Watch Steal

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Brad A._dup1

Watch Steal

Postby Brad A._dup1 » April 16th, 2003, 11:50 pm

I'm looking into working on my watch-steal. I've been shown a few ways...so I know what's up (at least, with buckle-bands)....

What's a nice way to practice this on live people? If one messes up, shall I just say I'm practicing it?

Or, perhaps, does someone have a superior way of stealing watches? (Not from the watch-store)

-Brad

Pete Biro

Re: Watch Steal

Postby Pete Biro » April 17th, 2003, 2:27 pm

You miss? Just say, "Hey your band came loose. better watch out for pickpockets."

Or... "Hey your band came loose, good think I'm not a thief."

:p
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2003, 7:30 am

I agree with Pete Biro. If you ever mess up on a watch steal, try covering up with a joke. I'll post a few one-liners at the end of this post. A good way to practice the watch steal is by putting a watch on everything around the house. Doorknobs, railings, chair arms, etc. This way, stealing a watch moves away from being a skill to being a habit. Most of the time, whenever a person steals a watch, it's because he's nervous; if you steal a watch out of casual habit, 9/10 times you'd get away with it. I believe Chappy Brazil or Kevin King also gave the advice of rolling bubble wrap into a tube, and placing several watches around it. Practice stealing the watches off the bubble wrap and time yourself. If it takes over a minute, you're going too slow. If you pop any of the bubbles, you're pressing too hard. Try finding as many sources on the watch steal as possible. I prefer using Gregory Wilson's methos as described in On the Spot, because his steal is based around misdirection rather than speed. He also gives a way on how to steal the watch more than once which is a nice add-on. So with that said... on to the jokes.

1. Kevin King recommends pausing after you've been caught... then stating, "Well... I've got to make a living somehow," proceeding to put the watch in your pocket.

2. "Damn, this is difficult..."

3. Gregory Wilson once couldn't even get the band out of the clasp, so naturally he was caught right away. He yanked the person's wrist around so people immediately knew what he was attempting to do. He looked up innocently as said, "What?"

4. "And THAT's how you steal a watch..."

5. "Um, I just wanted to see what time it was?"

I hope this all helps out a little bit. Check you later.

RT

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 23rd, 2003, 7:58 pm

I saw a good professional magician successfully steal a watch from a young girl during his performance and he continued his performance before the rather large crowd and at the end he returned the watch and the audience loved it.

I told him he should not have waited that long to give back the watch because the girl could have (a) left without being seen or (b) noticed her watch was gone.

He disagreed.

Any other thoughts about this?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 24th, 2003, 11:18 am

Stephen Bargatze uses a Scotch and Soda routine as an excuse to hold the spectator's wrists. His personality is so strong, however, he doesn't really need to do so.

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2003, 10:56 pm

I've never seen anyone do a watch steal without resorting to an odd excuse for holding their wrist!

Audiences never notice the watch steal but magicians sure would!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 25th, 2003, 1:20 am

I saw Jeff Hobson steal a watch at the beginning of his egg bag routine with no odd excuse. He was just leading the lady to the stage.

Take care, Ian

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 25th, 2003, 4:18 am

Many, may years ago, when I was in college, we would have fraternity parties and on some occasions, as a pretty girl would come into our fraternity house I would take her arm and bring her over to introduce her to my friend Eli, taking her watch and then, as I shook Eli's hand, I would give the watch to him. He would speak to her and give her her watch. Great magic!!

But Eli would wind up with the girl.

As I grew older I became wiser.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”