Jacks, Queens, And Kings

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Jacks, Queens, And Kings

Postby 000 » October 13th, 2008, 5:00 am

JACKS, QUEENS AND KINGS.
Requirements:
The Parade of the Kings ( the split King cards to be replaced with Jacks)( Ken de Courcy)
BWave ( the backs to be changed.........3 silver, gold backed on the split Queen card)(Max Maven)
Off with his Head ( David Regal)
3 Envelopes.Two containing windows on one side,(one which would show a silver backed Queen(s)card ,the other would show a blue backed King(s) card.) One windowless envelope, containing, but not showing the Jack(s).

The cards are in the 3 envelopes, and the packets are on the table. Jacks are on the bottom, followed by the Kings,the Queens are on top.

Start by saying that this is a story of 4 Jacks, Queens and Kings.
Commence with Bwave, a game of imagination. On the (second)part of the force you pose the questions:
"Of the red queens, which queen do you imagine was particularly good at the art of head chopping, the Queen of Hearts or the Queen of Diamonds?".....the choice is written in black marker pen on the envelope.

Move onto Off with his Head,saying that the(selected)queen will be chopping of a King's head.(informing the spectator that she will play the (selected) queen,the rest as per David's routine.) The name of the ( selected) King is likewise written down on the envelope.

Move onto The Parade of the Kings, stating that one of the Jacks no doubt had betrayed the ( selected) King. (This part of the routine of course the addded benefit that you're offering an absolute free choice. Afterwards your audience will be convinced that they had an absolute free choice all along.) The name of the selected Jack is likewise written down on the envelope.

"now we know it was the (selected) Jack that had betrayed the King. We know that because ...............................( show the face and different colour back. (you can also allude to blood here with the red card(s). The faces obviously can't be shown and the cards are replaced.
"and we know it was the ( selected) King whose head was chopped off".....ah there is blood on the card."...then show the Kings face and replace)
"And finally we know it was the ( selected) Queen who chopped the (selected) Kings head off, as this queen was the only queen to win gold for head chopping at the Royal Olympics. As for the other Queens, well they disappeared when they heard that they were to be tested for doping."

Chris van der maas

Hallas

Re: Jacks, Queens, And Kings

Postby Hallas » October 13th, 2008, 3:15 pm

I wouldn't have thought anyone would routine similar effects together like this Chris, but I must say, I like it. It builds and has an amusing punch line.

Paul.

Postby 000 » October 18th, 2008, 12:10 am

Thanks Paul, coming from you means a lot.

I found your book SMALL BUT DEADLY, The Packet Trickster's Handbook, most enriching and inspiring, and can recommend it highly as 'the ultimate consumer's guide to packet tricks' ( as per the blurb on the cover)

Postby 000 » November 17th, 2008, 2:04 am

Cards by Martin has made me a Jumbo set for PERSONAL use......as a final variation I use green and orange backs for the Parade of the Kings ( now Jacks) part of the routine, and have had the cards laminated for long use. Especially useful for 'lazy' workers (like myself) who want to concentrate on presentation.
And as they say in the blurbs........packs small plays big.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”