Diagonal Palm Shift

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Matt Richman

Diagonal Palm Shift

Postby Matt Richman » August 2nd, 2009, 8:59 am

Hi Guys,

Below is a link to a quick video of my handling of the DPS. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Matt

P.S. Who is going to MAGIC Live?

El Mystico

Re: Diagonal Palm Shift

Postby El Mystico » August 2nd, 2009, 9:50 am

This is a bit tricky. Cervon has a valuable tip which would impprove what you are doing a lot; however, it is on his private DVDs which aren't released yet. If you are serious about this sleight, watch out for them.

Matt Richman

Postby Matt Richman » August 2nd, 2009, 12:35 pm

When will they be released?

Thanks,
Matt

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » August 2nd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Matt, I think that the action is pretty smooth. Good job. What I think is missing and I'd like to see is, what do you do after the steal? In other words, your clip ends with the card in palm and the hand on the table in a position that frankly screams "it is over here now." Don't take this as criticism of your move, it is just that I get tired of watching sleights on video that demonstrate a move in a vacuum. How about finishing the sleight in the context of a routine?

So, if you wanted feedback on the removal, good job. Now let's see what you do with the card once it is palmed.

Hope you take this in the spirit in which it is intended.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Matt Richman

Postby Matt Richman » August 2nd, 2009, 9:01 pm

Honestly, I don't use the sleight in performance; I don't have an application for it.

I just learned it because it's a cool move.

-Matt

M. Yandorf

Postby M. Yandorf » August 4th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Very well done!

rkosby

Postby rkosby » August 4th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Matt,

That was way above par. I want to see it again, when you have an application for it.

Ray

Roberto

Postby Roberto » August 14th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Matt,
That looked really good. Bravo dude! However, I do agree wholeheardetly with tortuga regarding the position you left yourself in after you palmed the card. He's right, it definitely screams, "It's over here now!". Finish it off in the context of a good routine and you'll have killer stuff.

Roberto

Disparity1

Postby Disparity1 » August 14th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Matt Richman wrote:Honestly, I don't use the sleight in performance; I don't have an application for it.

-Matt

That's cool, but I think what's being suggested to you in various forms is that while you extract the card from the deck well, that extraction isn't all there is to the move. As such, you have part of it down, and the rest of it not at all. You stop before the move is actually over. Forgiving that, the part of the move that you DO do is pretty nice.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 14th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Aaron Fisher has been writing quite a bit about The Diagonal Palm Shift in Genii in his columns. One of the most important things is to do as Erdnase (and Vernon) did in paying attention to the misdirection of the move: your right hand has to go somewhere with the deck. Erdnase did the sleight sitting at the table, concluding by moving the right hand forward toward the spectator and tabling the deck near him. This takes all the heat off the left hand.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 15th, 2009, 1:27 am

Matt Richman wrote:Honestly, I don't use the sleight in performance; I don't have an application for it.

-Matt

John Carney's Card In Balloon. It is perfect in the way that The Homing Card (from Stars of Magic) is perfect.

bobon

Postby bobon » August 21st, 2009, 3:12 am

Nice!!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 21st, 2009, 3:58 am

For anyone else interested in taking on this move, Jason England teaches the DPS for 22 minutes (I think) on his new Foundations DVD. I had tried learning the move a couple of times before, without successit's definitely a black diamond move. But by the end of Jason's segment I had made more progress than in all the time I had spent before put together. I recommend it highly if you want your DPS to look as good as Matt's.

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » August 21st, 2009, 7:42 am

See Roger's Thesaurus, page 119, for Roger Crosthwaite on the DPS, one of his favourite sleights.
Anthony

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » August 23rd, 2009, 5:57 am

Hi Matt,
Well done.
How about doing an all-around square-up just after that you have palmed the card. This way you can regrip the deck in a natural way.

Terry

Postby Terry » August 23rd, 2009, 10:52 am

Pete,

Foundations is one of the best learning tools out there.

Jason's instruction on the second deal addresses points that helps one in learning this as well.

One additional challenge is from John Carney's book 'Secrets' in switching the deck to a persons strong hand. It has made the learning process much easier than holding the deck in my weaker (left) hand.

Matt Richman

Postby Matt Richman » September 2nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:

-Matt

John Carney's Card In Balloon. It is perfect in the way that The Homing Card (from Stars of Magic) is perfect.

Where can it be found?

AnthonyBrahams wrote:See Roger's Thesaurus, page 119, for Roger Crosthwaite on the DPS, one of his favourite sleights.

Thanks for the reference. I'll definitely check it out soon.

Philippe Nol wrote:Hi Matt,
Well done.
How about doing an all-around square-up just after that you have palmed the card. This way you can regrip the deck in a natural way.

I'm actually trying to eliminate all-around square-ups from my magic. It's a nervous habit I'd like to get rid of. However, I definitely like the idea of putting the deck back into mechanics grip once the card has been palmed.

-Matt

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 2nd, 2009, 11:42 pm

I'm not sure if the Carney Card in Balloon is in print or on video at the moment. It's in his OOP Carney Knowledge.

Many of the rare effects from that small book are on his Master Sessions DVD set. Perhaps (hopefully) it will be included on disk 4.

Matt Richman

Postby Matt Richman » September 4th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Thanks for the credits Bill!

-Matt

Return to “Close-Up Magic”