Baby socks ball holder

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

Baby socks ball holder

Postby Michael Rubinstein » June 8th, 2023, 7:36 am

Does anyone know any published references of who came up with the idea of using baby socks as a small ball holder?

Philippe Billot

Re: Baby socks ball holder

Postby Philippe Billot » June 8th, 2023, 8:58 am

I think it was first describe in Greater Magic (but I'm not sure)

The tip was also described in The Magic Wand Year Book, 1946/47, page 20. MUM october 1957 and New Tops May 1963 but they speak about old sock, not baby sock

Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » June 8th, 2023, 9:26 am

That is a great starting point, thanks. Is there a name of someone in those references who posted the concept? If anyone can check Greater Magic to see if there is an earlier reference, that would be awesome.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » June 8th, 2023, 9:36 am

I find it; It's page 627:

"The simplest possible form of holder for a number of balls is that said to be used by one of our most skilful manipulators. It consists of a sock, the toe of which has been cut off just enough to allow a ball to be squeezed out. This is Fig. 2 loaded with the balls to be used and is then fastened under the coat with a safety-pin."

But no name is associated with the idea.

As Greater Magic had some compilations, it's evident that the idea is older.

To be continued... (suspens)

CalvinSze
Favorite Magician: Derren Brown

Postby CalvinSze » July 29th, 2023, 12:02 am

I’ve been using a similar idea for a coin.

The idea may also be applied on a stack. Haven’t tested yet.

Suspected the idea existed before (or have seen it before) as a sock holder, now that you mention it, I’m learning more about its background.

If you sew a button on your trousers, a flat tube of cotton and elastic fiber could be attached on (and conveniently detached from) the clothing with one end of a button hole in the tube; and the other end a coin sits flat in it poking out half its head.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » July 29th, 2023, 9:58 am

I would probably do something crazy, like introducing a sock puppet, as my "assistant." https://witchhazel.typepad.com/blog/magic-ball-of-yarn/

Give him a catchy name and ask everyone to say "hello." When they do, one could say, "And you thought I was strange; you're talking to a sock puppet."

With the puppet hollowed out in the back, a ball(s) could be hidden in plain view. Should be easy to steal a ball while the women are marveling over how cute it is and the men are looking at one another and rolling their eyes, as if to say, "This guy is peculiar." Just as many of you reading this might be (correctly) thinking right now.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”