Frank Garcia Books

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Frank Garcia Books

Postby Q. Kumber » May 14th, 2024, 1:29 pm

El Mystico wrote:The earliest reference I've seen to the Quadruple Coincidence trick is in Daley's Notebooks; entry 384 Sid Radner’s Do As I Do. This is in Volume 4, so probably dates to 1944. (Crediting it to Radner is no guarantee it was Radner's creation; just that he learned it from Radner).
Radner worked for the government during World War II touring service bases and guarding servicemen from cheats. He had a great interest in Houdini.

I've been reading through my file of Ken de Courcy's magazine, Coffee Break Chronicle. In Volume 3, No. 2, dated May, 1990 he describes Sid Radner's Triple You Do As I Do. It's the same trick as Quadruple Coincidence. Ken credits Sid Radner as the inventor and that Sid showed it to himself and Eddie Joseph in Calcutta about 1944. He also adds that, "At the same session Sid demonstrated his new One-handed Bottom Deal.I can't do it but the following day, Eddie had worked out twelve effects with it."

Ken's Coffee-Break Chronicle magazine was limited to 100 copies per issue and ran for nine volumes, the first issue being January 1988 and was punctual.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Frank Garcia Books

Postby Q. Kumber » May 14th, 2024, 1:32 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:
El Mystico wrote:The earliest reference I've seen to the Quadruple Coincidence trick is in Daley's Notebooks; entry 384 Sid Radner’s Do As I Do. This is in Volume 4, so probably dates to 1944. (Crediting it to Radner is no guarantee it was Radner's creation; just that he learned it from Radner).
Radner worked for the government during World War II touring service bases and guarding servicemen from cheats. He had a great interest in Houdini.

I've been reading through my file of Ken de Courcy's magazine, Coffee Break Chronicle. In Volume 3, No. 2, dated May, 1990 he describes Sid Radner's Triple You Do As I Do. It's the same trick as Quadruple Coincidence. Ken credits Sid Radner as the inventor and that Sid showed it to himself and Eddie Joseph in Calcutta about 1944. He also adds that, "At the same session Sid demonstrated his new One-handed Bottom Deal.I can't do it but the following day, Eddie had worked out twelve effects with it."

Johnny Thompson's handling is meticulously written up by Jay Ian Swiss in Volume 2 of The Magic of Johnny Thompson.

Ken's Coffee-Break Chronicle magazine was limited to 100 copies per issue and ran for nine volumes, the first issue being January 1988 and was punctual.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”