The Last Matrix

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

The Last Matrix

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 6:08 am

I awaited my August edition of Genii and what did I spy on the back cover? A slick advertisement by Sean Bogunia on something called "the Last Matrix" (Gawd I hope so).

It read any four coins, any four cards and your bare hands. It sounded strangely familiar - how could this be different from the original? No gimmicks! That was also a confusion. The most important graphic appeared to be a large computer mouse - I was hooked. While I do not have a high speed computer at home I do have one at work.

I was having a party that day and so I asked a friend who also has a version of Matrix if he could make head or tials of this. He could not but was very interested in how this could change your magic exponentially. (and he is a pretty smart guy). So off we drove to my place of work while the womenfolk stayed behind and enjoyed the pool.

DRAT! the promised video does not appear on the website. Possibly an oversite. Anyway we went home dejected having missed the opportunity to see something that would fool laymen and magicians alike - which is pretty much everybody.

When we got back to my place I asked what he thought of it. Al shrugged his shoulders and asked if I had anymore of those sloppy joes.

I said sorry about the wild goose chase Al (he doesn't like me calling him Mr.Schneider)We ate in silence.

Frank Tougas

Re: The Last Matrix

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 11:58 am

Sadly, it seems that Al's wonderful little trick has become the magic worlds version of the song...

Feeeee-lings

Everybody has an "interpretation".

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2006, 7:19 am

It is after the 26th and still nothing on Sean Bogunia's website regarding this trick. Is anyone who is knowledgeable about this have the scoop?

The advertisement appears in this newest issue of M.U.M. It has been quite a few years since I've advertised in M.U.M. but I remember having to submit my camera ready art be at least two months, sometimes three, in advance.

Frank Tougas

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2006, 8:16 am

Originally posted by Frank Tougas:
It is after the 26th and still nothing on Sean Bogunia's website regarding this trick.
Just had a look at his website. It doesn't say that the effect will be available immediately after 26 July. It says The Last Matrix will not be available until after July 26. Furthermore, it suggests joining the mailing list to be notified of its release.

I'm fascinated by Matrix routines, and so I've now joined that mailing list. If anybody else here wishes to know details of that effect, I suggest that they do likewise.

Dave

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2006, 9:21 am

If you want to see The First Matrix why not go to:

www.worldmagiccenter.com

Its been going strong for 46 years.

My ads once said, "If you really had magic power you would not do this any different. You would put the cards down and pick the cards up. The magic just happens."

I am anxious to see The Last Matrix. I cannot imagine what could be more powerful than The First Matrix.

I have seen Matrix God's Way. The Last Matrix must be good.

Al Schneider

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 7th, 2006, 6:50 am

Looks like it's up now:
The Last Matrix
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 5:34 pm

What do you think?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 7th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Confusing.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Originally posted by Al Schneider:
What do you think?
The phases seem fine alone, but the overall flow a bit muddled.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 7th, 2006, 6:13 pm

I had to watch it twice to get it. I think he may have been rushed because of the news crew. I believe a slower pace would clear things up a bit.

Dustin

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Originally posted by DustinStinett:
I had to watch it twice to get it. I think he may have been rushed because of the news crew. I believe a slower pace would clear things up a bit.

Dustin
I would agree, there was some nice stuff there, but it was so fast I had no idea what the hell was going on half the time. It is nice show a real world demo like this, but a straight demo would have been nicer. At the same time, I believe that such a demo would allow those in the know to figure it out without buying the product, that is if they are interested anyway.

Hey Al, I know your coin and silk effect, Tri Thru?, was going to be in a magazine the last few months. Can you remind me which one, I haven't gotten any new ones for 4 months, but will be getting them when I get back to the states. Thanks.

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2006, 7:16 am

Osmosis (new name for tri thru) appeared in March Genii 2006 or close to that.
You can see Osmosis and the First Matrix on
www.worldmagiccenter.com

Al Schneider

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2006, 11:30 am

For what it's worth (exactly what you paid for it :) )....
I like Al's matrix MUCH better. No confusion, to the point, magical.
In all fairness, let it be known that I've never performed a matrix in my life. :confused:
Ted (Leondo)

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » August 8th, 2006, 2:05 pm

I think the way I viewed the Bogunia clip was heavily colored by the way it was advertised...

To my ears "The Last Matrix" is something of an arrogant title...as if the problems in any effect could ever be fully solved, as if there is ever a definitive, "complete" version....I don't mind it as much when a new approach dramatically improves a plot or eliminates weaknesses that have dogged prior versions...

Here, however, the title is totally unwarranted.

There are some fun ideas in Sean's version, and it is the sort of thing I might enjoy playing around with. Had it been marketed as what it is, an interesting variation to experiment with, I would have no qualms. Instead, in my eyes, Sean looks ridiculous by pretending that his version is somehow a culmination or completion of matrix.

Best,

N.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » August 8th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Originally posted by Al Schneider:
Osmosis (new name for tri thru) appeared in March Genii 2006 or close to that.
It was in March 2006 Genii

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 8th, 2006, 3:08 pm

The Last anything?? Uh, I'll tell you... you want to see clean and baffling... it is Al's ORIGINAL...

After that?

Dean Dill's work.

And the Ultimate?

Armando Lucero's 10 year study of the effect and is finale... with 1 coin and two cards.

That's magic.
Stay tooned.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » August 8th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Matrix is one of the strongest table effects in existence. Visual, fast, impossible. I do it exactly like Al taught it, then follow it up with Kohler's backfire routine (from John Bannon book). Set 'em up, hose 'em down.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2006, 7:18 am

Doug,
Of which John Bannon book do you speak that contains Bob's "Backfire" routine?
Ted L

CardFan

Postby CardFan » August 9th, 2006, 7:21 am

I believe it's in IMPOSSIBILIA.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2006, 9:37 am

I guess I will weigh in on this again since I was the upstart who began the thread. I have several objections the biggest being that the reason given for it not being on the website to begin with was to "make it perfect" yet there was an apology for the "imperfection" of the clip as being rushed by the news crew.

The routine has lots of twists, turns and is pretty surprising, I'm not sure I agree that surprising is the same as magical. The routine appears it involves a lot of manipulation. Whether it does or not is not the point, perception is everything. The original Matrix has no such flaw.

The perception is that the coins magically move from where they were to where they are now. Mr. Biro stated it was confusing, I'd say Pete was kind. In the realm of coin assemblies (I call it that because just as all cellophane tape is not Scotch, not all coin assemblies are Matrix), The "Final Matrix" is not appreciably different than other "improved versions" and is pales by comparison to it's original.

I am sure the effect goes great guns for Sean and kills. I believe him to be a very clever and adept magician, I'm just not sure this adds much to the classic effect.

Frank Tougas

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 9th, 2006, 10:13 am

I think Al's original Matrix is great--a classic. And like all classics, you can judge how important it has been in our field by the number of people who are inspired to create variations and improvements of it. And any variation is a tribute to the original.
Sean Begonia is no different. He's a damn clever magician whose products are superior in every way. If he says he has a fantasic Matrix, then until evidence to the contrary appears, I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt. Knowing Sean and how good his other products are, I want to see what he's selling!
All creators, like Al, have somewhat ambivalent feelings about what gets unleashed when they create something that takes on a life of its own and is no longer under their control.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 9th, 2006, 11:03 am

The sad thing about magic, unlike music, is that Al doesn't get royalty checks every time someone uses his effect(s).

Like Joe Karson, oh would he have been rich if ASCAP had his Zombie under their banner.
Stay tooned.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » August 9th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Sean apparently doesn't want Macintosh users to see the effect.

I don't have Windows or ActiveX, the site tells me, therefore no dice. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay, there it is; I had to externally launch Windows Media Player. But it stopped right after he tapped the stack under the card in the middle.

The trick is...wow...there's a lot going on there. I'm not sure exactly what I was supposed to perceive--that the coins assembled, or came back, or something. The covering of the coins seems a bit "move-ey."

I agree with you all who said the original is much more direct and magical.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2006, 5:58 pm

Heres what I think.

I saw the attractive ad on the back cover of Genii.

I thought that someone else was simply capitalizing on the name I attached to a coin trick long ago. Had I called it ZipZap we would probably have hundreds of ZipZap coin routines.

I reviewed the other tricks that individual sells.

From what I have read they seem to be of unusually high quality.

I wonder why this individual is leaving an area he seems to be comfortable in and dips his paddle into the waters of selling information.

Mr. Kaufman is right. I care little.

I have a slow line hookup and use Netscape.

I cannot view his trick. Past a single attempt I care not to try again.

The comments I have made earlier in this thread are in response to those that seem to be posted for the purpose of promoting that person and product. This has been done tongue in cheek.

In my business I attempt to cater to all speeds and all platforms. I think it is important to offer all people the highest quality possible. I know Mr. Kaufman believes in that philosophy as well.

I attempt to sell extremely high quality information at a very, very reasonable cost.

I am often criticized for shipping everything on CD instead of downloading it.

In my business model this is the way I believe I can offer the highest possible quality in a predictable manner.

I do my best to treat my customers as best I can. I error but then I am human.

Al Schneider

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2006, 6:55 pm

The speed at which it is done can be forgiven due to the circumstance. It was not difficult to follow when you are familier with the effect.

Sad to say, like virtually every variation on Matrix, this seems to lack understanding of what made Matrix worthwhile: the complete lack of manipulation of any kind.

Worse yet, it uses the horrible "Biddle steal" handling to manipulate the cards and coins, which makes me wince EVERY SINGLE TIME I see it.

Other than that, I failed to notice any method, phase or effect that I hadn't seen in other coin assemblies.

It's not that it's really bad, it's just really unnecessary.

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2006, 12:26 am

Bill like you I hate the biddle move but I like Al's move which I'v been using for year's , A veriation of my own which I use quite often & i'v never seen any where else is as follows, Have the four card's you are going to use face up on the face down deck in the left hand,then stud deal them on top of the coin's starting from bottom left, do the pick up on the third coin as usual & dont try to hide it as you go for the last card & load the coin under this last card . Kevin Fox.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » August 10th, 2006, 6:09 am

In what editions of Genii were Al's explanations and essays about Matrix published? A couple years ago, I believe, or?

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » August 10th, 2006, 6:50 pm

In Feb 2000 Genii there was an article called "Al Schneider and the Story of Matrix"

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » August 11th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Thanks, Joe. I just dug that one out, and discovered that Al's actual description of the trick method is in the March 2000 issue as well.

I knew it was a two- or three-issue series. I appreciate the tip.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”