You bastards!

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Pete McCabe

You bastards!

Postby Pete McCabe » March 14th, 2014, 11:02 am

Just four years ago I did not own any Tenyo tricks. None! And I was happy.

Then I acquired a Tenyo trick. It was given to me, really. It was the one with blocks that have a skeleton body on them. I don’t know what it’s called. I just looked it up and it’s called Bare Bones but when I got it I didn’t even know that. I don’t even know if or how it works or if it has all the pieces. I put it in my magic drawer and there it stays.

And still I was happy.

Then a few months ago I was given an Anti-Gravity Rock. The basic idea is really cool, the illusion is amazingly strong, but to make a trick out of it there are a lot of compromises that would keep me from ever doing it. So it went on my shelf, next to the Bare Bones. At least I tried this one out, just to fool myself.

Still happy.

Sometime within the last two weeks I went through one of the Tenyo threads here and started reading up on the different Tenyo tricks. I thought I might enjoy setting myself the challenge of buying a Tenyo trick and developing a presentation for it. I found a website where a guy was selling a number of old ones, for what seem like very reasonable prices. At some point, insidiously, something changed. Now it wasn’t should I consider buying one, it was: Which one should I get?

I picked Ultraslice and bought it. I have a couple of ideas for presentation that I think will be fun. Then, before Ultraslice even arrived at my house, I read through the Koornwinder Kar thread, and before I knew it I had ordered the Tenyo version. From Amazon. (Amazon!)

I’m not saying I’m unhappy now, but… my Ultraslice hasn’t arrived yet. My Koornwinder Kar hasn’t arrived yet. So I can’t be completely happy. How could I, without these things? And there are so many more that I don’t own, and probably could never afford. Balloon Illusion looks like a great trick for my classroom. It’s only $30. And how the hell does Geometrick work? Seriously. Have you seen the video? How the hell does that work? Can I really die without knowing?

This is how it starts, right? How long can it be before I know the T-numbers of the four (Four!) Tenyo tricks I now own? How long before I own five?

And I blame you. All you Tenyo fanatics on the Genii Forum. You’ve infected me with whatever it is that makes you all crazy. You bastards!

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: You bastards!

Postby Ted M » March 14th, 2014, 11:27 am

The only Tenyo trick I own is T-242, China Surprise.

I'm in no danger of being infected!
Last edited by Ted M on March 14th, 2014, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » March 14th, 2014, 11:34 am

Ted:

There is only one direction to go after acquiring Tenyo Chine Surprise and that is up. Most of us Tenyo addicts would agree that the one you have is not very exciting. You certainly can't judge Tenyo by China Surprise. Perhaps Tenyo should have released that one as a sold in Japan release only.

I will say that it did earn me a couple of Egg Rolls at my local Chinese Restaurant a while back when I performed it for my waiter and the owner of the establishment.
Last edited by I.M. Magician on March 14th, 2014, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » March 14th, 2014, 11:49 am

Pete, be careful. I was like you about 2 years ago and have since spent $10,000 on Tenyo. My credit line still hurts...

What ever you do, do stay away from Stereo's blog...

John Signa

Postby John Signa » March 14th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Once infected, Tenyoitis never goes away.

I thought it started for me back in the late 90's when I was traveling to Tokyo couple times a year. Each trip I would pick up a couple tricks.

Then I decided to cure myself of the silly "toys" and sold them off at club flea market for few bucks each.

During a trip to Tokyo last October I got to see the latest tricks just weeks after release. Then got to have dinner with Richard and some former Tenyo employees. The infection reemerged, stronger than ever. I came home with about a dozen different tricks.

Almost 6 months later, the infection is full blown. With an inflamed collection and frequent checks to Ebay and Stereo's blog.

However, last night I found out the infection was started long before... back in 1973 with a trick that my grandmother bought for me at the Marshall Fields magic counter and that I've kept since then and have used in hundreds of performances, not knowing it was a Tenyo product.

So for me, there never was any real hope.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2014, 1:54 pm

It was ... destiny.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Doomo

Postby Doomo » March 14th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I used to do a lot of drugs and knew a lot of sketchy people who could not be trusted in a deal. I spent a lot of money... Wow... Tenyo sounds so much like old home week!
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 15th, 2014, 2:02 am

My Ultraslice arrived today, on time and as advertised. It's very cool. Still don't know the T-number.

It seems that it needs to get "broken in" to operate smoothly. Any advice for the best way to do this?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 15th, 2014, 11:52 am

It doesn't need to get broken in. Get some silicone spray and give it a small spritz. Then no problem.

Ross Welford

Postby Ross Welford » March 19th, 2014, 12:33 pm

I wonder if that ^ would work with my Tenyo Korrnwinder Kar? I have had it for years, but I have never performed it because the mechanism is just too stiff. There's an audible click when I switch it. Never been happy with it :(

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » March 19th, 2014, 1:33 pm

For those in the know, is there a large percentage of Tenyo that have noise issues (clunking, sliding, etc. noises)?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 19th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Not a large percentage. About 6 items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 19th, 2014, 2:19 pm

the sound of secrecy - clunk!

(a line stolen from a former student, quipped while playing with a mental epic board)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 19th, 2014, 3:46 pm

One of the items that is often thought to have a noise issue is "Crystal Pyramid," but it does NOT if you perform it as outlined in the instructions.

edshern

Postby edshern » May 3rd, 2014, 10:49 am

Hi Pete,
I have about 200 Tenyo, and started just like you. For the most part I have completed my collection. What I'm missing is either very rare, I would never ever use, simply don't want, or very expensive (for now).

As for Stereo's blog. If it returns check it out. Probably the single best source of Tenyo information on the planet.

As for Mazza's site, there aren't many folks there, but the ones who are, are knowledgeable. As for the moderator I will simply say that to stay in good standing you will need to stay in his good graces.

As for RK, probably worlds foremost Tenyo expert . Writing a book on Tenyo as we speak, coming soon to a bookstore near you (well his website anyway.) if there are any copies left available.

Good luck with the hobby. It's unbelievable how many great tricks Tenyo has issued. If we can help, please ask.

Ed

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 6th, 2014, 12:52 pm

The magic market is what it is, still.

Folks who desire better will have to do better on their own.

I'm puzzled about the magic community treating consumer market toys as if they were pages from the Harbin book or details of the Hooker Card Act set construction. Why the fuss over the Tenyo trick methods on magic boards? Also, what process did Tenyo set up to adopt/adapt their mechanical items into less plastic/toy like constructions?
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on May 6th, 2014, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

AJM

Postby AJM » May 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Well I'm still looking for a Tenyo Parabox if that helps us get back on track.

Cheers

Andrew

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 6th, 2014, 5:16 pm

I'm willing to sell a geometrick

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 6th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Geometrick and Parabox are both work between $100 and $150 new in the package.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 6th, 2014, 5:27 pm

I have lots of wonderful Tenyo releases I am willing to trade or sell although not the rare or high value numbers but plenty of good ones.

Please feel free to let me know what you are looking for and what you have to trade.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 6th, 2014, 7:20 pm

This person is selling some excellent and hard to find items in very good condition on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/airigami/m.html ... 7675.l2562

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 6th, 2014, 8:25 pm

And here's something you should definitely AVOID:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Walking-C ... 461f84228f

"Space Walking Coins" that has been painted black! Worth nothing! I wouldn't pay $15 for it.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » May 6th, 2014, 10:36 pm

I cringed first time I saw it posted followed by a "Whaaaa?" When it "sold" for $165. Looks like the first buyer came to his senses.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 2nd, 2019, 12:04 am

How many Geometrick sets would one need to make it so you can show the circle or triangle hole card?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Postby performer » July 2nd, 2019, 3:18 am

I used to sell Tenyo tricks. I would have quite a large range but never demonstrate them since the profit margin wasn't high enough. I would demonstrate my regular pitch items such as the svengali deck, the worm, the mouse, plastic cups and balls, Dutch Looper etc; since these were high profit margins but not the Tenyo stuff. It was very useful for what we call "flash" in the business since it was very colourful and would help draw people over in the first place. I would sell quite a bit of it but never demonstrate it. If someone asked about the item I would say "It is a terrific trick but I have no idea what it does" which would get a laugh. It would have to sell on the packaging alone.

I regard it as "Toyshop Magic" and don't use any of it except for one item which I have used for decades in my kid show. It is called "What's Next" although I am not sure if Tenyo sell it any more since the ones I use now seem to be a little inferior in quality so it may be a knock off----I have no idea.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2019, 11:03 am

Tenyo did not invent "What's Next."
They stopped selling it years ago.

performer

Postby performer » July 2nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

Then I am using a knock off. Not as good as the original Tenyo product but good enough. I have no idea who produced it.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » July 2nd, 2019, 1:54 pm

performer wrote:Then I am using a knock off. Not as good as the original Tenyo product but good enough. I have no idea who produced it.

What...a knock off? Tell them to knock it off... :D

performer

Postby performer » July 2nd, 2019, 2:38 pm

Oh, it's none of my business. I have my own troubles. And maybe they had permission whoever they may be.

Russ
Favorite Magician: Those that know the art well

Postby Russ » July 2nd, 2019, 5:35 pm

I have a ' What's Next ' from the 70's still in its folded package. Still solid and works like a dream. It does say at the bottom : tenyo Co., ltd. So glad I still have it. I was a teenager and remember thinking that 15 dollars was a lot for this. Wow!
Russ Polizzi

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 2nd, 2019, 6:00 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Tenyo did not invent "What's Next."
They stopped selling it years ago.

Ireland was selling it as "The Changing Spot Card" in 1938.

The principle involved goes back to More Magic and Hoffmann, if not earlier.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2019, 7:55 pm

But I think we're looking for a version using magnetic spots and a metal card, not buttons on strings.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 2nd, 2019, 8:20 pm

Russ wrote:I have a ' What's Next ' from the 70's still in its folded package. Still solid and works like a dream. It does say at the bottom : tenyo Co., ltd. So glad I still have it. I was a teenager and remember thinking that 15 dollars was a lot for this. Wow!

If I'm not mistaken, "What's Next?" is David Copperfield's go to trick when he has to cover for unexpected dead time in his show.

Norm Nielsen makes a superior version, correct?

Russ
Favorite Magician: Those that know the art well

Postby Russ » July 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm

I have the metal card with magnetic spots. None are even frayed after all these years. I am unaware of other versions. I think I got this from either Gene Gordon's house of magic in Buffalo or in Canada on Clifton hill at the Houdini museum in 1978 or 1979. I know it was one of those for sure but I was 15 years old. I am 55 now. It's beautiful.
Russ Polizzi

Return to “Tenyo”