What makes a quiet expanded shell?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
M. Yandorf

What makes a quiet expanded shell?

Postby M. Yandorf » June 21st, 2009, 3:13 am

From my experience there is one factor that makes a shell quiet, and it's not Teflon tape.

I am referring to a normal expanded shell, or a non-expanded shell; sliding half shells (i.e. Slippery Sams) are another story.

Anyway...
The sound of de-shelling and re-shelling a coin is made from the coin scraping the inside rim. Logically: a shallow shell makes less noise than a deep shell.

Lining the inside bottom with Teflon would not cut down on shell noise. Teflon lining also give an extra layer of material a magnet must work through for a shimmed shell, this would give it a weaker magnetic pull.

The way I see it:
Deep shells = more noise
Shallow shells = less noise

Of course deep shells look nicer, but sound louder.

Sammy J.

Re: What makes a quiet expanded shell?

Postby Sammy J. » July 27th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Probably true. I have a CSB set that is 30 years old. Back then I thought it was too noisy, so I lined the shell with regular masking tape. It helped quiet it down cosiderably, and after 30 years of use, the original tape is still working fine!

Chris Deleo

Postby Chris Deleo » July 27th, 2009, 11:19 pm

probably a question for Todd Lassen. When do you hear artificial noise most, when nesting the coin? I've found an overall lighter touch helps a lot. Plus general background noise seems to cover a lot when working restaurants and other events.

it's pretty much an inherent evil, but there are ways to combat it

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 6th, 2009, 10:35 pm

If my shell acts up I give it a "time out" in the corner until it lears to behave itself.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”