Roy Walton trick...

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Justin Wheatley

Roy Walton trick...

Postby Justin Wheatley » February 11th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to remember where I can find this trick and what it's called. I believe it's in Pabular, and I know it's by Mr. Walton...

If I'm recalling correctly, the spectator chooses some cards out of a packet, much like a ten card poker deal selection procedure. Then you show what cards they picked, revealing it to be a full house Poker hand. To top everything off, you show a prediction that foresaw the full house and the values of the cards they'd pick.

Any help? I'm positive it's in a publication...

Justin Wheatley

Re: Roy Walton trick...

Postby Justin Wheatley » February 11th, 2010, 1:17 pm

I also remember the trick uses the Elmsley Count as a displacement of four cards.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 11th, 2010, 1:28 pm

A trick that produces the exact same effect is in the big collected T.A. Waters book. It is based on a Paul Curry effect. I can give you the reference this evening.

It looks exactly like a variation of the ten-card poker deal, but you predict their hand (a pair) and yours (a straight).

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » February 11th, 2010, 1:55 pm

This is a great trick. It is called 'Duck Soup' and is in the Summer 1985 issue of RICHARDS ALMANAC. I love the use of the Elmsley count for the secret displacement...

Joe

PS There is a great trick by Roy in the DECMEBER 2009 issue of MYSTERY magazine. It uses a similar displacement to that used 'Duck Soup' but to a totally different effect. It is a wonderful trick and is well worth checking out. The cheapest way to track down the issue would be to buy the Pdf file over HERE (just scroll down the page). You can get that for just $1.50. It really is Roy Walton at his best...

PPS Check out my tribute to Roy Walton over HERE

Justin Wheatley

Postby Justin Wheatley » February 11th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Thanks a lot Joe. I really love the trick and I needed to remember! I went ahead and bought the issue of Mystery Magazine, because $1.50 is too good to pass up. Also, really loved that article.

Pete-- I have have the TA Waters book, although I don't remember that trick. Would love to know...

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 11th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:A trick that produces the exact same effect is in the big collected T.A. Waters book. It is based on a Paul Curry effect. I can give you the reference this evening.

It looks exactly like a variation of the ten-card poker deal, but you predict their hand (a pair) and yours (a straight).

The trick is Decideal. See Deckalogue (1982) or Mind, Myth and Magick, page 206 (1993). Based on Cider! by Paul Curry in Paul Cuury Presents, page 28 (1974).

Return to “Close-Up Magic”