Trimming Playing Cards

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jim Riser

Trimming Playing Cards

Postby Jim Riser » January 2nd, 2003, 8:12 pm

I have posted a brief overview of card trimming which may be of interest to some of the Genii Forum members.

You may see it here:
http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/Card/Trimmer.html

Bill Mullins

Re: Trimming Playing Cards

Postby Bill Mullins » January 2nd, 2003, 11:34 pm

So, Jim, when can we expect "Riser (TM) Trimmers"?

I can see them now, the brass will be highly polished, the steel blades tempered just so. And then the web pages that describe how to make the jigs that hold the frames that make the tools necessary to make the trimmers.

Sign me up for the first set . . .

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 2nd, 2003, 11:52 pm

Hi Bill;
Even though I have been asked several times to make card trimmers, I most likely never will. I believe Joe Stevens does supply a working reproduction set of the old card trimmers. Make certain you are seated when you view the price. The old cutters are even more expensive! At one time, there must have been quite a market for crooked gambling items as no expense was spared in the manufacture of the old cutters. They were built to do the job correctly and for a very long time. There certainly must have been lots of people cheated in the old days.

I merely like to use my cutters to create a few special cards and decks for some magician friends of mine who know how to use the items. I thought I'd share the process with Genii Forum members interested in such things. Magicians do not often get to see such toys in action.
Jim

:D

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 3rd, 2003, 1:36 am

Originally posted by Jim Riser:
... a brief overview of card trimming
Gosh those photos brought back memories. I made a few decks on machines like that. The machines were antique back then. Have you considered donating a couple to the Smithsonian? They would go nicely with the Hofzinser card rise box.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2003, 7:35 am

ooooooooooooooooooo...

What lovely work....

And thank you for a look at your card trimmers..very educational...

Rosie

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2003, 10:32 am

Originally posted by Jim Riser:
Hi Bill;
Even though I have been asked several times to make card trimmers, I most likely never will. I believe Joe Stevens does supply a working reproduction set of the old card trimmers[...]
Alan Zagorsky, of Owen Magic Supreme, also builds reproductions that are not only completely functional but are also very faithful to the original designs.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 10:31 pm

i'm in the market for a corner rounder. if anyone knows where i can get one pls let me know. i've seen the one that joe stevens is carrying but its a set with the trimmer and a little too pricey for my blood....thanks

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 4th, 2003, 10:49 pm

Originally posted by g garcia:
i'm in the market for a corner rounder. if anyone knows where i can get one pls let me know. i've seen the one that joe stevens is carrying but its a set with the trimmer and a little too pricey for my blood....thanks
Try:
http://www.creativememories.com/collleft.asp?SN=608619
or
http://www.officezone.com/carl6a.htm

I do not know what the radius is on these cutters; but one of them might do whatever you need.
Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 5th, 2003, 1:01 pm

LLasco or Lassco ? makes a professional corner rounder and are often on ebay for well under $100...just search "corner rounder".
Stay tooned.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”