Best Ace Assembly

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Best Ace Assembly

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2001, 5:40 pm

There are so many to choose from but my personal favorite is the McDonald Aces. Closely behind it is Larry Jenning's Open Travellers.

I also am a fan of Jazz Aces. Very powerful Ace Assembly for lay audiences.

How about you?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Best Ace Assembly

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2001, 6:02 pm

The best Ace Assembly I have ever seen in terms of totally FOOLING the hell out of me is Ed Marlo's version of "McDonald's Aces" that appeared in The New Tops. Instead of having normal double-faced cards, he used split-backed cards. So, the back of each Ace gimmick showed half of an indifferent card and half of a card back. Killer.
Also, Bro. Hamman's "Final Aces" routine is devastating.
Finally, the Earl Nelson assembly in the current issue of Genii looks superb in his hands and is unfathomable.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2001, 9:46 am

The Four Ace routine by Eric de Camps on Stars of Magic seems to really blow people away. It is a difficult trick that takes a while to learn but is a killer. I wish I could remember the name.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » July 24th, 2001, 12:54 pm

How about Bro. John's classic Final Aces?

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 8:41 pm

Absolutely agree with above..."Final Aces" is wonderful and amazing!
I also agree with "Jazz Aces"; I actually use Darwin Ortiz's version "Modern Jazz Aces" from "At the Card Table". So much going on with minimal moves.
Sterling

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » July 25th, 2001, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the praise Jason!

The name of the routine your are refering to is Royal Travelers.

It's my interpretation of Jenning's Open Travlers but with the extemely clean suprise kicker of a Royal Flush in Spades ending.

The influence of the kicker ending was from a routine in Chris Kenner's book, "The Right Stuff" written by John Mendoza.

Best,

Eric DeCamps

David Penn

Postby David Penn » July 29th, 2001, 11:39 am

Tough to beat Scotty York's Ghost Aces!!

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2001, 2:58 pm

I don't do many ace assemblies, but if you like assemblies in general, check out John Bannon's "Twilight Zone Assembly" in Impossibilia, it's EXCELLENT!

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » August 3rd, 2001, 3:43 am

Freunde der Asse,

Don't underestimate Alex Elmley's “1002nd Aces” [Ibidem #12, Dec.1957, p.13 ; or: Stephen Minch: The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley, Vol.1, 1991, pp.213-216], a streamlined(!) procedure of the classic ace assembly.
P.S.
If you would like to inform you about the Ace Assembly subject I recommend my 1985 Escorial manuscript (basic effect and variations, as Collin's , Slow Motion, Real Gone, Succession, Reverse Assembly, Disassembly, Ultimate Aces and Ultimate Succession Aces).

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2001, 7:49 am

Anyone (like me) a fan of the Stencel Aces [Richard's Almanac]?

Cugel

Postby Cugel » August 24th, 2001, 11:57 pm

I think Darwin Ortiz' "Hitchcock Aces" is one of the best ungaffed ace assemblies. In fact, I used it a number of times at a trade show I worked last weekend and it got excellent reactions from the attendees. (Lending the lie to the popular myth among magicians that assembly effects are uncommercial. Says who?! :confused: )

Of course, I totally prostituted the art by adding the tag line after the kings and aces are revealed, "You'll always have the winning hand with XYZ gaming." :D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2001, 11:59 pm

Doug, I wish that someday you'll have the thrill of SEEING Bob Stencel perform his Ace routine. He is such a damn clever guy. Maybe he'll give me some great tricks if I put him on the cover of Genii.
Anyone know how to get in touch with Stencel?

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 25th, 2001, 11:20 am

Racherbaumer's Olram Aces, his rendition of MacDonald's Aces, totally blew me away the first time I saw it. It turned out to be a huge influence on my development as it got me into learning sleight of hand and thinking hard about good presentation.

Monte

Postby Monte » August 27th, 2001, 11:36 am

I think the Harry Lorayne ultimate ace assembly: also in in marlo's book "Off the Top" The only moves used is the add-on move and the buckle count. Ungaffed also.

Martin Nash's version Macdonald's aces is so cool and convincing.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2001, 7:30 pm

Ive always used Colombini`s Assembly Of The Aces, where the aces have different coloured backs.
Thats a killer effect!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 28th, 2001, 2:43 am

I too have always heard it said that assemblies appeal to magicians only and not lay audiences. But I never understood why. I do two assemblies (one gaffed and one ungaffed) and they consistently get a great reaction.

However having seen several other magicians get less than strong reactions with ace assemblies performed better than I do mine, I think I know the difference.

I present my assembly in the context of a poker game. Everyone starts with an ace, and then I magically get al four aces in my hand.

I claim no originality for this presentational idea, which has been used by Scotty York, so I've been told, and Marlo too (I've heard whispered). Too tell you the truth I'm not sure how much credit anyone gets for an idea this obvious. I mean the four aces are all gathering in a group of cards -- what else would you present it as?

Nonetheless many magicians just show the four aces moving around for no reason. I don't want to get on a soapbox here, but if you aren't getting the reaction from your ace assembly that you think it deserves, try a poker presentation. (Note: I found this much easier if your method allows you to show each ace arriving at the leader packet one at a time. Vernon's Slow-Motion Aces is a great place to start).

I sometimes think that the Ace Assembly is like the Miser's dream (or $100 bill switch) of card magic: If you really had magical powers over the pasteboards, what else would you do?

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2001, 7:57 am

Great answer Pete. One of my presentations is in the context of ending up with 4 of a kind even if everyone else was dealt an ace.

I usually get a great reaction with the presentation.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » August 28th, 2001, 3:18 pm

I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Bob Stencil lecture and perform at Magic Inc a NUMBER of years ago. His ace assembly is by far the best. His ambitious card is also unbelievable. He may well be the cleanest card handler I have ever seen.

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2001, 10:46 pm

I present my assembly in the context of a poker game. Everyone starts with an ace, and then I magically get al four aces in my hand.

I claim no originality for this presentational idea, which has been used by Scotty York, so I've been told, and Marlo too
Martin Lewis put out "Ghost Deal" at least 20 years ago, a wonderful $100 ace assembly with a great poker premise.

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2001, 6:36 pm

I have to agree with Richard. Ed Marlo's version of "McDonald's Aces" from the New Tops is a real fooler. It plays well to laymen and even better for magicians who are "in the know" about double-face cards. I made up a set of the Marlo gaffs and used them for 15 years. Then I replaced them with the gaffs from Bob Kohler's Ace's In Their Faces. These are the same gaffs only specially printed to avoid double thickness.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 30th, 2001, 8:23 pm

So far I haven't found anything that can replace Daryl's "Jolly Jumping Jokers". The clarity of effect is all I can ask for.

It's perfect for both close-up and small platform, and I don't need a table as I let four spectators hold a packet each between their palms. At banquets, I can do it on the floor in the center of four tables, with a spectator from each table standing up in their place.
It's a wonderful piece.

-Tom Stone

cardstuntman

Postby cardstuntman » August 31st, 2001, 1:22 pm

still the best... dai vernon the slow- motion aces. grow/learn to love the vernon transfer.
dingles take on the mcdonalds aces is also a great version.
s.p.

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2001, 8:05 pm

I hate to be a nerd and say it, but the nastiest ace assembly I have ever seen, live or on t.v. (and I've seen many), is the Classical Aces Copperfield did on one of his specials. Sure, it had the cheesy Grandfather patter, plus the added benefit of a perfect angle from the camera guy, but it still stands out as the most "magical" ace assembly I have ever seen.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 31st, 2001, 9:35 pm

Spoot, "Grandpa's Aces," which is the name of the Ace Assembly Copperfield performs, is a version of Marlo's "Real Gone Aces." The handling David uses was developed by Chris Kenner and it fools EVERYONE. There's more going on there than anyone realizes, which is why no one else has duplicated the effect.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 1st, 2001, 4:06 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
"Grandpa's Aces," which is the name of the Ace Assembly Copperfield performs, is a version of Marlo's "Real Gone Aces."

Hi Richard,
I've not seen the Kenner version, but since there's been a lot of talk about it, I tried to a version of my own a while back.
Sadly enough, the result was pretty awful and there is little in it that I can brag about.
Except for one tiny detail; I found an easy way to false count one card as three.

Interested? :)

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2001, 1:09 pm

Martin Lewis put out "Ghost Deal" at least 20 years ago, a wonderful $100 ace assembly with a great poker premise.

Martin teaches this on his new video on cards, and also sells the routine. He now calls it "Magician's Poker". I've been using it since he taught it to me, and it's a fantastic routine.
Rick

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2001, 9:56 pm

I personally use diamond bar, very clear simple and lack of complicated procedure.

Noah levine

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » September 4th, 2001, 12:06 am

Slightly off topic, but could somebody direct me to where J. K. Hartman's "Secret Subtraction" appears in print? Even though I know the move, the thinking behind it would really be beneficial, as I would typically go with the Braue Addition.

Thanks,
McF

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » September 4th, 2001, 12:58 pm

Reinhard Muller wrote: "If you would like to inform you about the Ace Assembly subject I recommend my 1985 Escorial manuscript"

Reinhard,

Please could you let me know where I can purchase your Escorial Manuscripts from.

Thanks,

Jamie.

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2001, 10:49 pm

Bill, J.K. Hartman's "Secret Subtraction" manuscript was transcribed Oct 1970 and published or copyright in 1980 by Tannen Magic. It had 5 chapters and 22 pages in pamphlet forum. It was designed to duplicate the various add on moves ie Braue, but to achieve maximum separation between packet and deck. If you have trouble finding the manuscript e mail me and I will send you a copy of mine.. Barry

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2001, 10:53 am

LSD Aces...

LSD Aces by Wesley James found in Epilogue or WJ`s lecture notes Stop Fooling Us. It was a forerunner to Darwin Ortiz` Hitchcock Aces. I never liked the moment during Hitchcock Aces when the aces were switched out. There seems to be too much heat then. LSD has a better solution. I`ve been doing this routine for a 3-4 years now. See WJ`s notes for a great way to get into the routine.

Best regards,
Rich Kameda

BTW, the effect uses Hartman`s Secret Subtraction.

Andy

Postby Andy » September 14th, 2001, 11:44 am

I love the four ace assembly of Bill Okal's which is published in his manuscript Classics of Magic". It is a sleight of hand version with strong psychological presentation (misdirection). Regards, Andy Pojman

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2001, 3:20 am

Pete MacCabe tell us he has a presentation good and entertainig for ace assembly, thats fine but I suposse Andini reply was directed to the effect by itself. I think like him. In usual ace assemblies (no gaffed) the impact I think is not strong enough.
The effect in sum is : Three aces TRAVEL from his packets to gather the ace leader (really the aces transpose with the cards acompaining the leader ace, but that way the effect is much more confusing).
Well if you think about he STRENGTH OF THE TRAVEL: you have card to wallet, envelope, box, cardcase, mouth, pocket that are stronger. What makes the travel effect stronger ?:

1/ A proof the card that travel is the same (torn corner, sign...); in ace assembly this is not true.
2/ The travel is to a difficult acces place. In ace assembly leader packet is at the open air.

=============================================
The only version with normal cards I think aproximates to this premises is : "Aces in excelsis" by Vernon. The effect of the ace assembly is in direct proportion to the believe that the four aces are in the four packets ( In second travel you see the ace in his packet, and the last ace in Vernons version dissapears visually). In the rest of versions you do the trick with ordinary cards this is not true. But in Vernon version also the desaparition of aces is not the effect you cannot focuse on. (its not the strong point of the routine). You have to concentrate on the aparition of the aces in the leader packet. But the packets are very near on the table. And you have to touch leader packet continually (the main drawback of slow motion assemblies).
But the weak point, very weak, is the method (dont misinterpret me the Vernon Version is one of the best). The method is what laymen think you have to do, you take away the aces and put them in the leader packet: ( the second by a cop, the last by a palm and transfer movement). You finish the trick and audience will tell you ,you moved the aces by stealing them for their original packets and delivering them into the leader packet. And because is true you cannot focuss in a strong selling presentation for making it a reputation maker. And I think no magician is able make a version with normal cards a closer.
The other version with normal cards I enjoy is Charles Bertram version in. " Expert Card technique" because people is involved and efect is focussed in travel, and knowing is not a closer trick Bertram added a encore very strong.
But for table hoping for laymen I use "Billogical shuffle " from "Close up Kind a guy" Paul Harris. Because is a quickie in which 4 kings appears and after being lost in packets and isolated by a spectator and magician flocks together. The method combines:
1/ The initial part is not time consuming, also allows the effect of the aparition of kings.
2/The aparition of kings prepares the travel (method).
3/People is sure kings are in their original packets, beacuse very little time happens between the showing of the kings and the travel .
4/Audience involvement, a very great drawbak in almost all ace asemblies.
5/Knowing is not to strong I present it like a quickie, and for that has the impact I know it deserves.
=============================================
For the reasons I told before gaffed cards versions are very strong in effect because the dissaparitions are very clear,and doesnt rely in showing, the leader packet continually and the effect and methos follows diferent paths.
Look at Copperfield routine. The important part is the desaparition of aces, when they appear is only for completeness.
This follows the path pointed by Hozinsers (the best gaffed version becuse in the last actions and wordings conveys the impresion was a slow assembly whose final is dictated by audience decisitions, and has audience involvement througth the routine).
Of the modern ace asemblies with gaffed cards Gabis version is very good: is in "Best from Spain" video).

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » September 20th, 2001, 8:19 am

The best ace assembly I have witnessed was Grandpa aces performed by DC. Is the current issue of Genii, DC menstioned that there was a rumor that DC performed the assembly on tape; not live. Does anyone still believe that rumor?

Tomas Blomberg

Postby Tomas Blomberg » September 21st, 2001, 2:20 am

Originally posted by walkinoats:
The best ace assembly I have witnessed was Grandpa aces performed by DC. Is the current issue of Genii, DC menstioned that there was a rumor that DC performed the assembly on tape; not live. Does anyone still believe that rumor?

I believe it could be true. And I must say that it'd be a very cool way to do it.

/Tomas

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2001, 2:25 am

I'm not sure about now, but when my wife and I saw David about 4 years ago, he was doing the Grandpa's Aces live.
Rick

Tomas Blomberg

Postby Tomas Blomberg » September 21st, 2001, 3:37 am

Originally posted by Rick Green:
I'm not sure about now, but when my wife and I saw David about 4 years ago, he was doing the Grandpa's Aces live.
Rick

Are you sure that what you saw on the big screen in the theatre is what he actually did live? If you did not have a clear view of the table surface he could have been playing solitaire while you watched a recording on the big screen. That's what I meant by that it'd be a cool way to do it.

/Tomas

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » September 21st, 2001, 8:38 am

When I saw DC perform Grandpa Aces on his TV special, It seemed to good to be true. I was thinking that it was impossible to perform that live. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2001, 9:19 am

When I saw DC perform Grandpa Aces on his TV special, It seemed to good to be true. I was thinking that it was impossible to perform that live. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I was sitting on the front row watching the show. It wouldn't have been impossible to perform live at all. With the angle that the camera had, certain parts of the trick would actually have been easier to perform. I have a marketed version of that trick that I found several years ago, and I did a little modification to make it work the way he performed it. I haven't done that trick in years.
Rick

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » September 21st, 2001, 11:34 am

Rick,
is the marketed version your refering to called Marlo's "real gone" aces ?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”