Tenyo 2017 first impressions

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Tenyo 2017 first impressions

Postby I.M. Magician » October 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Now that I have seen demos for all eight new Tenyo effects, four regular line and four Mentalism line, here are my first impressions.

* WATER CRYSTAL- This one reminds me of a Lubor Fiedler type of an effect. A very interesting way to reveal a selected card or a message of some kind. It's versatile and visually satisfying.
* PERPETUAL PUZZLE- Tenyo's answer to a terrific puzzle effect and nicely done.
* MAGIC MAZE- Perhaps the most interesting of the new releases in some ways. Visually satisfying props.
* PSYCHO GRAVITY- For me, not the most interesting of the new releases. A bit slow and not a strong climax but I still like it to some degree.

The Mentalism line...

* DREAM PSYCHOMETRY- An old +1 now readily available. I always liked this effect.
* HYPER ESP CARDS- I like this one as well and find it to be a strong effect.
* MENTALIST'S VOCABULARY FLASH CARDS- Looks good but not my favorite at this point. That may change later on.
* MIRACLE MAGIC SQUARE- My least favorite of the Mentalism line for me. This one just doesn't excite me but will probably be the favorite for lots of other people.

So there is my take at this early stage. I am interested in hearing about what others think. Please do tell!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tenyo 2017 first impressions

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 15th, 2016, 11:59 pm

Why don't you save your opinions until you actually have the tricks in hand and have performed them for laymen.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 16th, 2016, 8:41 am

A little harsh Richard, don't you think? He is entitled to opinions of what he's seen on the demos.

Especially when most magicians have opinions on things they haven't actually handled yet ;)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 16th, 2016, 3:26 pm

No, I don't think it's harsh any more.

I've seen more ridiculous opinions given about Tenyo items (a subject on which I am well versed for obvious reasons) that have little to do with reality than most other magic tricks (whose video demos are edited into an incoherent fashion).

These opinions are based entirely on watching videos which may or may not be good performances or official performances, of an item that give little indication of how the item actually looks when performed, and what's it's all about, when it's in your hands.

I read so much of this baloney that I know have little patience for it. It's no different than reviewing a book without having read it!

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » October 17th, 2016, 10:16 pm

I can see what Richard is saying. I remember last years previews and I bagged on 'Ghost Camera' pretty hard.

I would later eat my words as that's my favorite trick of the 2016 line.

But then again, it's going to be a bit before we all get our hands on the new Tenyo goodies. And speculation and discussing them can't certainly be a bad thing.

For me, I'm shootin' to get 'Magic Maze' and 'Legendary Puzzle', unless the reviews for them go completely sideways.

And I'm (slowly) coming around to 'Psycho Gravity'. I don't think I'm going to immediately jump on that one. But I think once I start performing for friends and family a lot more, it'd be good to add to my inventory for variety.

Unfortunately, I can't get on board with 'Magic Water Dish'. It looks like you could do some neat Mentalism stuff with it and it does open the doors to all sorts of possibilities. I just can't figure a way to have it work for me...yet

As for the Mentalism line, in definitely excited for 'Dream Psychometry'. I think it's one of the best +1's. Honestly, it's about damn time! I'm getting one for my daughter, for sure.

Also: how big is the Psycho Gravity 'puck'

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 18th, 2016, 12:00 am

The puck for "Psycho Gravity" is about 1.5 inches in diameter. I'm actually having some trouble getting it to stop in the desired spot. I did see the inventor do it in Tokyo last week and it looked fantastic so am encouraged to continue working on it.

"Water Crystal" also has a learning curve because while it looks great (and is an excellent trick for laymen), there's something in there that wants to float upward and I have to figure that out. But I have no doubt it will work because I saw that demonstrated twice as well.

All four Super Mentalism tricks are good, but the clear killer is Kenichi Komiya's version of Harry Lorayne's Instant Magic Square. This is, to use a well-worn phrase, a reputation maker. You'll blast people away with this--they will think you can walk on water afterward.

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » October 18th, 2016, 12:25 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The puck for "Psycho Gravity" is about 1.5 inches in diameter. I'm actually having some trouble getting it to stop in the desired spot. I did see the inventor do it in Tokyo last week and it looked fantastic so am encouraged to continue working on it.

"Water Crystal" also has a learning curve because while it looks great (and is an excellent trick for laymen), there's something in there that wants to float upward and I have to figure that out. But I have no doubt it will work because I saw that demonstrated twice as well.

All four Super Mentalism tricks are good, but the clear killer is Kenichi Komiya's version of Harry Lorayne's Instant Magic Square. This is, to use a well-worn phrase, a reputation maker. You'll blast people away with this--they will think you can walk on water afterward.

Wow. The puck is half an inch bigger than SuperCubio. I had it pegged for 2-3 inches, but that's also pretty neat that it's in a really small package.

I will also take a closer look at Magic Square! Thank you.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » October 19th, 2016, 9:47 am

So I had the opportunity to see what I believe was Tenyo's demos for the 2017 line and was excited to post my "FIRST IMPRESSIONS" here on the Genii Forum. The result was that I got attacked for having opinions.

No, it's certainly not the same as reviewing a book you haven't read. Not in the least. It's more like seeing a movie or TV show and reflecting on what you saw. Perhaps someone can show me something I said which is "baloney".

It was a harmless reflection (first impressions) placed here to hopefully generate some discussion. Apparently, it's against Genii Forum policy. We are not permitted to have an opinion unless we open the trick and show it to layman. Wow!

The interesting thing is that, in due time, my "first impressions" may be well founded and shared among other Tenyo enthusiasts.

If I knew that my post would result in being attacked, I assure you that I would never have posted it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 19th, 2016, 11:55 am

Steve, you did not make clear that you were viewing the official demonstration videos. If so, I apologize if I offended you.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » October 19th, 2016, 12:30 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Steve, you did not make clear that you were viewing the official demonstration videos. If so, I apologize if I offended you.

I certainly accept your apology and really do appreciate you offering it to me.

Not to dwell on this but I don't understand why the videos have to be the official ones. If I reacted negatively to poorly made videos and said that the 2017 line was horrible, I could understand your reaction and my comments would be baloney. But that's not what happened. I reacted positively for the most part and just offered honest thoughts.

How about if I reacted to a Magic Patagonia demo which are always terrific and in many (if not all) cases, even better than the official Tenyo ones? Wouldn't my reaction be valid in that case?

Anyway, I prefer to channel my energies in a positive direction concerning the 2017 Tenyo line. I am excited that they have released two lines totaling eight items. I expect us Tenyo addicts to be like a pig in poop once we have them in our hands!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 19th, 2016, 12:33 pm

And you can read - and see - all about them in the November GENII, (digital edition for viewing).

performer

Postby performer » October 19th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I have sold Tenyo merchandise in the past but always refused to demonstrate them when asked. As a pitchman you haven't got time for such silliness as there just isn't enough profit margin in it. It used to make a great "flash" as a background when I was selling the more traditional pitch items which bring a much larger mark up. However, the stuff was an easy sell as the "flash" was so good. Very colourful indeed and "flash" is very important in the grafting business. If somebody asked what the trick was I would say, "I have no idea but it is very good" which may seem an illogical sentence but I have always done well working to stupid people. If I was in a good mood I would allow them to look at the description on the packaging but I knew it would be fatal to waste time demonstrating it. Besides I had no idea how to do it anyway. I am not a magic shop. And I don't have to be. There have been occasions when I can take more money in one day with the svengali deck than an entire magic shop with all the merchandise they have for sale. Not often but often enough. With a tiny fraction of the space required.

I like the Tenyo stuff and find it good quality. I suppose my only criticism is that much of it is what I call "toyshop magic". Still I have used one of their items in my kid show for my entire career.

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Postby timbrown » October 28th, 2016, 4:02 pm

I just received "Perpetual Puzzle and "Magic Maze" that I purchased from Seo Magic. Although the instructions are in Japanese the pictures in the instructions and the Tenyo online videos are all that you need to figure these out. I really like them both and can't wait to come up with my own presentations. Great job Tenyo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 28th, 2016, 5:13 pm

the rolling hockey luck thing reminds me of lubor's die, an antique spirit dial and the koornwinder car all rolled into one.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2016, 9:26 pm

All the videos of the Tenyo demonstrations in the November digital edition have been fixed.

timbrown

Postby timbrown » November 2nd, 2016, 11:12 am

The English language instructions for Magic Maze and Perpetual Puzzle are now available from Tenyo. These are two really great puzzles and a lot of fun to show to people. Especially Magic Maze - this one is really cool!

timbrown

Postby timbrown » November 3rd, 2016, 1:34 pm

The 4 "mentalism" effects from the Tenyo 2017 line are now available for order/preorder from Seo Magic. I pulled the trigger and ordered them all. I am a student of the magic square and look forward to trying this effect in particular. I think that they will be a lot of fun (based upon the videos from Tenyo that you can view on the Seo Magic website). Plus, they are offered at a nice discount!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 11th, 2016, 1:21 pm

I need to make a correction to my article on the new Tenyo items which appears in the November issue of Genii.

The additions to Harry Lorayne's "Instant Magic Square", called "Miracle Magic Square" by Tenyo, were not added by Kenichi Komiya. The improvements were made by So Sato (the number sheet) and Toru Suzuki (the barcode on the pen).

Return to “Tenyo”