Card Under Glass

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Card Under Glass

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2002, 11:59 pm

I'm writing a small treatise on Card Under the Glass--which I've been performing for years now--and am looking up all pertinent routines on the trick.

I've looked at routines by:

*Heba Haba Al
*Doc Eason
*J.C. Wagner
*Terry Lunceford
*David Harkey

Are there any other good routines that I should look into?

I'm also looking into good Card Under Box routines, like the one by Gregory Wilson on CARD STUNTS.

Also, I'm fascinated that so many people seem to think that Heba Haba Al invented Card Under Glass. Given the simplicity of the routine, I can't help but think that other people performed the routine before him in pubs and bars.

Any ideas, guys?

Sean Piper

Re: Card Under Glass

Postby Sean Piper » July 31st, 2002, 4:07 am

Off the top of my head...

Pointing the Way (David Regal - Close Up & Personal)

Underhanded (John Bannon - Smoke & Mirrors)

From what I've read, I believe that Bannon's routine is somewhat significant in that it was one of the first to employ vertical misdirection, rather than horizontal. Please feel free to correct me on that?!?!?!

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » July 31st, 2002, 4:44 am

Chad Long has a repeat card under glass in one his "Lost Cheesy Notebook" lecture notes. Very cool idea.

Mike

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 31st, 2002, 7:46 am

Acer may not "tip" but his Glass Under Card beats them all. ;)
Stay tooned.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » July 31st, 2002, 8:31 am

Variations on the theme: Pat Page; Jamy Swiss.

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2002, 10:34 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Acer may not "tip" but his Glass Under Card beats them all. ;)
It's my understanding that some magicians believe Card Under the Glass to be a second-rate trick because:

1. It doesn't use any fancy moves (a point that's debatable, to be sure)
2. A certain portion of the audience knows that you just put the card under the drink when they weren't looking, and that's not real magic
3. It's a gotcha trick, and thus makes the audience feel bad.

Anybody agree? (I don't, but want to know if you do. I was surprised, for example, to see so many people object to the 3-card monte in a previous thread.)

Jeremy Medows

Postby Jeremy Medows » July 31st, 2002, 11:03 am

Guy Hollingworth has a card under box/card to box routine in Drawing Room Deceptions. I believe that the card under the box just isn't as much fun and impactful as the card under the glass.

Check out JC Wagner's performance on his first A-1 video. Wagner's book explains everything, but you have to see him in action. I was still a layman when I first saw the JC Wagner performance, and it totally blew me away.

If memory serves me correctly, there's a handling in the big Dingle book.

Doc Eason does the CUG on one of his videos.

Jeremy

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » July 31st, 2002, 11:05 am

I have had very positive responses when I perform Card Under Glass. I don't present it as a "gotcha" type of trick. You might not fool everyone all of the time but it is still an excellent effect. It is definitely one of my favorite revelations. It is one that will keep your spectators talking. I use a bottom palm to load the card under the glass. As long as the misdirection fools and entertains the audience, thats the bottom line. Awhile ago I was very focused on learning a perfect sidesteal. One magician told me to fall in love with the effect not the slight. It is a interesting point.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 31st, 2002, 2:23 pm

Don't have the book at hand but I believe there's a Card under Box as part of a longer routine in Derren Browns "Pure Effect."

thecardman

Postby thecardman » July 31st, 2002, 2:47 pm

Chris Power and JJ (of "Opus Magazine") came out with a double card under glass on one of their videos, either Laid Back Too or The Director's Cut, I cannot remember which.

Oh yeah, and on this subject, although I do not think his handling has ever been published, I have 2 small words - "Gordon" and "Bruce". 'Nuff Said!!!

Peter
:-)

sleightly

Postby sleightly » July 31st, 2002, 3:22 pm

In my "Shared Experience" lecture notes I have "52 to Tango", my fusion of card under glass, card to forehead, and card to wallet...

I use it to illustrate several of the theatrical principles in my lecture and my upcoming book...

ajp

The Shared Experience: An Approach on the Presentation of Magic

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » July 31st, 2002, 4:11 pm

Gary Kurtz has a great handling in Leading With Your Head and Paul Cummings has a card under card box in his latest FASDIU 2.

Yves Tourigny

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2002, 4:11 pm

Originally posted by David Groves:
It's my understanding that some magicians believe Card Under the Glass to be a second-rate trick because:

---snip ---

Anybody agree? (I don't, but want to know if you do...)
It would seem that the real test of whether a trick is any good or not is the how the audience responds to it. The observable truth is that handled well the card under the glass is a great trick.

Doncha think? :D

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 31st, 2002, 5:24 pm

I agree with TenCard. The card under glass may not be the most magical of effects, but it sure can provide a great deal of entertainment, especially in a bar setting, where most are so inebriated, that a trick with a simple plot is all they can follow anyway!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2002, 6:46 pm

Derek Dingle was an absolute master at the Card Under Glass, and his routine is in The Complete Works of Dingle.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2002, 4:21 am

I really liked Tom Mullica's "Cards under the ashtray" when he performed it on the Stevens Magic video tape. This version completely got me.

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2002, 5:16 am

As stated above Derren Brown has a fantastic card under box routine and you can see the performance on his video - The Devils Picture Book

The final section of the routine has the card put back in the deck, the deck is put back in the box, the box is put in your pocket and still the whole box jumps back to the table with the selected card found underneath.

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2002, 8:12 am

Dont forget Michael Close's routine w/ a saltshaker and the card on forhead.

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2002, 3:16 pm

Allan Hayden has a really nice multi-phase card under ashtray and Tim Conover does a terrific card under card box as well

Return to “Close-Up Magic”