Spectator Teaches the Balducci

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Eric Rose

Spectator Teaches the Balducci

Postby Eric Rose » January 31st, 2006, 2:16 pm

I was playing in a euchre tournament last week when the topic of magic and David Blaine comes up. A fellow asks me if I know how Blaine levitated - I beg off saying that I've never really watched him but I know a lot of people liked it. Suddenly another guy at the table jumps up and says "I think I figured that one out." He then turns slightly away from us and does a perfect Balducci Levitation. He then turns back and shows everyone how he did it.

Everyone turns to me. All I could say was "Well, that was pretty neat. I bet Blaine wishes he'd done it that way." Then I dealt the next hand.

Pete Biro

Re: Spectator Teaches the Balducci

Postby Pete Biro » January 31st, 2006, 3:06 pm

To be honest with you, I have never thought much of the Balducci... first complaint is you have to turn your back on the folks, and mostly you need to do it in a corner.
Stay tooned.

rage

Postby rage » January 31st, 2006, 4:18 pm

ive seen this thing explained in your everyday run of the mill magazine that anyone can buy. im not surprised he knew how it was done.
with an N

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2006, 1:23 am

I first saw the Balducci about a dozen years ago when a non-conjuror colleague showed it to me as a party trick that his son had shown him. And for many years, I treated it in the same vein.

Last weekend, my nephew had a party to celebrate his wedding, and I was doing a bit of magishing there. A wildly enthusiastic and receptive audience, so when someone asked Can you levitate?, I did a Balducci. We were in a long hallway, so the angles were ideal. I presented it as David Roth recommends (including that bit at the end with the hands "Was it about this much?") They freaked out, they went ballistic, I thought they'd blow the roof off.

It certainly opened my eyes to the power of it.

Dave

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » February 1st, 2006, 2:19 am

A friend performs the Balducci levitation from time to time. At one occasion he did it for to young women that reacted rather impressed and after some other tricks moved on.
Later on the party I saw those two ladies in the corner, one doing the levitation and the other one walking around her and checking the angles.
I laughed...

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2006, 1:44 pm

This is one of the sad things about this one, that it has become a party trick in so many laymans eyes. So many of them have seen it and now know how it is done, and seeing as how it is something they can do, and they see it as so stupidly simple, they dismiss it as such.

The illusion here becomes destroyed even more then most here with the "I now know how it's done, and so I've solved it" mentality because it is something that they not only know, but as i said, can duplicate themselves, so it becomes even less of something special, and just a gag.

What really bothers me is how eager they are just to show it off and then expose it IMEDIATELY after they do it too. They seem to just be so involved in the idea that they are just showing how clever they are by showing how stupid they think the 'trick' is.

Very sad, especially as how they would have a singal piece of the phenomonal on their hands if they bothered to think for a second rather then just grabbing it like a pair of sicorrs and then thinking the best thing to do is just start running.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”