Innercircle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Don Hendrix

Innercircle

Postby Don Hendrix » February 13th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Is anyone else unhappy with Innercircle by Mesika? The carrier for the loops is very nifty, but the instructions are only available online. As far as I can determine, the written instructions cannot be copied or even printed. This appears to me to be paranoia taken to the extreme. Do he really believe that folks will be happy with this and that someone, wiser than I, will not figure out a way to overcome his protection scheme and start printing and passing around the notes? Or, at the very least, should this not have been revealed to buyers before they purchased. Yes, I know it only cost $20, but I am extremely irritated when I cannot have a hard copy of something that I have paid for. End of rant.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Innercircle

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2014, 9:28 pm

It's easy enough to make a copy for yourself by copying your screen and then printing out the image.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 13th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Yes. I figured that out. But, should I have to do that. Yigal is clearly trying to prevent buyers from printing the "instructions".

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 14th, 2014, 8:29 am

Don Hendrix wrote:Yes. I figured that out. But, should I have to do that. Yigal is clearly trying to prevent buyers from printing the "instructions".

I guess he is worried that anyone could make up the thing he is selling for $20 for $2.

Whilst at the same time not worried about inconveniencing his customers.

Copy protection things like this never work. And pissing off your customers is MUCH more of a risk to your business than some people that were unlikely to ever buy from you pirating something they will more than likely never bother making up!

Doomo

Postby Doomo » February 14th, 2014, 10:33 am

Let us be honest here. He is a wack job. He patented LOOPS... A loop of elastic thread and he patented it. My lawyers are going to contact him because of his violation of my basc patents on water and fire...
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 14th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Not only did he successfully patent it, he forced everyone else--through threat of legal action--to stop using the word "loop" when selling loops of invisible thread.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 14th, 2014, 5:10 pm

So, is he "wacko" or just smart?

John Signa

Postby John Signa » February 14th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Reviewing Mesika's patents, I don't see any for loops. In fact, his patent for an elastic thread container states "Elastic loops have long been known in the art."

He does, however, have a registered trademark on "LOOPS"

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 14th, 2014, 7:40 pm

floss loops?

fruit loops?

loops used in building some kinds of music (drum beats for example)?

here's a loopy example: http://www.thettablog.blogspot.com/2013 ... uired.html
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » February 15th, 2014, 10:21 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:floss loops?

fruit loops?

loops used in building some kinds of music (drum beats for example)?

here's a loopy example: http://www.thettablog.blogspot.com/2013 ... uired.html

I had to change all the advertising for my aeronautical display show. Now all I can do is a band-the-band. :(

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 15th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Would someone explain to me the advantage of keeping your loops in a custom-made carrying case "specially engineered" to look like a credit card?

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » February 15th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:Would someone explain to me the advantage of keeping your loops in a custom-made carrying case "specially engineered" to look like a credit card?

Eeeeeeeeeeerm.........

.......... No.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » February 16th, 2014, 12:27 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:Would someone explain to me the advantage of keeping your loops in a custom-made carrying case "specially engineered" to look like a credit card?

I've never seen one, only have the patents for reference...

The case is designed to hold multiple loops to keep them separated and protected from snagging while being stored. From the filing:
For ease of storage and concealment, the card has a shape and size such that when folded, the card is of a substantially similar shape and size as a credit card for placement within a wallet.

So if you have something that is small enough to store in a wallet, why not make it look like something that belongs there?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 16th, 2014, 4:23 am

I have purchased and used Mesika's loops for over a decade and the card and envelope that they come in has always been adequate for storage.

Prior to a performance you just put one or two loops on your wrist, (as instructed in the Animated Miracles book) and you are all set.

I don't see were purchasing a storage device that looks like a credit card is of any added benefit. I suppose you could also devise a storage unit that looks like a cellphone or a pack of gum.

I guess there are some things I just don't understand ... like the theory of quantum chromodynamics, or the meaning of the word Eeeeeeeeeeerm.

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » February 16th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
[...] I guess there are some things I just don't understand ... like the theory of quantum chromodynamics, or the meaning of the word Eeeeeeeeeeerm.

Sorry, Brad. It was the sound of me trying to think of an actual benefit. Out of respect for you, my thought process extended for several more vowels than the usual "Erm".

Kind regards.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » February 23rd, 2014, 12:14 am

Mesika did not register "Loops" with the Copyright office. He did obtain a trademark for Loops. (As John Sigma mentioned above a few days ago). Here's a link to the trademark.

http://www.trademarken.com/trademark/77 ... gal_Mesika

And, yes, he does apparently go after folks who use the word "Loops"! Sebashtion Houston, maker of the Trinity System for easily making your own loops is required to call them "bands" in all his promotional material.

Jim

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 23rd, 2014, 2:19 am

J-Mac wrote:Mesika did not register "Loops" with the Copyright office. He did obtain a trademark for Loops. (As John Sigma mentioned above a few days ago). Here's a link to the trademark.

http://www.trademarken.com/trademark/77 ... gal_Mesika

And, yes, he does apparently go after folks who use the word "Loops"! Sebashtion Houston, maker of the Trinity System for easily making your own loops is required to call them "bands" in all his promotional material.

Jim

He has to go after them. If you have a trademark, and don't actively pursue infringers, you can lose it.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”