Cannibal Presentation

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Steve Ehlers

Cannibal Presentation

Postby Steve Ehlers » February 10th, 2003, 1:24 pm

In Darwin's new book, which I think is very good, he explains his version of the Cannibal Kings. He made an interesting comment saying he feels the premise for the trick should reflect something other than cannibals. He mentions Morlocks and Eloi, or the donner party, or shipwrecked sailors, zombies, etc. My thought here is that unless the spectators are pretty magic savvy, they probably have not seen the trick before and the cannibal presentation would seem funny and intriguing. Just curious on what others think about this.

Steve

Bill Wheeler

Re: Cannibal Presentation

Postby Bill Wheeler » February 10th, 2003, 2:19 pm

Hi Steve--

I too was intrigued with Darwin's handling of "The Cannibals." When I read his comments about changing the nature of the presentation (shipwrecked sailors etc. instead of cannibals); I interpreted it more as a call for magicians to branch out beyond a presentation that he felt had become hackneyed or overdone.

I would agree that the presentation of cannibals and missionaries could be intriguing; but the problem is more in a bad presentation by the magician.

Incidentally there was a show on HBO about cannibals yesterday...yet more ammo to create a presentation.

Food for thought :rolleyes:

Bill
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2003, 4:02 pm

Hello Steve,
Instead of using the Kings I prefer to use the Aces and call them Aliens who vaporize the unfortunate souls. The victims are then put into a chamber and restored.
Not a long stretch from the Cannibals plot but just my take on the presentation.

Take care all.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » February 11th, 2003, 1:19 am

I always thought that the cannibals plot, as done in magic, seemed dated...as well as faintly racist, in addition to being historically incorrect.

It's based on what had become a standard joke in the 50's -- the missionaries who go down to "convert the savages" but end up in their giant soup-pot. Old cartoons you find in magazines from the period show, as the set-up, two guys sitting in a giant pot and exchanging some gag; the premise was assumed because it was common. It was similar to the guy stranded on a desert island who finds a bottle with a message in it.

The racist part I think is self-evident; the historical inaccuracy is that cannibals didn't just eat people as food, treating them like cows or pigs.

It was much more symbolic than that. They captured, killed, and ate the enemy warriors.

Jeff

Thomas Van Aken

Postby Thomas Van Aken » February 11th, 2003, 4:01 am

Hello Steve,
I agree with you, when performing for lay peoples, there is a lot of chance that you are the first competant close up performer they ever see (and as James Swain put in print:"you are setting the standard"). If you stay away of very common stuff (sponge balls, invisible deck, vanishing handkerchief...) you have a repertoire that most of your spectator have never seen before.
If you mention the cannibal cards (or oil and water or coins across or...) at a magic club meeting, you can be sure that everybody has either see it perform at a lecture or on a video, have read a description of a version of the routine, some have even played with it...
It's over common standard stuff among magicians...
The important question is: How many of them have such as routine in their own performing repertoire ?"
Thomas

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2003, 4:33 am

It's a bit of a double edged sword this one isn't it? Whilst the "Cannibals plot seems over done among card workers(And no matter what the method the script stays the same) The lay audience has probably not experienced it that often as it is, a deceptive sleight of hand effect with many methods, from the Lin Searls original onwards. What i'm trying to say here is you can take a plot like cannibals give it your own handling and it's a trick no one has really seen before. It's not like the invisible deck or the card on the ceiling. There are miriad of ways to do and present it. I'm greatly in favour of giving a plot your own variation of script, especially when it's your own trick. At the same time I don't think we have anything to worry about calling them cannibals(Even at the magic club if the methods a killer, because that's all you magic friends care about...They don't give a monkey's about "Effect" At the end of my CC routine they all change into the good old eights, you know; eight and eight etc. None of my card friends had the foggiest because I do the switch really really early man!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one

Basically I think one should be encouraged to develop one's own tricks and dialogue in card magic but I don't think there's too much to fear from the audience hearing about cannibals, Most of them don't see artistic sleight of hand card magic that often.

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2003, 4:43 am

I quite like David Solomon's handling of this from Solomon's Mind (i have it on DVD). He makes a munching sound and at the same time bends the cards up and down from the front and sides a few times to mimic the eating action. Is this common in the Cannibals routine or is the handling unique to David Solomon? In fact, the cards can make the munching sounds all by themselves by holding them in Biddle grip and getting them to make a clicking noise by alternatively pushing down with the right forefinger from above and the left forefinger from below as you bend them up and down.

Dean, you might like to know that Solomon also uses the eights ("ate") in a similar fashion, but a little earlier in his routine if i recall.

HT

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2003, 8:48 am

Yea happy.

I don't know where this eights thing came from actually. I have a feeling it may be Jerry Sadowitz but I'm really not sure...If Jerry's out there I'd love to know. I know that he did use the gag in his trick CARD ABUSE....I Think?

I'm interested as to how Soloman incorporates the gag earlier though.....Do tell happy.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 11th, 2003, 10:14 am

I wish I could remember the dates... it probably was in the '60s or '70s... but Matt Corin and I worked out a Cannibal Card routine and showed it to Marlo.

Racherbaumer is needed here to help clarify.

The bit of holding the cards and making them chew and "click" (I called it a BURP :eek: ) was mine... also, calling the King with the sword in his head, "The Crazy King :p " was also mine...

Lin Serles, (SP?) who created the original trick (I believe it is still available from www.owenmagic.com) used gaffed cards.

Jon, What say you? :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2003, 11:17 am

Originally posted by Dean Atkinson:

I'm interested as to how Soloman incorporates the gag earlier though.....Do tell happy.
From memory...

It's after two missionaries have been "eaten". He places the Cannibal Kings (he calls them the "Cannibal of Hearts", the "Cannibal of Clubs" etc.) back into the deck along with a Queen and thumbs of two eights, saying "They eight/ate and they eight/ate..." He cuts the pack and later transforms the Cannibals into four Queens. The description on his web site says: "There is a novel ending to fit the story. David worked out this effect with the brilliant help of Ed Marlo for a stunning climax."

HT

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 11th, 2003, 11:49 am

A few years back I worked out (but never tried for real people) a presentation for the Cannibal Kings, with the goal of goosing up the climax.

The basic idea was that after the signed selection vanished, each king would be partially inserted into an airsick bag, after which the selection was removed from the bag. The Bulemic Cannibal Kings, I called it.

In the right hands and for the right audience this could be great, but it could also die a horrible death.

However, the card to bag climax (using the same basic method as The Black Envelope) seemed to me to have some value as an "impossible" climax that made sense within the presentation.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 11th, 2003, 1:01 pm

Anyone using Card To Mouth as an ending for the Cannibal cards?
;)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 11th, 2003, 3:11 pm

Now that makes sense. Do you leave it there? Or produce it? :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » February 12th, 2003, 4:09 pm

I would think that with the popularity of Hannibal Lechter the Cannibal Cards presentation would go over well. I wouldn't know, because I never do any Cannibal Cards routines. I also think it's true that Darwin was encouraging everyone to be creative with their magic.

Kevin Baker

Postby Kevin Baker » February 13th, 2003, 1:58 am

Originally posted by Mike Cookman:
I would think that with the popularity of Hannibal Lechter the Cannibal Cards presentation would go over well....
Mike,

Great idea.

Instead of cannibals you could have dinner guests, unaware of what they are really eating...

Kevin

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2003, 2:35 am

Yea, If you used four kings as the cannibals you could say the first one is Tony Hopkins from Silence of the Lambs, the second is Hopkins in Hannibal, the third is him in Red dragon and the fourth is.....The forth is erm....Well its Tony Hopkins in Dracula, OH! actually it's just Dracula but he eats people to so we're ok!"

Camp? It juuuuuuust might work.

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » February 14th, 2003, 5:04 pm

Thanks, Kevin. And say, maybe Hopkins would be interested in all this. He did play a magician in the movie, Magic. You can see him do a coin roll in that flick.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2003, 5:33 pm

This is something I do and I would be interested in knowing what people think. I begin by doing the trick known as "Time Machine" to introduce the idea of going forward and backwards in time. I then Bring out out the kings and say "Let me begin with four kings" I do a collectors routine. I have a way of going from here to Bil Goodwin's Cannibals. So now I offer to do the ttrick again but I have to go back in time to the ppoint when the cards were selected so that I can ddo the trick again. One by one each of the sselections vanishes from in-between the Kings. I then I say "I will now end as I began , with 4 kings" I'd love to hear what people think of this.

Noah Levine

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2003, 9:16 pm

Originally posted by NoahLevine:
So now I offer to do the trick again but I have to go back in time to the ppoint when the cards were selected so that I can ddo the trick again. One by one each of the sselections vanishes from in-between the Kings. I then I say "I will now end as I began , with 4 kings" I'd love to hear what people think of this.

Noah Levine
Roy Walton had a trick like that in Cardboard Charades, called "Travellers in Time". I only remember because I used to do the trick ages ago. He makes three changes to the condition of the cards, then steps the deck back through time to undo them one by one. It's a good trick. I added a bit about noting the time of each action on your watch, then literally turning the hands of the watch backwards before each reversal of effect occurrs. The ending I always wanted to do was to turn the hands back too far by accident, and have the deck become a block of wood and the watch a [censored]. Or maybe a sundial.

Anyone know if Cardboard Charades is still in print?

Best,

Geoff

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 14th, 2003, 11:02 pm

Originally posted by Geoff Latta:
The ending I always wanted to do was to turn the hands back too far by accident, and have the deck become a block of wood and the watch a [censored]. Or maybe a sundial.
That's a pretty tall order. How about...

The deck becomes unprinted (blank) and the watch changes from digital to analog? The hardest part would be finding a pair of watches that looks enough alike to feel like a transformation instead of a switch.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 14th, 2003, 11:39 pm

Turn the deck into one of those old handpainted decks with no indexes.

The idea of a watch that takes you through time, and the watch itself changes into a sundial, is brilliant.

Gene B

Postby Gene B » February 15th, 2003, 4:26 am

Noah--
You mentioned you did Bill Goodwin's Cannibals--Do you know where this is written up?
Thanks,
Gene B

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2003, 6:34 am

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
That's a pretty tall order. How about...

The deck becomes unprinted (blank) and the watch changes from digital to analog? The hardest part would be finding a pair of watches that looks enough alike to feel like a transformation instead of a switch.
The really hard part is getting the props, as you say. What I wanted was a tiny sundial that's built like a shell coin so it can be palmed onto/over the watch crystal. You have it palmed in your right hand, the block of wood (shaped like a deck so the edges will pass if they're not really looking hard) is in gambler's cop. The real deck goes on top and you dump it in your lap (Carlyle switch) as your left hand turns over to check the time. Screening with your right (as if you were trying to read your watch in sunlight) left hand turns back over (hiding sundial), right hand immediately takes the deck and tables it. While the change is registering, casually turn left hand down exposing sundial.

The blocking should work, the "regular" part of the trick is long over and they're relaxed a bit. The gag is "Make sure you turn back the minute hand, not the calendar function". Toss in gags about having to do things over, like wait at the DMV, go to High School again, etc.

One of these days I'll build the damn thing.

Best,

Geoff

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 15th, 2003, 8:27 am

Originally posted by Geoff Latta:
Anyone know if Cardboard Charades is still in print?
I think it's included in the 2 volume "Collected Roy Walton" published by Davenports.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2003, 9:59 am

The Goodwin notes are called the 1988 lecture notes. I was also thinking it could be cool to get stuck in some kind of time warp. I was also thinking of having the cards end up under my watch.

Noah Levine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”