Harry Lorayne e-books

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Harry Lorayne

Harry Lorayne e-books

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 2nd, 2013, 11:28 am

Hi: Just want to let you know that all my books, lecture notes, etc., are now available in e-books. Don't know if I'm allowed to place the list/prices here, so if you're interested and would like that list - email me at harrylorayne@earthlink.net . Best - Harry L.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Harry Lorayne e-books

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2013, 11:34 am

Harry, feel free to list everything here with prices if you like.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 2nd, 2013, 11:48 am

Here's the direct link, with all the pricing.

http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/ ... ategory=68

lybrary

Postby lybrary » May 2nd, 2013, 1:11 pm

Harry, I am very happy to see that all your written output in magic is finally available in electronic form. I have tried to convince you of the benefits for many years without success. So I am really glad to see that one can finally get your books and journal in digital form, search them, read them on the go, ... I thought it would never happen. Well done!

Only bummer is that they are simply scanned PDFs and not nicely converted and formatted PDFs but it is much better than not having them available at all in digital form. But maybe that will happen at some time later.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 2nd, 2013, 1:31 pm

Okay; let's see if I can copy/paste the list, prices, here - so long as I have permission to do so. Please order directly from me, at harrylorayne@earthlink.net. (Although the links may be sent to you from Conjuring Arts. Best - Harry L.

E-BOOK LIST (PDF) PRICE LIST

APOCALYPSE YEARLY VOLUMES – $14.99 PER YEARLY VOLUME …
12 ISSUES PER VOLUME – 1978, 1979, 1980…1997. (Just say
the year [or years] you want.)

CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC - $15.95
PERSONAL SECRETS - $9.99
MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS - $9.99
DECK-STERITY - $11.99
DINGLE’S DECEPTIONS - $9.99
REPUTATION-MAKERS - $19.99
THE GREAT DIVIDE - $9.99
RIM SHOTS – $19.99
AFTERTHOUGHTS - $14.99
THE EPITOME LOCATION - $9.99
THE MAGIC BOOK - $19.99
THE CARD CLASSICS OF KEN KRENZEL - $19.99
DOUG EDWARDS PACKS A WALLOP - $14.99
QUANTUM LEAPS - $19.99
BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol. 1 - $24.99
BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol. 2 - $24.99
BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol. 3 - $24.99
STAR QUALITY - $19.99
TREND SETTERS - $19.99
THE HIMBER WALLET BOOK - $24.99
PERSONAL COLLECTION - $49.99
MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY - $29.99
LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1 - $49.99
LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 2 - $49.99
LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 3 - $49.99
LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 4 - $49.99
SPECIAL EFFECTS - $49.99
TEACH-IN LECTURE - $9.99
LECTURE NOTES - $9.99

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 2nd, 2013, 2:06 pm

Oh, only scanned PDFs?

I'd buy all of the ones I am missing if they were proper ebooks, but a scanned PDF isn't much use

Shame

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2013, 2:07 pm

I much prefer pdfs that retain the original design of the book.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » May 2nd, 2013, 2:14 pm

Richard, it is possible to retain the original design. We just did Modern Magic by Hoffman in a completely new PDF edition and you will probably not see any difference, because we have kept the layout and page design as close to the original as possible. It is a light weight and beautiful PDF. So if you put in the work you can have your cake and eat it, too. We at Lybrary.com do all of that and more :-)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 2nd, 2013, 2:59 pm

On a larger tablet (10 inches+) a simple scan to pdf might do. On a smaller tablet (7 inches) reading scanned pdf's can be a real pain in the ass.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2013, 4:04 pm

What size is an iPad? Over 9 inches, right?

I don't mind double-tapping and scrolling. I find that far superior to small printed pages that cannot be double-tapped and enlarged (usually you just have a choice of three font sizes, which I find insufficient).

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 2nd, 2013, 4:20 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:What size is an iPad? Over 9 inches, right?

I don't mind double-tapping and scrolling. I find that far superior to small printed pages that cannot be double-tapped and enlarged (usually you just have a choice of three font sizes, which I find insufficient).

Well, consider on something like reading Genii (via the android app) on my 7 inch tablet (Nexus 7). While the columnar format makes it ok to read the scanned pages (via double tapping, scrolling) reading a longer piece (like the recent Doug Henning article) I went to the option of the app that allows me to see properly flowed, re-sizable text. And it was a real pleasure to read Genii that way. Now for something like a trick explanation, it's obviously not optimal, but for a long article, it's great.

With the tools out there today, it's a lot easier to convert a book to a proper e-pub of the like, even up to (and including) the photos in their proper places.

With smaller tablets (ipad mini, nexus 7, amazon tablets) starting to outsell larger form factors, it's probably something that should be considered.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 2nd, 2013, 4:37 pm

EPUB>PDF

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 2nd, 2013, 5:44 pm

As most of you know, I am a terrible computer person. But, I can tell you what some of the experts at Conjuring Arts told me when I mentioned some of the great posts I saw here. Let's see - PDFs are great...you see the ORIGINAL layout (no mistakes), and can be used on any device - computers, tablets, etc., can be used by the MAJORITY of people. Most important to me - I'm a "down to the nitty-gritty" person - PDFs are much less expensive. That fact was crucial to my decision to do this AT ALL. Also PDFs are the world-wide standard. I've also been told that it's best to do a PDF with older books, like most of mine - just as one expert above did (even though there's a slight put-down there because Conjuring Arts did the same. Interesting, no?).

As always, to each his own. You know what? I'd prefer you purchase the hard copies from me, anyway! (Shame!) Best - Harry L.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 2nd, 2013, 6:09 pm

PS: Just an example of some of the many emails, calls, etc., I've been getting --
"... in fact, PDFs allow to "text search" where images can only be searched visually and manually. So I prefer PDF which save time." So there! HL.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 2nd, 2013, 6:33 pm

That is only possible if the PDF has been OCRed - if the document is made up of scanned pages (which is what is being reported) then there is no text indexing. I think this is what Chris W was talking about.

Also, Chris A mentioned a pertinent point; with scanned pages there is no reflow; now this is harder to implement with complex layouts, but it makes things easier to read on smaller screens. For example, his 7" screen means more scrolling to read a page of text, but with a properly compiled PDF the text will flow to fit the window.

At the end of the day, PDFs are easy to cobble together, and yes, they are still the de facto standard.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 2nd, 2013, 6:38 pm

I bow to the experts!! HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 3rd, 2013, 12:40 pm

What I was told by Conjuring Arts - their PDFs ARE made up of images and ARE text searchable. Put in a word and search/find it in any one of my book, all of APOCALYPSE, and so on. That's one of the main points. Let me be frank here - I really don't know what the great experts above are talking about (can't help wondering if they do!) - nor DO I CARE. Best - Harry L.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2013, 12:52 pm

All the pdfs on Ask Alexander are searchable--these should be no different.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 1:27 pm

CARC wrote:Immediately downloadable PDF versions of your favorite magic material: OCRed, searchable, and in full color!

While I strongly prefer dead tree books, I'm very tempted to buy one or two of the harder to find volumes in pdf format. The prices are certainly very fair and I applaud Halo for allowing this. CARC has done a very nice job with the Genii Archive scans and I assume the quality here is comparable.

Jackie Huang

Postby Jackie Huang » May 3rd, 2013, 1:50 pm

Are these e-books signed? :D

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 3rd, 2013, 2:12 pm

Not that I know of.

Robert Meisch

Postby Robert Meisch » May 3rd, 2013, 2:53 pm

This is exciting news.

So, Mr. Kaufman, will you be following Mr. Lorayne's lead by any chance? Will we be seeing your work converted to ebook format? You have hinted so in the past.

Thanks,

Robert

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » May 5th, 2013, 11:35 am

Just want to let you know that all my books, lecture notes, etc., are now available in e-books.

Thanks for making these available in e-book form!

I know that I seem to be in minority on this forum, but e-books are my preferred way to read. I am in the process of converting all of my paper books to e-book format.

This weekend I purchased "LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volumes 2 & 3". These are great books and I have been having a great reading them again!

BTW: The books are fully searchable.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2013, 12:34 pm

I am so busy working on Genii and preparing several new books for publication, that the work of converting my entire published output to eBooks is not something I can really contemplate at the moment, though of course it is inevitable that it will be done, and probably sooner rather than later.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 5th, 2013, 9:01 pm

The PDF vs eBook format issue should be simple to understand. A PDF is essentially a picture of page. That's great if you care most about the page looking like the book. If you are trying to READ the text, there are better options.

Consider the size of, for example, COINMAGIC. Now consider how that layout would look if it shrunk to fit an iPad Mini or Nexus 7. It makes for a pretty poor reading experience. It's barely acceptable on a full sized Ipad.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 6th, 2013, 10:20 am

I'll go along with this:

This weekend I purchased "LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volumes 2 & 3". These are great books and I have been having a great time reading them again!

BTW: The books are fully searchable.

traceyherbert

Postby traceyherbert » May 6th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Thankfully, i own all these books so i don't have to consider buying them.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 6th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Darn!!!

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 8th, 2013, 10:18 am

As of today, that list of PDFs/prices, etc. - the same one that's posted in this thread, is now also on my magic website (harryloraynemagic.com) - if you click on "Magic E-Books" you'll see the list. Best - Harry L.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » May 8th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Harry Lorayne wrote:harryloraynemagic.com

Quite a fortunate domain name you have, Harry. ...emagic.com fits your ebooks perfectly.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 8th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Not sure I know what you mean... or is it the harryloraynEMAGIC.com you're referring to? Best - HL.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » May 8th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Harry, maybe this helps:

book -> ebook
magic -> emagic

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 8th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Thought that's what I said. But not very important. HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 21st, 2013, 6:32 pm

I've been getting great reactions, great testimonials, about the e-books. I'm glad, of course. Seems all are quite pleased with the PDFs just as they are - at least I've not received anything in any way negative about them - in spite of the couple of "negativers" above. It's interesting to me...I personally would never, ever, say anything negative publicly about someone else's up-for-sale stuff. Not saying I think all is/are great - it's just that I would NEVER make a negative statement publicly, as one above - unless it had something to do with me personally. Why in the world would I - why hurt someone else's sales - someone who may NEED those sales (fortunately, I don't; like 'em, but don't NEED 'em). Not that that's what happened - fortunately most know that I don't put out, or allow to be put out, bad items of any kind - so the negative remarks are...well what they are! Tells you (me, anyway) something about those "negativers." Anyway, check out the list of PDFs available here - or go to my magic website - harryloraynemagic.com - and check 'em out.

Andy Young
Favorite Magician: Daryl, John Mendoza

Postby Andy Young » May 24th, 2013, 1:17 am

I always just convert my pdf files to fit my kindle is I need to.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » May 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

How do you convert them to make the PDFs fit your Kindle?
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 24th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Boy, was I lucky when I got into magic all those decades ago. No PDFs, no e-books, no computers, no I-Pads, I-Pods or I-Peeds, no Kindles. And not even books at first. But, then, I found books!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 24th, 2013, 5:38 pm

How do you convert them to make the PDFs fit your Kindle?

There are a few ways to do this, of varying efficacy and complexity.

If the PDF has been compiled as a tagged PDF, it will display natively with flowing text. If you want to compile to a MOBI, there are a few more steps; one method would be to load the PDF into Reader X and export it to a Word doc (if the permissions allow this). Then you can run the Word doc through MobiPocket creator to compile the .opf file and open that in Kindle Previewer to compile that to .mobi, which you can then load into the Documents folder of your Kindle.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 24th, 2013, 5:57 pm

See what I mean? How lucky I was? I didn't have to do these things - not that I'd understand them; I don't understand them now! Just a book - never needed instructions on how to turn a physical page.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 24th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Harry, don't feel bad. I don't understand what Ian wrote, either. But he's pretty knowledgeable about all this stuff. We're not.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”