Crushed and Restored Soda Can

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Steve Mills

Crushed and Restored Soda Can

Postby Steve Mills » August 11th, 2002, 5:18 am

OK, I admit a fascination with the restored soda can effect performed by David Blaine.

I've been searching on the net for the original, as I'm a big believer in dealing with and rewarding the inventor, when possible.

It seems there are a lot of versions out there, many claiming to be the routine Blaine performed.

Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks....
Steve

PS On a simpler note -

Has anyone seen this live? Hoe does it play?

Adam Brooks

Re: Crushed and Restored Soda Can

Postby Adam Brooks » August 11th, 2002, 6:56 am

Here's the epic thread sparked by this effect:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 1;t=000381

I've seen the effect cone by Tim Ellis. I, like everyone else in the room, was completely boggled.

As for which one to buy; I feel Ellis' finesses are worth buying his lecture notes in which the trick in explained.

My two pesos,

Adam

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » August 11th, 2002, 9:46 am

To Adam and Others - I apologize.

I honestly tried a search and came up blank before I posted. Today it works - OK I'm lame!

Just read a lot of the thread - Whoa!!!!

Thanks for taking the time.....
Steve

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » August 11th, 2002, 1:50 pm

Anders Moden is the inventor of the trick. You can get an authorized e-manuscript from him. I forget the web site but his email is:
moden@telia.com.
I think the price is $12.

Mike

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2002, 11:10 am

Elwood

Postby Elwood » August 19th, 2002, 11:32 am

Try here: www.magictricks.co.uk

MagicTricks.co.uk is the UK's biggest (and possibly best) online magic dealer. They sell an official licensed booklet for about 9 which is better than the original manuscript, as it is easier to read (the original PDF file has a green background apparently, to stop you printing illegal copies), and comes with a couple of bonus routines.

The effect is strong, and is well worth the money.

The link again: www.magictricks.co.uk

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2002, 11:53 am

Its the same manuscript.

Go direct to Anders Moden its cheaper.

I had no difficulty reading his manuscript, it clear and concise with large print.

Why would you want to copy it anyway??
keep it for yourself and it will stay secret.
Thats the magic ingredient!!

get it here.

http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-52256/healedandsealed.html

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2002, 2:39 am

Anyway. I perform the Anders Moden version , and Its great. I have heard that maybe it will be a spanish translation of the manuscrypt in a weeks.

I dont like the Blaines handling. He does not exploit the effect so well, in my opinion, of course.

Best regards from Spain

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2002, 4:38 am

Sounds like my kind of effect, though I haven't seen it. As I do street shows I need to know if it's suitable for my show, though. Without disclosing the workings, can you tell me:

what are the angles like?

is it mostly sleight of hand or does it involve gimmicks?

is it self contained (eg can I pick it up during my show and do it, or does it involve some kind of awkward gimmicks that may affect when/how it can be done)?

Does it need to be out of sight before/after the trick, or can it be left in view?

Thanks.

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2002, 4:51 am

Originally posted by Malcolm Russell:
Sounds like my kind of effect, though I haven't seen it. As I do street shows I need to know if it's suitable for my show, though. Without disclosing the workings, can you tell me:

angles are great. you can do it full surrounded.

-easy to perform and a very clever solution.

is it self contained (eg can I pick it up during my show and do it, or does it involve some kind of awkward gimmicks that may affect when/how it can be done)?

-you can do it at anytime.

Does it need to be out of sight before/after the trick, or can it be left in view?

-yes, it does

Thanks.
I strongly suggest this effect. Its not so much money, and the explanations are great.

Consider to buy it to Anders.

Jorge

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 20th, 2002, 8:20 am

Without disclosing the workings, can you tell me:

Angles are non-existant. The only potential problem may be with the resealing of the can, but I doubt it. It goes by quickly enough that it won't be noticed. I recommend Tim Ellis's method for this.

The can is gimmicked.

The only consideration is that you must prepare a can shortly before you do the effect (30mins-1 hour).

It can be left in view. The way to present it, IMO, is to open an un-prepared can at the beginning of your show and pour yourself a drink form it. Then, crush the can and leave it on your table until you are ready to perform the effect. Casually switch the can in the process of looking for another one or looking for a place to throw the used can out. After you've done the switch, go into the effect. It will blow their minds.

I think the only thing for you to worry about is resetting the effect for repeat shows on the street. It only takes about a minute or two, but it needs to be done in a private place. If there are any bushes nearby, you may be able to prepare a can there, or if you can sneak into a bathroom somewhere. In any case, I'd say get it. If you can't use it in your street shows, it can be a powerful pseudo-impromptu effect for when you're hanging out with friends.

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2002, 9:05 am

Does this mean that if I buy the trick from Anders Moden, I also have to buy Tim Ellis' version to get the resealing method you suggest?
Bummer.
:confused:

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 20th, 2002, 9:31 am

Does this mean that if I buy the trick from Anders Moden, I also have to buy Tim Ellis' version to get the resealing method you suggest?
Bummer.
:confused:
I'm not certain, since I don't own Anders's manuscript, but I believe he describes Tim's method for resealing. If not, let me know...I'll help you out.

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2002, 6:01 pm

Ander's manuscript teaches everything, get it.

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2002, 4:35 pm

I Ander's effect you come on with the can already open and crushed and then uncrush and reseal it.

I have worked out a method whereby you open a full can of coke, pour it into a glass, crush the can and drink the coke. You then uncrush the can, reseal the top and the can is full again.

This version works WITH Anders not instead of it. It looks great on stage and stops the problem of having to come on with an empty can. I'll give the directions to anyone with proof of purchase of anders or ellis' version.

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2002, 7:10 pm

Originally posted by Nicholas J. Johnson:
I have worked out a method whereby you open a full can of coke, pour it into a glass, crush the can and drink the coke. You then uncrush the can, reseal the top and the can is full again.
I beleive Jim Maloney gives a decent explanation of what you have described a few posts above yours.

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » August 26th, 2002, 6:30 am

Hi Nicholas,

I believe that Tim Ellis is already doing what you describe. He opens a can, pours out the coke, crushes the can and puts the crushed can on the table. Later he picks up the can and does the restoration. Your method for achieving the extended effect could be original, however. You might want to check Tim's notes. I have the Moden manuscript but not Ellis' notes. I presume that Tim teaches what he is performing, which is what I described above.

Mike

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2002, 2:43 pm

So he does....

The method I have been using has no switches. I have Anders version which I believe Ellis bought the rights to.

The idea I have been tinkering has no switches.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”