steve shufton okito coin box

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Chris Deleo

steve shufton okito coin box

Postby Chris Deleo » July 8th, 2009, 12:46 pm

anyone use it? I like the idea of a wider rim and a deeper box for steals and such, plus it accommodates a shell...

I dont think he produces Boston or Plug boxes, though.

Any thoughts/opinions on this box before I plunk down $40

Tortuga

Re: steve shufton okito coin box

Postby Tortuga » July 8th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Not familiar with it. Personally, I use the Jim Zee boxes. You can expect to pay around $20.00 per box. Not sure of the web address, you can search for it.

Zee's boxes are superb and have thick sides and also work with shells. He has matching slot boxes and Boston boxes also.

He sells a set that includes one lid, the regular box, the slot box and Boston box bottom for a reasonable price.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » July 8th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Just went and looked at Steve's Okito Box on his website. Looks beautiful. Either way you will have a box to last a lifetime.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

M. Yandorf

Postby M. Yandorf » July 8th, 2009, 10:52 pm

It's a great box for certain moves, a bad box for other moves.

I own it.

The pros:
The box is noticeably larger than any other Okito box, including the Lassen box. The large-ness gives it increased visibility which means you can work farther away from the spectator. The box's size means the rim of the box sits higher, this makes rim-steals easier.

The box is heavy, and has a thick bottom, final turn-overs are basically automatic.

The box can hold 5 half dollars. This allows to you shake the box and make a rattle noise even when it contains 4 coins. It also aids to fool the spectator in regard to how full the box is.

The box hole is wide enough to hold an expanded shell.

The cons:
The lid is very deep, this makes silent lid steals difficult.

Because the box is so big, holding a coin on the bottom after a Roth "click-pass" is difficult.

Shuffton does not make a slot or Boston box.

Summary:
If you're into rim-steal, the Shufton box is great.

If you're into "click-passes" or lid-steals your better off using the Buddha box or Jim Zachary.

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » July 9th, 2009, 1:12 am

Chris Deleo

Postby Chris Deleo » July 9th, 2009, 7:04 am

thanks for the breakdown, M. Yandorf. Rim steals are a must. But the Roth "click pass" is right up there.

Ultimately, since I cannot "add on" the boston/plug/slot boxes, I may have to go with another brand.

Bill Johnson

Postby Bill Johnson » September 12th, 2009, 6:07 pm

I like the original Roth set, I have used it for years and it has never failed for me.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 12th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Chris Deleo wrote:thanks for the breakdown, M. Yandorf. Rim steals are a must. But the Roth "click pass" is right up there.

Ultimately, since I cannot "add on" the boston/plug/slot boxes, I may have to go with another brand.

what is this about "adding on" - just buy two sets and fill one with solder, clear lacquer or whatever.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » September 13th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Guys;
Think about the design of this box. If you are using only 4 coins in a 5 coin box and wanted a Boston Box, the depression would need to be 2 coins deep. If this were done, would the 5 coin box still hold 5 coins? The space needs to come from somewhere. It is logical that he does not offer a Boston Box option. As for a plug box, that would be simple enough as would a slot box.

Jon, filling with solder ... that defeats the nice workmanship of this box. Uggggg... For shame.
Jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 13th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Jim, the guy wanted a solid box for his routine - so I suggested buying two sets so he could fill one with acrylic to get the "all filled up" effect and take the lid and solder it onto one of the other boxes - and so have an extra Boston box as well.

No shame in getting a suitable result from the materials at hand IMHO.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » September 14th, 2009, 4:48 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Jim, the guy wanted a solid box for his routine - so I suggested buying two sets so he could fill one with acrylic to get the "all filled up" effect and take the lid and solder it onto one of the other boxes - and so have an extra Boston box as well.

No shame in getting a suitable result from the materials at hand IMHO.

Jon;
Perhaps I am not fully understanding what you are saying.

An "all filled up" effect is not the same as a solid brass disc to resemble the box proper. One is a filled up box and the other never was a box (just looked like one).

What concerns me more is the idea of soldering a lid onto a box to create a Boston box. The lid is typically a larger O.D. than the O.D. of the box and the I.D. of a lid will be larger than the I.D. of a box. If a lid was soldered onto the bottom of a box, there would be a very visible "step" between the box body and the lid. This would not be on the original box. When showing the "Boston end" of the soldered on lid box, the coin(s) would be a very sloppy fit - not like the fit within the box.

Did I miss something?
Jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 14th, 2009, 6:26 am

Not sure where we are missing each other on this one. The Roth box set has three boxes and a lid. http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2334 I am suggesting that to get the "sokito" type prop where the box is solid or where the lid is fused to the box, set up in props that match...

That he purchase two sets of the Roth boxes. The first is used as per the instructions and unaltered. With the second set, put aside the Boston box (for later creative use someday) and to use of the regular and slot boxes as well as the lid (all from this second set) to construct the props needed for the fused and sokito.

probably missing something too,
Jon

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » September 14th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Jon;
Silly me ... I foolishly thought we were discussing the Steve Shufton Okito coin box - which is not offered in a Boston type. My comments above were all about this particular box not the Roth Set or some other set with a solid or Boston.

What you have written makes sense when I realize that we were not discussing the same box.
Jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 14th, 2009, 1:44 pm

aha - silly me too - i saw the reference to jim zee and thought we were in this thread: http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post202118
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Close-Up Magic”