your sleeve, you can pretty much do anything that the gimmick allows. I also find that placing the ring in their hand between an on and an off phase re-inforces that the ring was genuinely off the wand.

Also, over the years I have found that most married men have plain gold wedding bands. So if their ring is a close match for the ones that I carry, I will ask to borrow their ring.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Jardine Ellis ring is a great prop. I'm just not convinced that, except for the ring over thumb under silk effect, it is superior to using a duplicate.

Bye for now

Harold
I see what you're saying, but your post does overlook what can be an important consideration, and that's that one of the strongest advantages of having a shell is that you have a duplicate that comes and goes at will. In a well-constructed routine, good use of a shell will eliminate any thought of a duplicate in the mind of the audience because you can show very cleanly and beyond any doubt that you hold only one item. And yet, a moment later, the shell is off, and you have a duplicate to work with again. Such can be the power of the expanded half dollar, the Sanada gimmick, the thumb tip, and the Jardine-Ellis ring.

Cheers,

Lance

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 14th, 2003, 5:22 pm

Originally posted by Geoff Latta:
Originally posted by Pete Biro:
[b] STOP... don't read anything. Lock yourself in a room with the prop... THINK THINK THINK... create your own concepts and routine.

Hear Hear! [/b]
Once upon a time I did that, and listened to people when I asked them what they thought the thing is. One person asked if the sharp edges bothered me.

I got the round version and did the same... asked people. Those who would reply suggested it's a kind of intimate apparel one does not ordinarily display in public.

I understood the reference years later. Now I wonder how many others also understand why the bit with the thumb under the hankerchief is just so 'effective' ??

I suppose if one goes to the right bars this might get alot of interest and establish audience rapport.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2003, 3:14 pm

Jay Scott Berry has got a very nice ring and ribbon routine using a ring about the same size as the Ellis ring. Maybe you could combine a standard Ellis ring routine with a ring and string/ribbon.

JSB uses his marketed item called sleeve pockets in his ring routine. He offers classes teaching the application of these pockets and the use of the topit in a routine such as the ring and ribbon. He's also got some videos out. Check Hocus-Pocus magic shop if you're interested.

cataquet

Postby cataquet » June 17th, 2003, 8:54 am

Originally posted by Mike Gallo:
Not true Harold, as you just restricted the trick to your wardrobe. While there is nothing wrong with what you suggested...you are complicating the simplicity of the Jardine-Ellis ring.
Absolutely, Mike. However, I always wear a jacket when I am performing professionally, so that isn't too much a restriction.

I once played around with other types of ring gimmicks (using coin gimmicks as a reference point). For example, I tried a hook ring as an alternative to sleeving, as well as a steel ring (gold plated) that I could holdout with a magnet. Both of these were an attempt to find substitutes for holding out the duplicate ring when I wasn't wearing the right outfit. However, I have found that most people don't think I am using a duplicate ring, so it's quite easy to just conceal one in the palm for the whole length of the routine and switch them (a la Wilson's routine).

A mention has already been made to a slotted ring, but did I mention that my duplicate is a Himber ring? The Jardine Ellis ring is the equivalent of the shell coin. However, a shell coin is used for transpositions. In all the Jardine Ellis ring routines that I have seen, the gimmick is used for penetrations. However, if what is occuring is a series of penetrations, isn't the Himber ring a better choice of gimmick (especially if used with an examinable duplicate)?

Now you know why I can't come up with a good Jardine Ellis Routine!

Bye for now

Harold

troublewit

Postby troublewit » June 17th, 2003, 9:23 pm

There's a nice presentation for the JE Ring in Barrie Richardson's book Theater of the Mind.
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Return to “Close-Up Magic”