Magic Castle Audition Routine

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
grimmace121
Favorite Magician: ricky jay

Magic Castle Audition Routine

Postby grimmace121 » June 18th, 2014, 5:18 pm

I am currently putting together my routine for the Magic Castle audition. As of right now it starts with my 4-Ace cutting sequence (The first two aces being found with a flourish type cut, the third ace spinning out of the deck into the air and lastly having the spectator find the fourth ace themselves)From there I rapidly cut the four queens, and then proceed to use the aces and queens to perform Woody Aragon's "Dorset". Does this routine suffice? Is it long enough? Any questions/comments/concerns/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Bob Cunningham

Re: Magic Castle Audition Routine

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 18th, 2014, 6:39 pm

My understanding is that they will be evaluating your ability to perform magic in front of audience for a short period (5 min). Not your sleight of hand skill or your originality.

The most important thing is not to "punch above your weight" :-) i.e. Make sure you can comfortably perform the routines you intend to present. In the group I auditioned with were some very seasoned magicians. But there were also some fairly new to magic. One of the successful candidates presented MacDonald's Aces and another presented the the invisible deck. Others presented more technically challenging magic. In all cases they were able to perform their magic in front of others.

As to the length, it should be about 5 minutes - so time your rehearsals :-)

Good luck!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 18th, 2014, 7:36 pm

I always heard that the Junior auditions were more arduous than those for the adults. Is that true?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 19th, 2014, 2:42 am

Has anyone ever been denied membership, due to a poor performance at the audition?

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 19th, 2014, 7:34 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:Has anyone ever been denied membership, due to a poor performance at the audition?

Most definitely! On the night of my audition there were 18 of us. 7 were denied membership. Since performances are done in private (in front of a panel of members) I can not speak to the exact reasons that most of them were rejected.

However, there was one candidate who was very anxious and was drinking to steady his nerves. By the time of his audition he has slurring his words, it seems likely that was the cause of his failure.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 19th, 2014, 8:09 am

Bob--

May I please ask: what year did you audition? I'm a little surprised that nearly 50% flamed.

I wonder what the Magic Circle non-admission rate is in comparison.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 19th, 2014, 8:29 am

erdnasephile wrote:
May I please ask: what year did you audition? I'm a little surprised that nearly 50% flamed.

My audition was in 2007. And the geek in me must insist that 7 of 18 is closer to 1/3 than 1/2 :-)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”