Bill Wisch performs The Princess Card Trick on his Slydini Lecture Tour on February 28, 1978 Vintage Video

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Kevin Wisch

Bill Wisch performs The Princess Card Trick on his Slydini Lecture Tour on February 28, 1978 Vintage Video

Postby Kevin Wisch » September 24th, 2021, 11:06 am

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DREB1t ... =BillWisch

Dai Vernon sat in the front row the first time my Dad performed and lectured at the Magic Castle in 1977. He remembers performing the effect in this video while Vernon looked directly at him and had this huge impish smile on his face. Vernon clearly knew what he was presenting was at the time a little known effect by Nate Leipzig “The Princess Card Trick.” Vernon had published the trick in his book “Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig” where my father had discovered it. According to him, he fooled everyone with it at that lecture (except Dai!). He went on to create his own method of producing the cards; Nate's were penned on with ink, his were split and made from two cards. Over the years, he hand-made and sold more than 25,000 sets of Princess Cards to the magic community world-wide.

This video was taken by my Dad's friend Pete Petrashek on his Slydini Lecture tour on February 28, 1978. Pete was well known in the magic community for being childhood best friends with Johnny Carson. He worked at the local Omaha, Nebraska television and radio station WOW for 40 years where he recorded this video in their studio on “U-Matic” tape.

I hope you enjoy it and please like this video and subscribe to my father's Youtube channel if you'd like him to continue to post videos and content like this. Thank you and stay safe!

- Kevin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Bill Wisch performs The Princess Card Trick on his Slydini Lecture Tour on February 28, 1978 Vintage Video

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 24th, 2021, 11:44 am

"The Prince's Card Trick" (now known as "The Princess Card Trick") was created by Henry Hardin in the early 20th century. Shortly thereafter Theodore DeLand thought of using double-ended cards for the effect. DeLand's method used spot cards, but Henry Hardin's then put out a method using court cards. The version performed above has only the most minor touch by Leipzig, but is Henry Hardin's version using double-ended cards.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Wisch

Re: Bill Wisch performs The Princess Card Trick on his Slydini Lecture Tour on February 28, 1978 Vintage Video

Postby Kevin Wisch » September 24th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Thank you so much Richard for the wonderful history and background.

To your point, and for further clarification, on page 182 of the Vernon book it states that “ARTHUR FINDLEY, in many conversations with Dai Vernon, always considered that the most subtle point in this trick as Leipzig performed it, was the shortening of the distance between the fan in the left hand and the King under the arm. Because the distance is so short, it takes a fraction of a second only to remove the King from the fan and place it under the arm, and only the same short time to take it from under the arm and replace it in the fan. For this reason, no importance is placed on the card itself – all thoughts being on the fact that the remembered card is missing from the fan.”

That seems to infer to me that Leipzig's addition to the effect was his subtlety on how he took the King out of play, removing it from the attention of the spectator.

Another interesting fact: At his stop in Cincinnati on the Slydini tour, my Dad went to the US Playing Card Co headquarters and asked if they would print out a "special print" for the Princess Cards. They politely declined as they weren't doing special orders for anyone. Kind of ironic how now playing cards are collectibles and printed in hundreds if not thousands of different versions and gaffed cards! As a result, he continued to perfect his hand-made version until his introduction of his "Royal Redo" published by Elmwood Magic in 2009.

Thank you again for adding that wonderful history!

- Kevin

Kevin Wisch

Postby Kevin Wisch » September 25th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Hi all,
A small update- due to a technical error on Youtube's part I had to delete the video. Will be reuploading soon- will let you know when it is re-posted. Thank you and sorry for the technical problem!
- Kevin

Return to “Close-Up Magic”