Tenyo Elite Matchsticks situation

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Tenyo Elite Matchsticks situation

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 2:39 pm

I have heard of at least a few people who received defective sets of Tenyo Elite's new release. Anyone buy these? If so, how is your set?

Anyone know what the problems are with these? I am assuming that the sticks themselves do not match (or are not finished) properly.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tenyo Elite Matchsticks situation

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2016, 2:48 pm

There's a thread on the Magic Cafe about it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 2:56 pm

So I suppose it is a matching problem although info is vague. I will bite my tongue concerning their quality control and making light of the problem.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2016, 3:00 pm

I wouldn't make light of it. I'm sure that the Tenyo Elite guys are grinding their teeth about it.

They go through a long process to make sure that their products are of high quality--anyone who can make a "Zig Zag Cig" and "Ultra Tube" out of wood and have them function without falling apart gets my vote.

You can't expect them to inspect every set before shipping (I sure as helll don't flip through every book!). They entrusted their manufacturing of the item to someone and perhaps there's a problem with quality control. I really don't know since I don't have a set.

They'll straighten it out, I'm sure.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 3:09 pm

I have a set coming and now I am thinking of refusing the package.

Your books aren't hand made and come to much more than 800 pages so of course you don't go through them. Besides, books aren't thoroughly examined because they are mass produced. The sticks were said to be hand made so there is no good reason for the problem. Each set should have been carefully examined.

The only way they can straighten it out is to expect every set purchased to be opened and some people buy them to collect and keep sealed.

kevinm

Postby kevinm » June 1st, 2016, 4:02 pm

My set had a defect with one of the dark-colored sticks. The Tenyo Elite team responded to my emails and are sending a replacement set to me. Clearly a Quality Control issue, but not something that would leave a bad taste in my heart.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2016, 4:10 pm

I think you mean, "Leave a bad taste in your mouth."

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2016, 4:11 pm

Don't refuse the package. Just accept it: chances are it's fine. If you do happen to get one of the sets that's not up to snuff, they'll send you a replacement.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 4:16 pm

So you can't buy this if you want to keep them sealed because you will not know what you have. I find that to be an uncomfortable situation.

The guys at Tenyo Elite are lucky to have such understanding customers.

By the way, if they made these using an easy to match substance, this whole mess could have been avoided. I was wondering how they were going to pull this off using wood and now know that they really couldn't. I suspect that there will be many more problems with these before it's over.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2016, 5:04 pm

Stop being such a nitpick and pessimistic. You sound like you have a grudge against Tenyo Elite. Why the heck are you buying it if you're not going to open it? Probably so you can sell it later. :)

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 5:19 pm

Do you not buy extra Tenyos that you are planning to keep sealed? You once said that your magic number is 3. Is there something wrong with that? Of course not! Am I doing anything wrong? Of course not! Plenty of collectors buy items they don't want to open for a variety of reasons and those people should be respected.

I have absolutely no grudge against Tenyo Elite! I will say that I don't feel that they have always made the best decisions in many cases but I have no grudge against them. On the other hand, you seem to have a need to protect them. Why would that be?

Wow, our first argument! :lol:

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2016, 6:18 pm

No, I don't buy extra Tenyo tricks to keep sealed. In fact, I got rid of all the sealed tricks I had purchased for the photography in the book. All I have are open T-number tricks now with no packaging. Saves on space, too! :D

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » June 1st, 2016, 7:24 pm

I am not sure I have the same "defect" people are concerned about but 2 of my dark sticks are lighter than the other 2.

I have not checked if the numbers are ok or not. I will do so later.

What appears to be the issue? I don't want to sit on a $200 item to find out later that I should have asked for a replacement for some defect.

Thanks

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 7:29 pm

The different shades IS the problem. Each set of four sticks MUST be identical.

I have a used set of the original Tenyo issue but can't use them because one of the blue sticks has a scratch. That deems them worthless.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 8:03 pm

So you hire someone to make sets of Tenyo Matchsticks out of wood. What are the three MOST IMPORTANT things you are going to tell that person? One, the numbers must be in the correct locations and line up exactly. Two, all of the sticks must be cut exactly the same so you can't tell one from the other. Three, the shade of the wood in each set MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME. That's it! As simple as that!

Not very complicated! They can make an Ultratube and Zig Zag Cig correctly but not this one? This one is as easy as pie compared to the other two, especially the Zig Zag Cig. My my...

I don't think these are isolated incidences. I fear that they didn't give the maker comprehensive instructions or did and didn't follow up during the effort. For $200 a set, they should have watched him like a hawk!

kevinm

Postby kevinm » June 1st, 2016, 9:16 pm

Shading is not the issue. The issue is an upside down number and a number incorrectly positioned. IMO, not worth the price, but it is a very good trick.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 9:22 pm

Huh? You mean those two mistakes are also present? So far, we have those and others with non matching sticks.

It looks like Tenyo Elite needs to hire someone to assure quality control and I am the perfect person for that job!

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » June 1st, 2016, 9:29 pm

Looking at my sticks... What about wood grain. Some have a predominat grain others not. On one gimmick, the number 1 has nice wood but the other number 1 has a dark line through that side of the wood....

Are you saying that I should have 4 exact shaded sticks with similar grain for the trick to be deceptive?

As I have the plastic ones that are perfect, definitely having buyers remorse on this item.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 1st, 2016, 9:35 pm

Yes, that is what I am saying. Each of the four sticks in each set should be exactly the same. A difference in grain is a problem. If the spectator notices that a grain has appeared on the one all of a sudden, that's a problem.

It's interesting that in their performance video, the sticks are the way they should be. At least, that is how I remember it. I will watch it again.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 8th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Jason Palter has made a statement on the green site concerning the Matchsticks problem.

Would someone please read it and respond here? My my...

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 8th, 2016, 9:07 pm

So I will. He doesn't seem to understand that using wood IS the problem and should not have been used. He doesn't seem to get it.

Instead, they should have made them using the same metal substance they used to make their Psychic Sticks. Each stick would have been identical and the numbers etched into the sticks would have been attractive.

I am really surprised by their response. If they knew that wood would not match, why did they go with wood? They had other options. It's like they did not understand what the finished product's requirements were. They needed to study the original more carefully and then brainstorm what would best replicate those but in a deluxe fashion.

Then, we are hearing about other problems like improper number alignment and upside down numbers. :roll:

Anyway, I hope that their next release is more carefully thought out. It appears that they need a consultant and I am available and quite suitable for the job!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2016, 9:59 pm

You'll probably be the last one they hire!

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 8th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Thanks a lot! :cry:

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 8th, 2016, 11:04 pm

To tell you the truth, I had no intention of saying anything else about the product until I felt disappointed by the response.

I am sure that things will improve in the future and they certainly have released some terrific product in the past.

My venting is the result of frustration? No harm intended really.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 9th, 2016, 7:46 am

these products will always be flawed because they are built upon flawed thinking. They are trying to take tricks that have been thoughtfully and ingeniously deaigned for a specific market with specific needs and modify them to fit hobbyist magician values - Specifically those of hobbyist magicians who think they know what works in the real world for real people.

changing the material the trick is made out of is a silly cosmetic change that improves nothing - and as we have seen, these changes end up producing negative consequences.

if you can't figure out how to make a plastic trick play for laymen, you aren't going to be able to make the same trick in wood play for Laymen. the problem isn't the material - it's the "performer's" lack of understanding and performance skills.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » June 9th, 2016, 8:10 am

Tenyo Elite's Moonspinner was a great improvement over the original. Tenyo's version has become difficult to obtain so they provided us with the opportunity to acquire it. Theirs looks much better, works much better, and is a vast improvement over the original. They took what looked like a cheap plastic trick and created a professional version. Perhaps their best release to date.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think Tenyo Elite was created to make better working versions although that could be a bonus. It appears that their goal was to improve on the materials by not using plastic giving the prop a more professional appearance.

It's a miracle to me that they could create a Zig Zag Cig made out of wood.

They stated that their Psychic Sticks would hold up better than the plastic model so that was their intention in making those.

Creating a company like Tenyo Elite doesn't hurt anyone. It just provides magicians with some interesting props.

Return to “Tenyo”