Insane ACAN method

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jon Pendragon
Favorite Magician: Jonathan Pendragon

Insane ACAN method

Postby Jon Pendragon » May 28th, 2021, 12:38 am

Inspired by the recent article on David Berglas, I have devised the ultimate Any Card Any Number for some wealthy and crazy magician. You make a deck shell and buy 52 Destiny decks, one for every card. Shell goes on table and you ask for a card. Stall as the correct deck is feed to you which you load into the shell. Open pack and remove deck. Now ask for any number.... I know, it's nuts but man would it be clean. The deck is there, ask for a card, remove deck from box, ask for number. So $4,160.00 dollars and a deck shell plus tax and shipping. :D

Brad Henderson

Re: Insane ACAN method

Postby Brad Henderson » May 28th, 2021, 1:15 am

If someone has to pick the deck to feed you, you can eliminate 51 decks.

Deck is in memdeck order.
Card named - removed by secret assistant
Number named - put in proper place (easy as the order in memorized)

I’d use a card box as the shell. Have a gaffed card in bottom of the pack with image of box on one side.

Conveyer.
Lift

Count

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » May 28th, 2021, 10:29 am

Sounds good, price sounds reasonable, but I need to see an honest dem on Youtube before I take further action.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » May 28th, 2021, 11:45 am

That type of general method has been thought of by most magicians pondering solutions for named card effects like ACAAN. It's best used as a fake explanation, see the brilliant Asi Wind appearance on Fool Us.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 28th, 2021, 11:58 am

On a tangential note: In the introduction to RK's Sawa's Library of Magic, Vol. 1, Michael Skinner relates a cool named card effect by Dr. Sawa that has a similar blow off at the end.

(PS: I wish that Vol 1 had some subsequent brothers and sisters to go along with it--Dr. Sawa is a genius!)

Jon Pendragon

Postby Jon Pendragon » May 28th, 2021, 4:35 pm

Denis, Asi is a genius. My complete method isn't fake, it follows a different methodological thought process. I would think that anyone needing an explanation of ACAN would simply assume the use of multiple (2) plants. One could also use a single deck of the Destiny Cards to force the card and then find it wherever, but it eliminates the verbal free choice which is the effects strongest points. Don't confuse pipe dream with potential. I have seen Asi's presentation on Fool Us (I still have the nagging suspicion that the name of the show was chosen so that the initials would be FU) doesn't follow the Berglas narrative exactly. What I suggest is closer to David's storyline and would require no equivocation, although that technique could reduce the D deck requirement to 12 because once established, the follow through would conform perfectly to the first choice.

Onstage is a flat table with no trim. on it sits a deck under a glass dome. Any card is asked for, no equivocation, although it would help reduce the number of decks needed. The dome is removed and placed aside. I approach the table and both hands are clearly empty. I pick up the pack and open the box to remove the cards. I immediately place the pack on the table without running through cards. Now I ask for any number. I step back and ask them to come forward and count down to the number and place the remaining pack on the table. At this point I show the discards as all different. I slide the top card off the remaining pack and ask the spectator to hold it without turning it over. Now I show the rest of the cards as different. Finally, a very fair and strong recap before I ask the spectator to turn over the card. That is as minimal a handling of the cards as I have ever seen for the effect without the use of plants or equivocation.

I have already performed an effect at the Magic Castle that involves the steal and loading of the pact into the shell. It's very clean, which is always my goal, to make it clean, practical and very deceptive. This is doable. Oh hell, since I am comfortable and crazy... I might as well do it.

Grippo's Wish

Postby Grippo's Wish » May 30th, 2021, 2:28 pm

In all honesty, I once DID perform the "perfect" ACAAN: I have a mnemonica deck, I asked for a card and a number, and they actually named the "right" combination of card and number without any force of any kind. It was literally the most perfect ACAAN one could ask for. And yet - I had the LAMEST reaction I ever had for a trick.

They were two women.

Stupid ones I suppose.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » May 30th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Grippo's Wish wrote:I once DID perform the "perfect" ACAAN: I have a mnemonica deck, I asked for a card and a number, and they actually named the "right" combination of card and number without any force of any kind
That's exactly what happened in the close-up competition in my magic club years ago. I was the table host, and the performer grinned at me as he handed the deck to the spectator and asked them to deal to their number.

Got a great reaction. He could have founded a religion, and they'd have worshipped him.

Jon Pendragon

Postby Jon Pendragon » June 1st, 2021, 7:14 pm

I have placed my presentation in parlor setting. That will change the dynamics of the performance, but yes, too perfect can be boring.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”