Recreating old Tenyo?

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Kidshrink
Favorite Magician: Mac King

Recreating old Tenyo?

Postby Kidshrink » March 15th, 2013, 7:58 pm

This may be a silly question but I was wondering why someone (or Tenyo) doesn't go and recreate some of the items that are sol popular. I know that I happened to run into one of the Tenyo Elite guys at a magic shop and he said that he was surprised with how good Tenyou was to work with. I'm not suggesting that someone has to make tricks in high quality products but I was wondering why they couldn't make some of their better tricks again. I'm also wondering why a trick like China Surprise wasn't 'retired' already.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Recreating old Tenyo?

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 15th, 2013, 8:44 pm

There are all kinds of factors that go into which products to keep producing and which to discontinue.

Tenyo understands what is going to sell, and in what numbers, and to whom.

You probably understand less about their business than they do.

As far as "China Surprise," you have no idea whether they're still selling the stock from the first run, or whether it's very popular among laymen in Asian countries (their main customer base) and so they've made more for them.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Leyland
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Tom Leyland » March 15th, 2013, 9:12 pm

I hear China surprise is popular in Asia even though most of us stateside think it's absolutely terrible.

edshern

Postby edshern » March 15th, 2013, 9:50 pm

I'm surprised too, that companies with long product line histories don't reissue their best hits. Like artists do with their greatest Hits albums. It does seem like a reasonable business strategy. Why not capitalize on prior successes.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 15th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Why not capitalize on prior success? Because it might not yield a current success. Unless you're a businessman from Japan with an intimate knowledge for the worldwide sales of Tenyo products and familiar with the cost of making quality plastic-molded items, you really don't have the facts necessary.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Tenyo”