half dollars no longer good?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Scott

Re: half dollars no longer good?

Postby Scott » September 2nd, 2002, 6:09 am

Originally posted by Brian Marks:
My friends say refer to them as my "magic" coins despite them being quite normal.
There's the real issue. Performing for your friends and family can be the toughest conditions you'll ever perform under. Expect to be interupted, expect to hand everything out before and after, expect everything. I have found, so far, that people I barely know (if I'm at a party, or in a bar) or people I don't know at all are much easier to perform for and much more polite. I never have to hand them the deck of cards for examination, like I would have to do with family and friends (not that it would matter).

It's common for magicians to show "tricks" to friends, rather than perform magic. "Doing a trick" will make them suspicious, performing magic will not.

Just my 50 cents worth.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2002, 8:31 am

I start my close-up/parlour act with a coin routine in which I use a Eisenhower dollar coin. I use it because it is quite large and very visible. In that I make the coin appear and disappear several times using only slight of hand, I think it is more impressive because of it's size. I always hand the coin to an audience member to hold for me at one point. I have never had anyone comment on the coin's rarity. It is just a coin, a nice, big, easy to see coin.
But then, I don't take a bite out of it, shove a cigarette through it, or any other effect that obviousely requires a gaff.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » September 2nd, 2002, 10:07 am

First dont mistake the politeness of strangers as them not thinking the coins are not fake.

Second using effects like coin thru cigarette (perspective) or the folding quarter have problems ith the too-perfect theory especially when done with rare coins. Coin in bottle is very magical when done with a quarter.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 17th, 2002, 11:42 pm

Originally posted by Brian Marks:
I do use liberty half dollars and I dont do sponge ball routines with sponge balls.
When occasion permits, I tend to do both. I have grown quite fond of my walking liberty half dollars. I performed the material I was working on while at college, and there were few questions about the coins. In general there were few if any issues about unusual props being somehow faked.

There was sometimes a moment towards the start of the set where someone looked at the coins 'as if' and that is a great time to ask them if they want to have a look at one coin in the course of a trick.

I suspect the issue here is that we have almost conciously noticed that the notions of 'coins' and 'money' are no longer related when it comes to silver dollars and half dollars. They simply are not currency anymore. Again, the term 'coin of the realm' no longer applies.

I for one feel little interest in doing magic with bills. Likewise the effects I've considered doing with credit cards are either limited or somehow threatening. This leaves us to consider our coins as Objects d'Art. So be it. Perhaps it is now time to take out that coinstand and show it off.

What are your thoughts?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 17th, 2002, 11:57 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
"I do your tricks you taught us with FISH."
Okay... why not. Put a small goldfish bowl down, and palm a few carrot bits shaped roughly like goldfish.

Spellbound becomes color changing carp?

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 9:50 am

I use old Irish Punts....Not many people have seen one and they always want to look at them,which always gives me a bit of time to get other things ready as there looking at the Deer on one side and the harp on the other..`Good misdirection....Steve G.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 20th, 2002, 4:25 pm

Originally posted by gregory:
...they always want to look at them...
When coins are presented as objects, they can be examined as such. The issues about suspected gaffs are dismissed at the outset. So we have vote number one for Objects d'Art.

Any votes against?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”