Charlie Miller video

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Pete Biro

Charlie Miller video

Postby Pete Biro » March 8th, 2004, 10:45 am

Scroll down to Charlie here http://www.mrhypnotist.org/magicone.html
Stay tooned.

Ian Kendall

Re: Charlie Miller video

Postby Ian Kendall » March 8th, 2004, 1:14 pm

Woo Yay!

That was an amazing four minutes!

Take care, Ian

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » March 8th, 2004, 7:01 pm

Yes indeed, that was very nice.

Do we have any idea what year this might have been?

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » March 9th, 2004, 12:15 pm

This was possibly one of the greatest things I've ever downloaded. I get such a thrill seeing the much hyped, yet rarely seen performers of the past.

Anyone have other clips of this nature they'd be willing to share?

thecardman

Postby thecardman » March 9th, 2004, 3:32 pm

WOW! That's all I need to say!

Oh, and thanks!

Peter
:D

Postby Guest » March 16th, 2004, 11:09 am

Wow! seems to be the universal response, and from me, as well.

Charlie looks pretty young there. Pete, do you know the provenance of the video? And under what circumstances it was filmed? And why this guy seems to have custody of it?

Postby Guest » March 16th, 2004, 1:09 pm

Pete Biro you are the man! Many thanks for sharing.

The sad thing is that across the globe such gems like this lie hidden away, often behind a copyright curtain with companies who will never have them out of thair vaults. Art doesn't like dark cupboards, it needs to be appreciated. :)

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » March 17th, 2004, 9:18 am

Originally posted by David Groves:
And why this guy seems to have custody of it?
I don't know he got the video, but I can shed a little light on him. He is the son of Billy Bishop, who ran a magic store for quite a while in the suburbs of Chicago. After Billy had a stroke Glenn ran the shop for a little while. Billy died sometime ago, and I always was kinda curious what happened to Glenn.

Billy incidentally, had one of the most pleasant voices in magic. Sort of warm and grandfatherly.

Before I forget, the video is really really amazing, thank you for pointing it out Pete!
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

pduffie

Postby pduffie » March 17th, 2004, 11:11 am

I know a few people who have this film on video - they obtained a copy (for a fee) from the Magic Castle Archives a few years ago. However, this service has since ceased.

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2004, 6:59 pm

I wouldn't swear to it, but I have a photo of the Professor, which he kindly inscribed to me, that I believe was taken in the kitchen at Faucett Ross' place. The photo was taken during a session that, as I recall the story, was with Charlie, Dai, Faucett and Ross Bertram. There was footage of Charlie and The Professor, shot by Bertram, who was an avid documentarian (witness the Bertram videos transferred to video and released by L&L, courtesy of Dr. Gene Matsuura, who owns the originals and released the material through L&L to perpetuate Bertrams' contributions to the art, and then directed proceeds to Ross' widow Helen - Gene is a great guy!). This may be from that session...

Best, PSC

P.S. Maybe someone should call Glenn and ask him!

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » March 18th, 2004, 5:47 am

I've seen a short part of this clip somewhere else... maybe that Canadian documentary "Dai Vernon, The Spirit of Magic"? I remember seeing the close up shot of him doing the pass.

It was nice to see the rest of it. Thanks for the link.

Bob

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2004, 12:07 am

That was cool getting to see him do the strip out shuffle.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 3rd, 2004, 8:51 am

Originally posted by David Groves:
And why this guy seems to have custody of it?

I don't know he got the video, but I can shed a little light on him. He is the son of Billy Bishop, who ran a magic store for quite a while in the suburbs of Chicago. After Billy had a stroke Glenn ran the shop for a little while. Billy died sometime ago, and I always was kinda curious what happened to Glenn.

Billy incidentally, had one of the most pleasant voices in magic. Sort of warm and grandfatherly.

Before I forget, the video is really really amazing, thank you for pointing it out Pete!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer the question of who is Billy Bishop?

Billy Bishop, Born December 26, 1921... And he had a lifetime in magic filled with adventure, and all of show businesses ups and downs. Billys father Carl Bishop who was a registered spit ball pitcher and base ball player was known by his baseball nick name Bitty.

After baseball he owned a car dealership and lost it to the great depression. He went on the road using his baseball contacts and being a salesman sold a health tonic. That moved the family and young Billy around the states.

Deciding to settle in the state of Oregon he left his growing family east and in a new car went west stopping off in Chicago. While in Chicago his new car was stolen with all his money and clothes - including his start up money for a new business.

This did not stop Bitty Bishop. One of the things for fun that Bitty used to do was put on a cork black face and sing songs like Eddie Canter. In local Vaudeville theaters on contest nights.

Luck was with him he looked in the paper and found several vaudeville in Chicago houses offering a cash prize for first place for the contest that night.

He went from vaudeville house to vaudeville house and when the evening was done had more than enough money for a meal, hotel and a bus trip to Oregon.

There must be a show business gene in the Bishop family because Billy got into magic early. His parents encouraged this because magic put the person in front of people talking. And moving around the country at a young age Billy developed a stutter

Magic helped this and the stutter turned into a nervous laugh that later became Billys trademark.

Billy started off carrying the props of an older magician in the hood named Chandler Stevens. Later came a club called the Royal Order Of Scarlet Wands. He met Jimmy Stoppard and Rolland Hamblen two people that inspired and helped him. At a young age Billy Bishop was a student of Erdnase, could second and bottom deal using the Erdnase method and grip.

Jimmy Stoppard was the first winner of the Houdini award with his Phantom ray. And Billy Bishop was the last winner of the award with his rope tie.

He arranged to promote the Wizard of Oz toy promotion with a magic show in one of the Portland Department stores. And did many shows for the local clubs and organizations and developing the rope tie and his laugh that would become his trademark.

Billy went off to play the big one - WW2 . Flying dangerous missions in a P38 Lightning with only cameras he photographed before and after battles well into enemy lines as a photo Joe Becoming a Major and commanding officer of his squadron at the young age of 24...

Retuning to the states he settled in Oregon and went back into show business.

From their went to the Reno PCAM convention and won the Sweepstakes Trophy for showmanship and general excellence. He was also the President of the Portland SAM and booked Dai Vernon to lecture there.

Then after finding his life long partner "Ann Dawson who became Ann Bishop" Billy decided to take a chance at the show business big time - New York

And what a Big Time it was. Landing with the best agent in New York Mark Leddy From there it was the Ed Sullivan show, Billy Roses Diamond Horseshoe and tours up and down the east cost including the Catskills to the tip of Florida.

Billy Bishop entertained in show business with some of the top names. He knew Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra, The Will Maston Trio, Sammy Davis Sr., Jack Benny, Billy Gillbert, Jay Marshall, Carl Ballentine.

And More If you were working in those days Billy said, your bound to run into people sooner or later.

After several years of success in New York Billy came back to Oregon to work and perform in night clubs on the west cost.

Reuniting with old friends like Lee Grable, Virgil and Julie, Desmond, Stan Kramien, Stan Greer, Jimmy Stoppard and Rolland Hamblen. And made the cover of Genii Magazine September 1950.

I used to ask him about magicians he met while we played chess. I remember asking him the first time he met Charlie Miller or Frank Garcia. He would say Charlie Miller I met in a night club when he was younger. At that time he was going out visiting magicians and watching all the magic acts he could looking for ideas to put in his show.

And Frank Garcia was a young magician behind the magic counter at Tannans magic shop where a young Billy Bishop purchased a dove pan for a stunt that they did on the Ed Sullivan Show.

He moved to Wisconsin pioneered a childrens televisions show and got so much work from Chicago he decided to move there.

Chicago was very good from performing on Television and doing club dates and night clubs - according to Jay Marshall, Billy Bishop was one of the most working acts in the city. I think he worked so much he wore out 3 lids to the canvas covered box - he had to - he had 6 kids to feed.

After raising 6 kids Billy Bishop later owned two magic shops that were a hobby retirement activity. And pioneered the video magic age with two video magic sets one was produces by SS Adams and was marketed all over the world.

He had a major stroke in 1993 that pushed him into semi retirement and about 6 years later he passed on while in his sleep on the mourning of his birthday December 26, 1999.

He was a great family man - I know this because I am his son. He was a great showman of the old school and I have seen him do shows under the worst show business conditions including outside in the wind, rain, sun, and snow. He treated everyone with respect in kindness no mater where they were in magic or place in life. And from his list of friends that reads like a whos who in magic and all of show business - all of them talk about what a fine fellow he was.

As Don Alan once said to me Your Mom and Dad were one Heck of a great act

Billy Bishop An' Ann - Standing Ovation!

Written by, Glenn Bishop. A second generation magician/hypnotist that makes his living performing hypnoticMagic shows www.mrhypnotist.org

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » September 3rd, 2004, 10:29 pm

If you ever get the chance, get Harry Riser to deal seconds the way Charlie Miller taught him! You'd swear they were tops.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 4th, 2004, 8:25 am

Glenn.... how are you doing? Is your house Hurricane Proof??? Let us know. :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2004, 9:20 am

A hurricane is like a marriage. It starts with all that blowing and ends up with you losing your house. :)

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 4th, 2004, 2:09 pm

One of my favoret second deals is in the movie the sting. I am told that the guy that did the sting second for the movie was John Scarne. Watch the thumb of the left hand... It is a very good second...

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » September 7th, 2004, 6:23 am

Hey Pete,

Everythings okay. Roof's still here! I weathered it out but sent my family away before it hit. (They flew back yesterday)My grounds look like mother nature threw up on it (limbs, debris etc) and my swimming pool looks like its a part of the everglades, but a small price to pay for what could have been.

Now we're getting ready for Ivan to hit. Due to how my dog acted in the house during the last hurricane, for Ivan, she will be left outside tied to a kite.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 7th, 2004, 8:14 am

Thanks for the update, glad all is OK... dog on a kite... hmmm... I'll keep an eye out for him/her?
Stay tooned.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » September 7th, 2004, 7:47 pm

Hey Glenn -

Glad you didn't get blown away or flooded out. Since you are online, I assume your electricity is also OK. Send you a couple of emails tonight with hotel notes, etc.

Bill
Bill Wells

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2004, 10:15 pm

Cha Miller Video; how obtain?
Marty K

Return to “Close-Up Magic”