Poosh, The Four-Dimensional Pencil

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jon Elion

Poosh, The Four-Dimensional Pencil

Postby Jon Elion » May 19th, 2007, 8:41 am

I have finally taken the time to start browsing through old issues of Genii on the Genii Archive . I found an intriguing ad in the April, 1938 issue (Volume 2, page 291). There is a drawing of a small block that has two holes drilled all the way through it at right angles. The item is describe as:
POOSH
THE FOUR-DIMENSIONAL PENCIL
THE POCKET SENSATION OF 1938
When the pencil is pushed through the block, instead of coming out the opposite hole, it EMERGES FROM THE HOLE AT RIGHT ANGLES to the one in which it is pushed. Block with pencil still protruding from it is handed for examination once more. Complete with pencil, block and all necessary apparatus, including illustrated directions and patter.
The effect was offered by H. R. HULSE, 924 Courtney Drive, N. E. Atlanta, Georgia for $1.

Does anyone have any information about this effect? Google failed to turn up anything.

Mitch Dutton

Re: Poosh, The Four-Dimensional Pencil

Postby Mitch Dutton » May 19th, 2007, 5:22 pm

Homer R. Hulse was a founding member of The Atlanta Society of Magicians in 1925. This group later became S.A.M. Assembly 30 of Atlanta. I'm sure many members of the S.A.M. kn ew of Mr. Hulse. I believe he passed away not too long ago. Joe Turner may know something about his effect, and I suggest trying Dan Garrett: http://members.aol.com/dangarrett/ Dan may well have one of those tricks! Good luck! --Mitch

Peter Vanspauwen

Postby Peter Vanspauwen » May 20th, 2007, 12:42 am

Jon
Robert Harbin used to have a complete act called The Fourth Dimension. He too used a cube with holes. With it he did the pencil illusion you described but with a broom stick, he made knots appear on a rope, he changed water in ink, each time passing these things through one of the holes.
A description of the act and the construction of the cube can be found in Peter Warlock's "New Pentagram", volume 16, number 6 (august 1984) at page 43.
Regards
Peter

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » May 20th, 2007, 8:49 am

I'm in Guatemala and away from my library, but didn't Michael Weber have a trick with a die that had holes running through it in Richard's Almanac? Can't remember what the effect was.

Close

David Britland

Postby David Britland » May 20th, 2007, 2:47 pm

A search via the all knowing Ask Alexander at the Conjuring Arts Library turned up a set of instructions complete with illustrations.

I remember that Bill Thompson of the UK had devised a very similar trick (though much later) in which a pencil pushed through one side of a cube came out at 90 degrees. I don't know if he ever got around to marketing it.

It always put me in mind of Selbit's presentation of The Million Dollar Mystery illusion. As part of that 'fourth dimensional' illusion a long coffin shaped box was apparently pushed into the side door of a small cabinet and then pulled out of the front door of the cabinet. It's an intriguing premise.

David

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2007, 2:47 pm

The Harbin effect was published in GENII back in the 60's or 70's... It was re-published in the special 75th anniversary issue of GENII published about ten years ago.

Joe

Return to “Close-Up Magic”