2013 Tenyo Price Guide

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Tom Leyland
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

2013 Tenyo Price Guide

Postby Tom Leyland » January 2nd, 2014, 8:53 am

All,

I'm a bit backed up at the moment, but I should have the Tenyo price guide out by February. This should bode well for those looking to GUIDE them as to what a given Tenyo's value is.

Remember, something is actually only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

This will serve as only a guide. I will post more around guide usage and other formalities closer to the time the guide is ready.

Happy New Year!

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Re: 2013 Tenyo Price Guide

Postby I.M. Magician » January 2nd, 2014, 9:35 am

Hi Tom:

Happy New Year to you as well! I am looking forward to the Price Guide.

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Try some roughage. :lol:

Steve

Tom Leyland

Postby Tom Leyland » January 2nd, 2014, 1:35 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:Hi Tom:

Happy New Year to you as well! I am looking forward to the Price Guide.

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Try some roughage. :lol:

Steve

Good one! LOL

Botond Kelle

Postby Botond Kelle » January 29th, 2014, 3:52 am

Hi Tom,

I'm also very much looking forward to the price guide!

Will it include different prices for the same items (depending on their condition, packaging, etc)?

Botond

baabaablacksheep

Postby baabaablacksheep » January 29th, 2014, 9:54 am

I am looking forward to the Tenyo price guide as well.

Only a couple of days until February, hopefully we will not have to wait too much longer.

Tom Leyland

Postby Tom Leyland » February 4th, 2014, 11:53 pm

Guys,

Bad news, I'm going to have to delay the guide a bit. My work schedule has been brutal of late and I haven't had the chance to complete it.

I will however update this thread whenever I release it.

-Tom

baabaablacksheep

Postby baabaablacksheep » July 20th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Are you still planning to share your Tenyo Pricing Guide with us?

Tom Leyland

Postby Tom Leyland » September 6th, 2014, 12:18 am

baabaablacksheep wrote:Are you still planning to share your Tenyo Pricing Guide with us?

Baba,

Sorry for the latency in responding.

I have decided to cease compiling my pricing data (I have no time). I have historical data that I can share or I can pass along my excel spreadsheet to a willing participant to carry-on where I left off.

If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Best,

-Tom

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » September 6th, 2014, 1:36 pm

I would be more than happy to carry-on where Tom left off but I don't feel that Tenyo selling prices are predictable for the more collectible releases.

There are lots of still available Tenyo tricks with a typical selling price and many which have been discontinued by Tenyo which also have a fairly predictable price. Many others simply do not have one. Their prices over the past year or so have been all over the place.

When the Tenyo books come out, that should effect the selling prices but In just what way I do not know.

Price guides are usually much more feasible for more stable selling markets of items whether they be coins, stamps, or whatever.

What I would be willing to do is to make a Tenyo price guide which would list only those releases which I feel have a predictable or more stable value at this time. Would anyone want to see that?

Tom Leyland

Postby Tom Leyland » September 7th, 2014, 12:06 am

I.M. Magician wrote:I would be more than happy to carry-on where Tom left off but I don't feel that Tenyo selling prices are predictable for the more collectible releases.

There are lots of still available Tenyo tricks with a typical selling price and many which have been discontinued by Tenyo which also have a fairly predictable price. Many others simply do not have one. Their prices over the past year or so have been all over the place.

When the Tenyo books come out, that should effect the selling prices but In just what way I do not know.

Price guides are usually much more feasible for more stable selling markets of items whether they be coins, stamps, or whatever.

What I would be willing to do is to make a Tenyo price guide which would list only those releases which I feel have a predictable or more stable value at this time. Would anyone want to see that?

I don't completely agree.

Determining valuation is very different than determining what something is worth. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, period. For example, you might see a Tenyo item that has an expected valuation of $15-$25 on the eBay market place. While the item might be relatively common, perhaps you haven't seen it for a while and get caught up in a bidding war and pay $50 for it. It's market value isn't $50, but it might have been worth $50 to you.

Richard will commonly have items for sale that I know aren't worth what he's asking, but they might be rare, and waiting for them to come up on eBay is not something I'm willing to do. Tenyo magic is surprisingly seductive for being plastic toys! The books are only going to increase this effect exponentially.

What I will say from my years of tracking Tenyo eBay closings is that newer Tenyo items are typically less volatile in the market place since there are so many more to be had. Which is what I think you're saying as well. If there are 50 sellers with the same trick selling within $10-15 dollars of each other, well you won't see much closing fluctuations (most are BINs). Also, many more 'collectible' Tenyo pieces are auctioned off versus sold a BIN.

Price guides strive to be objective. There are many monthly price guides which capture market fluctuations over time (say a year). Whomever I pass the torch to would need to capture all T-Series Tenyo using a minimum of 10-12 price point (eBay or other auction site closings) samples per year for the data to have some meaning.

Without a sufficient number of samples, any data captured is useless. For items that come up so rarely (English Astro Coin, etc), you can really only cite what one has sold for but this doesn't give you a reasonable expectation of what to pay.

-Tom

Return to “Tenyo”