The "Clue Cards" Plot

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Marty Jacobs
Favorite Magician: Alex Elmsley

The "Clue Cards" Plot

Postby Marty Jacobs » February 11th, 2024, 4:34 pm

I recently posted a new card trick on my blog, "The Tell-Tale Hearts", which follows the "Clue Cards" plot. Instead of requiring the participant to remember a specific card, this trick involves finding three cards with the same suit that add up to the value of the chosen card. This approach eliminates the pressure of memorising card names, making it perfect for anyone, especially young children still learning shapes and numbers.

This particular trick is based on one by Nick Trost called "Double Discovery" from his book The Card Magic of Nick Trost.

Surely this isn't a new idea. Does anyone know of any existing card tricks that use a similar plot?

Thanks,

Marty

P.S. I've been playing around with this plot for a few years. "Sherlockian Sarnie" is another example that explores this idea.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: The "Clue Cards" Plot

Postby Q. Kumber » February 12th, 2024, 2:33 am

When I saw the topic heading, I thought you were referring to tricks based around the game or plot of Clue, or Cluedo as it is known on this side of the Atlantic.

Chris Congreave has a trick based around the game, Cloak. https://stellarmagicshop.com/product/cloak and he has a few different versions of the cards as well.

Dick Steiner has a routine Clued In to be found in his book Trifecta

Closer to your version of the plot, John Bannon has an excellent routine, Gang Related, in the October 2023 Genii.
It's always a pleasure to find a card trick that has a plot that would interest an audience.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 12th, 2024, 4:08 am

Look at Amazing Prediction by Harry Lorayne, page 52 in Rim Shots published in 1973.

It's pratically the same trick, except he used only two cards to reveal and count to the chosen card.

Marty Jacobs

Postby Marty Jacobs » February 12th, 2024, 6:09 am

Thanks, Philippe. I have read "Amazing Prediction", and the trick certainly lives up to its name! However, Harry's routine is more complex than the one I am suggesting. The addition of the two values also indicates a location in the deck, which is not something that I am doing here.

In the two tricks I mentioned above, the selected card is not returned to the deck. Instead, the pack provides "clue cards" that share the same suit and add up to the same value as the chosen card.

Marty

P.S. Yes, I'm also interested in tricks based on deduction games like Cluedo. In fact, "The Tell-Tale Hearts" can be presented as a pseudo-Cluedo game! Thanks for the additional trick references, Mr Kumber! ;) I'll check them out. I was also playing around with a simple card trick based on the game The King of Hearts Has Five Sons last night and hit upon a cool self-working method which enables you to present the trick as a double prediction. This will be appearing on my blog soon under the title "Psychic Detective"!

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 13th, 2024, 12:16 pm

Paul Harris' Micky Mouse Maths in Close Up Fantasies is a close relative...

Marty Jacobs

Postby Marty Jacobs » February 14th, 2024, 2:18 am

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Marty

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » April 5th, 2024, 9:29 am

also see Lorayne's Strange Harmony in Kaufman's Cardmagic.

Marty Jacobs

Postby Marty Jacobs » April 9th, 2024, 5:12 am

Thanks. I'll add that one to the list, too.

Marty

Return to “Close-Up Magic”