Most Powerful Card Tricks

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
HighQ

Most Powerful Card Tricks

Postby HighQ » July 29th, 2001, 5:44 pm

Packet tricks have been discussed, now how about regular card tricks? The most powerful I've done is James Swain's Air Mail Card. I used to have the person sign the card, but after it ended up in my wallet it was so overwhelming to them that all I heard was how did you copy my signature. So now I have them draw a little picture next to their name. Now they don't say a word because they are truly speechless. Thanks James!

Re: Most Powerful Card Tricks

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2001, 7:49 am

Most powerful card tricks? The ones on my list are:

1. Out of This World
2. McDonald's Aces
3. Dream Card - (Darwin Ortiz's Card To Wallet)

This is assuming these effects are performed properly. In the hands of a master magician, these effects are incredible.

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2001, 1:36 pm

I will second the nomination of Out of This World.

When someone hands you a $100 bill for one routine and says, "There's another one in it for you if you come to my party next week and do that for my friends.", you know you have a strong routine.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Tom Cutts ]

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 4th, 2001, 7:22 am

McDonald's Aces has always served me very well. I can always count on it for surefire effect and it's pretty hard to top as ace routines go in my humble opinion.

Card to Wallet a la Mullica Wallet is always a killer too!

Oh I can't forget Carlyle's Signed Card to Pocket from Stars of Magic

Those are my everyday killers. Regards, Robert :)

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2001, 11:14 am

Paul Harris' "Anything Deck" is a very powerful trick. Especially if they pick a meaningful word. OOTW is excellent as well.

Jason Mauney

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 4th, 2001, 11:39 am

In 1947 a poll was taken by Fred Braue in Hugrard's Magic Monthly concerning the best card trick.

Then, more than 50 years ago, Out of This World was the single trick receiving the most votes. It seems it remains so strong so many years later. Thank you Paul Curry.

(A summary of the poll can be found on page 342 of the August 1947 issue.)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 4th, 2001, 12:30 pm

With so many votes for "Out of this World," I thought all of you might be interested to know that Stephen Minch's next book is devoted to Paul Curry, set for release later this year. It will be HUGE, with fantastic material!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2001, 7:59 pm

Also speaking about OOTW. I never did the normal OOTW because I never understood it. But I recently went to a Eugene Burger lecture and I learned an even more powerful OOTW. It is where the spectator shuffles the cards and you go into it. That makes more sense to me. I hoghly suggest you look into this impromptu Out of this World. :cool:

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » August 8th, 2001, 9:29 pm

In regard to understanding understanding OOTW, too many people snap their fingers before revealing the separated colors, which doesn't make sense in this case. It's a common misunderstanding. You are not supposed to transform the cards. The spectator is the one who managed to segregate the colors, maybe under your spell if you wish. The magic moment in this case is not an instant but the whole time it takes to deal the cards.

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Rafael Benatar ]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2001, 10:44 pm

One of the best methods for OOTW is Harry Lorayne's "Impromptu Out of this World" in, I think, Personal Secrets.
I did his "Out of this Universe) from Close-Up Card Magic for many years.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 19th, 2001, 3:50 am

Originally posted by Andini:
Also speaking about OOTW. I never did the normal OOTW because I never understood it. But I recently went to a Eugene Burger lecture and I learned an even more powerful OOTW. It is where the spectator shuffles the cards and you go into it. That makes more sense to me. I hoghly suggest you look into this impromptu Out of this World. :cool:

Eugene uses UF Grant's version if memory serves...

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2001, 4:36 am

recently i've been using paul harris's galaxy. as this seems to be turning into a bit of an "out of this world" discussion, can we perhaps discuss the clean up after OOTW? everyone seems to have their own little ideas. let's talk about the best approach.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 19th, 2001, 7:31 am

John Blaze asks for "cleanups" for OOTW. Here's what I do.

I pick up the "wrong" pile first and as I do, I right jog the bottom card (the face up card that was the first leader card of this packet)and then I spread the packet ("sliding key card" principle) until I come to the face up card in the center ( the second leader card of the packet).

Then, I break the packet into two by putting my left thumb on that face up card and separating my hands. I drop the right hand packet on the table (that is now a correct packet).

I drop the top face up card that's on the packet in my left hand on the table and show all the face down cards in my left hand are correct.

Then I slowly show the three packets on the table are correct.

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2001, 2:04 pm

very smooth jerry, i like it. thanks for sharing.

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » August 23rd, 2001, 3:20 pm

May I suggest something that might be lesser known in the US; Nicholas Einhorn's Spooked.
It is the Haunted deck effect(a classic in itself) for the 21st century.
After performing this I have to hide myself!
It is the single most requested cardroutine in my repertoire(wich also includes Dream Card, OOTW, Card in Box among others)

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2001, 12:53 pm

I suppose by clean up you mean rectifying the color discrepancy. I like Paul Harris' clean up for the simple reason it paints the clearest picture...all the colors are on their respective side. There is no awkward switch of colors mid way.

This plays into the clarity of the routine.

David Penn

Postby David Penn » August 26th, 2001, 4:57 pm

Richard:
Will Minch's book contain new material or will it mostly consist of already published ideas found in books such as "Paul Curry Presents" or "Special Effects"?

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2001, 6:34 pm

This is straying a bit from the natural progression of this thread (ootw).
The single most powerful card trick taht I have ever done was an absolute fluke that happened first to a friend then most recently to myself. Let me explain I perform regularly at EPCOT (a theme park at Walt Disney World), one night I had a lady choose a card from the pack.I asked her to look at it and she screamed, literally, not a sueal but a scream she dropped the card and backed away shaking her head saying it couldn't be.
Her friends were doing much the same thing.
I thought perhaps she had a favorite card or something and she fortuitously took her card.
To my surprise what had happened was this.
Earlier in the day I had performed for a group of people and had a number of cards signed. One lady had a name with an unuasual spelling. It just so happened that the woman I was currently performing for had the EXACT same name and the EXACT same spelling. This stunned them of course I played it off as what I had wanted to do (actually I was really wanting to do a crad to wallet). Needless to say I didn't do any other tricks for them. That ladies and gentlemen is the most powerful card trick I have ever performed. I only wish I could duplicate this effect on a regular basis.
Cheers,
Jay

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2001, 2:15 pm

maybe she screamed because she thought you were a stalker, hahah.Thats a great story

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 3rd, 2001, 3:26 pm

The most powerful response I've ever gotten to a card trick is "The Dark Card" by the Camirand Academy.

The basic effect is that the spectator signs a blue-backed card which is revealed at the climax to be red-backed.

The difference with The Dark Card is that the spectator handles the signed card freely and can see both sides. It's a blue-backed card when they sign it.

I have used two routines with this. In the first, the card is signed, then revealed in a repeat sandwich, followed by a repeat card to envelope. Finally the back change is revealed as the climax.

I've also used this in an Ambitious Card routine in which the ambitious card is signed by several people around the table during the routine.

My sister's reaction says it all. "Those other tricks were impossible, but this... this is just unimaginable."

If your dealer doesn't carry it you can find the Dark Card at Camirandmagic.com . Best ten dollars I ever spent.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2001, 12:45 pm

I wanted to add a story to this thread. I am constantly seeing the Out of this World effect being brought up. I had just arrived at my regular venue and I was asked to perform particularly for one group. In that group there was a man 96 years young. After I was through I did my thank you's and was preparing to leave the table when the aforementioned gentleman spoke. He thanked me for performing for his family. He told me he never really dabbled in the art although when he was a younger man he had learned a trick from a friend of his that would fool the socks off anyone he had ever shown it to. He couldn't remember the name but he explained Out of this World. He said the most beautiful thing about the trick was that it was simplicity in itself.
I think that says it all.
So there you go Mr. Curry well done!

Mr. Alexander

Postby Mr. Alexander » September 3rd, 2009, 11:17 pm

Tommy wonder's Magic Ranch is one I have to say has done very well for me!

Eric Fry

Postby Eric Fry » September 4th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Judging by audience reaction, which is the only way to judge this, I'd have to say a no-deck 52-card equivoque presented as a story that takes place in the spectator's imagination.

The prediction, of course, has been in a spectator's keeping or in view from the beginning. Perfect for a one-person audience, but also works with a larger one. People become absorbed in the process. Again and again, 've seen jaws really drop, people literally gasp, eyes actually bug out.

I haven't been able to beat it with a skill-based trick, although a long version of Everywhere & Nowhere, in which you show three indifferent cards at first, gets very strong reactions.

PMS

Postby PMS » December 26th, 2009, 8:01 pm

My current closer for a show is signed card inside egg inside a chicken. For close up, back in time or think, touch, and turn.

Jonathan Arturo

Postby Jonathan Arturo » December 29th, 2009, 8:28 pm

I have one I would like to add, it is an effect called Premonition Outdone. I don't know who it is by but it is very strong!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 1st, 2010, 6:55 pm

I think (but I'm note sure) that "Premonition Outdone" is a Steve Shufton effect.

johno

Postby johno » January 1st, 2010, 8:48 pm

Where can I learn more about James Swain's Air Mail Card?

Thanks - johno

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 2nd, 2010, 1:52 pm

Eric Fry wrote:Judging by audience reaction, which is the only way to judge this, I'd have to say a no-deck 52-card equivoque presented as a story that takes place in the spectator's imagination.

If you buy "Disposable Deck" you get David Regal's version of this plot with a fantastic finish. The same routine is included in Scripting Magic, minus the props, of course. If you are familiar with this, you can replace the DD with a QH that has a PH Vanishing Deck attached, for a slightly different finish which doesn't use up a disposable deck each time.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”