signed coin in can

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Countelmsley

signed coin in can

Postby Countelmsley » November 23rd, 2005, 8:29 pm

Thinking about buying Criss Angel's Houchin's "Coin in Can". Any comments? Is it very do-able in the real world? Or just one of those cool things I'll do a few times to friends in my basement sitting down on the couch? I didnt see the Criss Angel show when he did it, by the way. So,I have no idea what "it" looks like.

Thanks!
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm
www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: signed coin in can

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 23rd, 2005, 9:18 pm

I just received the DVD in the mail yesterday and watched most of it last night.
The effect is clearly taught by the originator, Wayne Houchin, and also performed by Criss.
The instructions are VERY clear, and it doesn't seem difficult to do (though I haven't tried it with quarter and can in hand).
Good trick, good DVD.
Like many tricks, there are some restrictions on angles, but frankly this seems like the kind of thing you're going to do in impromptu situations for three or four people at most. You really need to have the spectator provide the can of soda (makes it a much better trick), and that can only happen in so many situations.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 24th, 2005, 6:35 am

And there is no gimmick involved, I believe? The dvd is only a dvd with the instructions?

Seb T.

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2005, 7:06 am

I'm taking the liberty of pasting in here, what I earlier did post at another board and I have some more comments too..

Once again, this routine is about the greatest single piece of impromptu close-up magic that came along within the last 50 years..and I mean it..

Not only that, but even a child could do it..with proper handling and practise, anybody has a true reputation maker at his hands!
This routine should never have gotten released, not even to me, it's a masterpiece of deception, anybody can ruin it too..

The first step re 'vanishing' the coin is an OUTSTANDING piece of simplicity and comes as close to real magic anything ever can..

I don't know how it is in the States, but a short visit to several local malls did reveal that there is a s*it lot of difference between 'cans', especially re the design of the top of it..some have very smal 'access' some have a real big once..

Strange enough, I even suspect the Cokecans sold in the States are different re this, compared the ones we have here in Europe..yes, sounds strange, but they might use local producers of cans here?
The Cokes I've seen, have very smal 'entrances', the Carlsberg beer one I found, has a very large one..

So ppl in Europe will have a hard time to study the diff. designs of cans and in my case especially beer cans... ..and I have to be sober preferably...
Well, let's put it this way..it is a 'pleasure'

Once again, what a shame this routine is so freely available, it simply is too outstanding and easy to do to be that easily available..

OTOH, it doesn't matter here in Europe, as the *Mindfreak* series haven't been broadcasted here yet, so -apart from the fellow magicians and who cares- have seen this routine, one still can get out and have fun with what it's aimed at..'normal' ppl, wanting to have a good time and no doubt getting almost crazy when getting the VISUAL impact of this routine..

It's simply pure MAGIC!!

(Compare this routine with ABYSS and you might better understand 'why' I always thought it wasn't worth to do!)

PS. My point is, STUDY the type of cans they have at the place you are, before attempting to perform the effect!!!

Salute to Wayne Houchin for 'inventing' a perfect magic *trick*, that plays bigger then 'walking through a brick wall'...

The above where my original comments..

In the meantime, I have had a look around at diff. cans available and I was astounished how much difference there is at the top, where the 'tap' to pop it up later, is..

My advice is, to be very carefull and check out BEFORE performing the effect, which cans are available at the place you are performing.

To me, this is a GREAT routine, that is best been performed in a pub, bar or outside at a BBQ, or on/at the street.
Perform it when you didn't intend to perfom anything....
One day you're out enjoying yourself, f.ex. in summertime at an outside BBQ or in a pub.

As this routine is 100% impromptu, one has to stress the fact, that EVERYTHING should get borrowed, the coin, the speedmarker, the can..

That great routine is so impromptu, it IMHO also should get performed impromptu, as mentioned, when one not even oneselfes did expect to perform..
The big advantage in this case also is, that -if you are a pro perfromer- this easily would get you some bookings when done f.ex. in a pub or a BBQ with ppl around you aren't aquantant with.

I actually worked on an alternative handling to avoid the 2 handed shake of the can close to the ear, it works, but I'm not yet sure, if it is as good as the original handling, I simply did that 'other' handling one day when playing with a can and a coin and just did it automatically, then I analized it and did it on purpose, it works well, but I not yet have decided if I should replace the original handling with the one I fooled around with..

I'm solely speculating about this, because I -right from the beginning- was not too much in favour of the *2 handed* shake of the can...

Well, my problem..but all the above just to let you know, that IMHO, this routine of Wayne Houchin's is the GREATEST single impromptu close up effect, in respect to making a VERY BIG impact on your audience, I've seen during the last 30 years or so!!..it's hard to top and plays bigger then walking through a brickwall..

Sorry for the long posting ;) ..one more comment..

IMHO, after the coin has arrived inside the can and is shown clearly to be the signed one, don't remove/shake it out yourself, but hand the can to the spec thet loaned you the coin...he might have a hard time to get the coin out, also depending on how the pushed down tap is positioned, you can influence this during your handling..the coin doesn't just fall out of the can..and the fact that quite some shaking is needed, maybe even a tool, adds to the effect... they'll remember forever the *guy* that performed that *coin in can* thingy for them..

Believe me....this routine is outstanding!!!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 24th, 2005, 7:34 am

There is no gimmick: the coin and can are both borrowed. It's just very clever handling.

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 24th, 2005, 7:59 pm

Well...'nuff said... I' m convinced!
Thanx Werner!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 24th, 2005, 11:02 pm

It is a reputation maker... don't overdo it... KILL and smile.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2005, 12:49 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
It is a reputation maker... don't overdo it... KILL and smile.
Pete, I would almost go one step further..

At the mentioned venue (bar,pub,BBQ) ONLY do this single 'trick', nothing else..because it can't -at least- get followed by anything else..it is that strong..
Nobody would be interested in cardfumblings or any other coinroutine..

Unless one absolutely LOOOOVES to perform and can't surpress the desire :p , THIS is the trick to have a good time oneselfes and to relax..just do that routine and enjoy the beer, BBQ whatever the rest of the day/evening... ;)

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2005, 2:22 am

One more..
I've found out EXACTLY what type of can is best suitable..it soley takes a single glance, but I can't describe it here how the 'top' should look :(
Wayne Houchins already pointed it out, it's that completely closed OVAL shape of the surroundings on the tap, (oval shape of a certain size like a 'raindrop' BIG on one end, smal on the other) not the shape where these 'sourroundings' are brooken.

Also, when looking a bit closer, the best type of can has a *double* rim/edge, where the opening later is 'broken'/opend..not just a single weak point, but a double weak point, where the opening still solely occurs at the outhermost weakend point..
I never found any can, where the opposite side, the bottom gave any problems..

If not for another reason, even a halfdollar, actually even a Silverdollar could be used..
I've tried it out!!!

And, all this with a parallel to the floor handling position..
Can't say more, those knowing the handling will understand..
Once again:
an outstanding piece of impromptu (and not even solely impromptu) magic

The funny thing is, the 'easiest' part (step 5) as mentioned it to be by Wayne Houchins and Criss, is the toughest part to do -at least for me- has something to do with how easy it is to open the can, as there mostly is too less space to get ones forefinger under the tap to open the can smoothly, this and some EARLIER occuring sound to kill is the real problem.
The first 4 steps to me where childsplay, right from the start of the routine, zero problem..simply a natural to handle..

PS. I'm surrounded here by stacks of different UNOPEND beercan's :D , actually some opend ones I picked up at diff. places, so I haven't started yet to pop up dozens of cans to practise properly, but that day will come, will be a tough day to stay sober... :p

Everything flows up to step 5, which is the opening of the can..and the best part, drinking the beer that's poured into a glass, whilst 'they' are trying to get that signed coin out of the can... :p

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 25th, 2005, 5:11 am

Originally posted by Werner G. Seitz:
... I'm surrounded here by stacks of different UNOPEND beercan's :D , actually some opend ones I picked up at diff. places, so I haven't started yet to pop up dozens of cans to practise properly, but that day will come, will be a tough day to stay sober...
Somebody is having Oktoberfest in December :D
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2005, 6:12 am

...Wayne Houchins already pointed it out, it's that completely closed OVAL shape of the surroundings on the tap, (oval shape of a certain size like a 'raindrop' BIG on one end, smal on the other) not the shape where these 'sourroundings' are brooken.

Also, when looking a bit closer, the best type of can has a *double* rim/edge, where the opening later is 'broken'/opend..not just a single weak point, but a double weak point, where the opening still solely occurs at the outhermost weakend point..
Here is a picture that shows what I tried to explain above...the *raindrop* like closed shape, and when looking very close at the picture, you might be able to detect the 'double' weakend shape/rim where the can opens.
It always opens at the outhermost weakend point, so giving nice access to pour the beer out ;)

You can boost that pic up quite a bit in *Paint Shop Pro*, f.ex. to study it, as it's captured with 8.1 Megapixels, and has a size of 3.45MB, so it can be boosted up heavily.

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2F0H ... 1XXDA27NL7

Have a nice weekend....
PS. Forgot to mention, the file is solely hosted at that site for 7 days, then it's gone...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 26th, 2005, 10:36 am

And ... IMPORTANT ... don't forget my finishing touch...

You seem to be unable to shake the coin OUT... the hole is too small (not really you sell that) so you bring out a small pliers, or your Swiss army knife, something you use to PRY the hole open BIGGER to get the coin out.

Dean Dill KILLS with this.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2005, 11:56 am

And ... IMPORTANT ... don't forget my finishing touch...

You seem to be unable to shake the coin OUT... the hole is too small (not really you sell that) so you bring out a small pliers, or your Swiss army knife, something you use to PRY the hole open BIGGER to get the coin out.

Dean Dill KILLS with this.
Pete, you'll hate me for this :o , but being normally a honest guy, I have to tell you, I have revised my opinion on this.

I actually prefer to let them have the can to remove the coin themselfes-if they can.

As I earlier somewhere mentioned, it not necessarily *just* is doable, depends on how far the hinged piece is pushed downwards.

This can be influenced during opening the can.
(Doesn't prevent the tricktechnic, as that 'piece' acts slightly as a 'spring')

I wouldn't though suggest to hand them the can after it is opend to pour out the contents BEEEER :p themselfes, because this would be like letting them select a card, whilst you have the deck in your hand (force), and then handling them the deck for insertion of their card and ask them to shuffle the deck then..
I'm sure you get the idea re what I mean.

It would not be logical..better is to open the can, pour the contents in a glas, shake the can so they hear the coin inside and also let them se their signature on the coin through the opening, and THEN hand them the can immediately.

Another reason not to use your suggestion is, that one in an impromptu situation not always has the tools mentioned at hand.

I don't say the idea you brought up and Dean Dill does use with success, isn't a good and usefull one, I just want to *walk* another route after the coin is inside the can and let them have the can immediately..

Somehow also, using a tool and pircking around with the can is a bit too 'non-magical' and maybe a proof not needed????

Just my own thoughts on this, no doubt Dean Dill will continue to handle this the way he already does..and so, no doubt, with success :)

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 27th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Well I bought the thing and all I can say is... wmoderful (and I do mean wmoderful). Great handling, simple and "easy", a KILLER! I' ve played a bit with the whole thing and the one thing that bugs me a little is just before you let them hear the coin inside when you hold the can with 2 hands. Tricky little moment for me to get in position. I cant wait to actually do this one! Isnt it absolutely devilishly slick?! I agree with werner about the opening of the can at the end; it is a bit difficult because of the pressure inside.

And one more thing... The magician in me is thinking too much again; isnt it the "too-perfect" theory in action? Is it not just TOO perfect? Then again...i' m thinking too much, aren' t I? :rolleyes: (better try to remember MY reaction to the thing and then imagine a layman' s reaction!)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 27th, 2005, 1:51 pm

It really doesn't matter how you finish this as long as you are happy and they spectators have been NAILED... do what works for you.
Stay tooned.

Robert Sixx

Postby Robert Sixx » November 27th, 2005, 3:46 pm

All these accolades have prompted me to order this! It does look very good and may be the perfect impromptu trick!

Robert Sixx

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2005, 2:02 am

I have a question (seriously) to those doing the *coin in can* routine by Wayne Houchins.

I'm in love with this handling of a classic effect, due to it's impromtuness and ease of execution...

What do you think about, after the contents is drained into a glass, the coin inside is rattled close to the ears of some specs, and THEN handling them the can and right before that, *crash* the can with the hand handing it over, as much as you can onehanded, soley in the middle, but aim, to that also the top gets slightly damaged..

Doing this with a remark like: *Thank you for loaning me that quarter, pull it out yourself and
verify, your signature is on it*

Also have to mention, that you NOT beforehand let them se the signature on the coin via the cans natural opening, so your remark and handling fits the action and also might introduce some fun (the crashed can)!!!

What is your thought re the above suggestion, pls. give me a feedback, preferably from those, having performed the routine already under fire..[

I do have a handling re how to do that routine, without using the 2 handed shake, just a one
handed shake and display, but -as this is an open forum- I can't describe it :(

I've used it under fire and it worked nicely..

The disadvantage is, one can't 'rattle' the coin beforehand to prove it is inside the can, but OTOH, this 'rattling' in any case is rather weak..

What's done is, that the can is shakend with some remark, if they do hear the coin inside?, they don't? you don either ...and therefrom you pop open the can, pour out the contents and NOW rattle the coin inside hearably...

Pls. tell me what you think, I can't make up my mind re this..of course doing it continuously under fire will prove if it's good or bad, but I've problems in drinking all the beer :D (and I dislike the sweet stuff), so your thoughts on this are appreciated!

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 29th, 2005, 11:06 am

Hey Werner,

Here's what I think from having played a lot with the thing but actually performed it only once in front of a friend.

I strongly believe in "framing" the magic; that is: leave the coin inside as it is. Dont ruin the moment by taking the coin out or prying the can open. Not that it wouldn't work as well nor would it diminish the effect or the reaction but I believe when you hand the can to the person with the coin inside, it is a much stronger ending that when you do take the coin out right away, in my mind, anyway. No offense to Mr. Dill or Biro, of course, and as Mr. Biro pointed out earlier,"whatever works for you". Its kinda like the part where you turn over the wrong card on a spectator's hand or you let him turn it over. Much better to let him do it. I think its the same principle.

As for crashing the can, I dont know . It depends in what way you crash it. Maybe it isnt really necessary? I dont know... I'd have to see it done to make up my mind.

As for the 2-handed shake of the can to hear the coin inside; would a coin inside the can really make a sound? Or would it just move and kinda float along with the liquid? I think it is a nice handling; I like that part. I' d have to try the shaking of the can with a coin REALLY inside to see what it actually sounds like. But I think it's neat. If you could find a one-handed handling where you let them hear the coin, it think it would be great!

Just some thoughts,
Have a nice day.
Seb

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 29th, 2005, 4:25 pm

And the one-handed shake shouldnt be too hard to do either.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2005, 12:10 am

Originally posted by Seb Talbot:
And the one-handed shake shouldnt be too hard to do either.
Thanks for your thoughts Seb.
I don't know what you have in mind exactly, but when I mentioned the *one handed shake*, I was refering to *getting the coin into position*, without using both hands, and doing this in one smooth (and fast, natural)action.
That actually needs a bit of more skill then the 2 handed version.
However, to get a 'decent' sound of the coin being inside the can I think isn't possible using the method I played with, actually 2 methods that are very equal to each other though still different..
Still working on trying to find out what to 'prefer'..
Nevertheless, the one handed method passes by, as I have found out, still, I can't make up my mind... :(

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 30th, 2005, 11:41 am

Well, the original version is very deceptive so if you have the same thing happening with one hand only, I dont see why this couldnt also work.

S.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 30th, 2005, 6:26 pm

The way sales are going it looks like 30,000 magicians will all be putting each others coins into cans and having one gret big "shake" :D
Stay tooned.

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 30th, 2005, 7:01 pm

:D

S.

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2005, 12:06 am

The way sales are going it looks like 30,000 magicians will all be putting each others coins into cans and having one gret big "shake" :D
What about one great big SKL/CHEERS?
I suppose all the guys are using beercans? :D

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 1st, 2005, 3:24 am

Will we see muggles doing this bit before new years?

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2005, 5:54 am

You're all so wrong!

There soon will be held a convention of 30.000 stand-up performers, all popping up their beercans at the exact same split second -they all bring their favourite brand and can- at the countdown of 3, 2, 1, zero, with a big SKL :p

Inside joke:
These 30.000 guys are the very same ones, that now have stopped to perform unauthorised versions of VCA ;)
Hurray :D

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2005, 4:31 pm

Is this effect feasable also with Euro coin or only with the half dollar?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 1st, 2005, 7:00 pm

It uses a borrowed quarter, not a half dollar. No one in the United States actually uses half dollars as change.
I imagine that any coin about the same size would work.

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2005, 5:04 am

Sorry Mr.Kaufman.
I intended a quarter of a dollar.
I don't know why i wrote half a dollar!
I live in Italy and it would be nice if i can do it with euro change.
Thank you for your suggestion, i've just checked and i saw that 1 Euro is the same size of a quarter of a dollar.
I think i'll buy it.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 2nd, 2005, 5:06 am

I suppose it's a clever way to get back your deposit on the can, that is to sell the soda with the can deposit already inside.

:p

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2005, 5:15 am

No deposit, be smart, borrow everything, after all, not even the loaner of the filled can knows what you are up to..
Drink the beer -it's for free- and I'm pretty sure the loaner of the can is so occupied speculating about what he has seen, that he neither will ask re payment for that beer..and the loaner of the coin, gets it back, inside the can..
So, all you got out of this is fun and a free beer :p
Hejjjj, somehow this is what magic is all about, for some of use ??? ;)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 2nd, 2005, 5:43 am

No deposit, be smart, borrow everything,...
Werner, that was a suggestion for a presentation.

Do you know where the deposit on your bottle or can goes?

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2005, 7:21 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
[b] No deposit, be smart, borrow everything,...
Werner, that was a suggestion for a presentation.

Do you know where the deposit on your bottle or can goes? [/b]
As a presentation idea, I really think its great!!!
Whereto the money goes?
Oh yes, in case of our country to the government, called *environment* tax..don't ask me to let you know what I think about that...there aren't hours enough in a day...

Bob Klase

Postby Bob Klase » December 2nd, 2005, 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Seb Talbot:
As for the 2-handed shake of the can to hear the coin inside; would a coin inside the can really make a sound? Or would it just move and kinda float along with the liquid? I think it is a nice handling; I like that part. I' d have to try the shaking of the can with a coin REALLY inside to see what it actually sounds like.
I think the fact that you don't know what kind of sound a coin would really make should tell you something- if you don't know, how many people would know?

I suppose after you do the trick, a spectator might go home and put a quarter in a can just so they could see if it sounds the same as when you did it, but I think it's just as likely that the sun would explode and destroy the planet before they had a chance to do that.

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » December 4th, 2005, 10:55 am

Yeah...Probably right, Bob!

S.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”