Roger Klause Sun and Moon Question

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Roger Klause Sun and Moon Question

Postby erdnasephile » September 13th, 2013, 8:05 am

I have a question about Roger Klause's Sun and Moon routine please.

In the description, it calls for an expanded English penny shell, a cooper/silver coin, and a regular half dollar.

Richard Kaufman wrote about this routine: "(Great routine)...if you can find the coins to do it."

My question is: What advantage would the above set have over the standard Sun/Moon set (which I assume uses an unexpanded coin/insert)?

I'm asking because I want to acquire a set of coins to work on this routine, but don't want to go to the extra expense of purchasing the coins separately if I can just do the routine just as well with a Sun/Moon set.

What's bugging me is that Klause was a detail oriented person, and there must have been some reason why he used that particular set--I just can't for the life of me figure out why.

Many thanks!

Bill McFadden

Re: Roger Klause Sun and Moon Question

Postby Bill McFadden » September 13th, 2013, 5:49 pm

RK is right: the coins are hard to find. Some time ago, Todd Lassen made me a set: Walking Liberty half/unexpanded copper shell/cut-down c/s. Unfortunately, you cannot do the trick with a standard expanded shell over a c/s coin. I know Todd was making them for a while, but don't recall seeing any posted on his blog lately. Trouble is, there's not much more you can do with the set except "Soleil et Lune." The coins and routine are as precise and as singular as Roger was.

PM here for details, as I could possibly consider letting mine go.

Mike P

Postby Mike P » September 13th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Lance Pierce explains a little more about the set used for this routine on the Friends of Roger Klause video. He also teaches the routine. Connie Hadden made the set for Roger.

Todd still makes sets that can be used to do this routine.
I use my UWC set for it as it allows me to do it with Silver or Copper. If you know the routine and the set mentioned you understand. You will need the extra cut down coins for it with UWC.

The TWIAD set is what Todd calls the other one that can be used for the Soliel routine.

Mike

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 14th, 2013, 1:55 am

Hi, Guys:

Just watched the FORK2 video with Lance Pierce. I get it now--thanks!

(Bill, I sent you a PM regarding your set).

Thanks again1

Return to “Close-Up Magic”