Top 5 Tenyo Tricks.

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

AJM

Re: Top 5 Tenyo Tricks.

Postby AJM » February 21st, 2023, 1:09 pm

I must also revisit this item.

I think I have the Disney version.

Andrew

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » February 21st, 2023, 2:46 pm

Interesting fact:

The instructions were written by Alan Parsons. Yes, that Alan Parsons of The Alan Parsons Project! The 1977 album “I ROBOT” comes to mind.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » February 21st, 2023, 8:38 pm

1) I used to sell Flash Dice at the shop in the early '90s. The one tip I can offer is that you can get adept at spotting the next needed die and number AS you're talking and putting each die in the tray. This includes using your knowledge that two opposite sides equal 7. The benefit: There will never be any hesitation in picking up the next needed die. It looks very fluid and exceedingly fair.

2) Woody Landers taught me an excellent routine back in the '80s combining Flash Dice and the SS Adams die prediction "Crazy Cube". It doubled sales since we could sell two products per routine. Effect: The spectator puts the die in the small canister, remembering the face up number, free choice of course. The magish points out that nothing can be seen through the bottom and/or top of the canister(s). The dice are placed "randomly" in the tray and the tray is given a shake. All the dice now match the value of the hidden die in the canister.

3) One throw-off for the repetitious 1 or 2 shakes of the tray is to shake it 5 (or more?!) times, rotating the dice 450 degrees (or more). Again, it's disarmingly casual in giving the appearance of jumbling the dice.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 21st, 2023, 9:26 pm

Steve Hook wrote:1) I used to sell Flash Dice at the shop in the early '90s. The one tip I can offer is that you can get adept at spotting the next needed die and number AS you're talking and putting each die in the tray. This includes using your knowledge that two opposite sides equal 7. The benefit: There will never be any hesitation in picking up the next needed die. It looks very fluid and exceedingly fair...

That is a superb tip. The magicality (is that a word?) of the routine greatly depends on building the conviction that the dice are being placed in the box haphazardly and completely at random. Therefore, it is vital to avoid any appearance of calculation. Otherwise they will think (and correctly so) that you have pre-arranged the dice in order to produce the desired result.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 22nd, 2023, 8:30 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:[quote...The magicality (is that a word?) of the routine greatly depends on building the conviction that the dice are being placed in the box haphazardly and completely at random...

Well, painstaking research reveals that "magicality" is an ancient and revered word, of longstanding usage in the English language...
...that I just made up yesterday. (Although, as it turns out, there is an illustrious race horse by the name of "Magicality").

What I did find out is that there IS actually a word called "magicalness." Who would've thunk it? Magicalness is defined as "The condition or quality of being magical."

https://www.yourdictionary.com/magicalness
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magicalness

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 8th, 2023, 2:12 pm

Has anyone else had trouble with the Tenyo English instructions site? I keep trying to get into it and have checked (and double checked) the URL and still can't get the server to connect.

Thanks!

PS: If you do decide to get Mr. Danger, I recommend not looking at the Japanese instructions at first. Just do the trick and you will fool yourself!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 8th, 2023, 4:19 pm

Are you certain the site is not working? Or is it just not working for Mr. Danger.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 8th, 2023, 10:21 pm

Thx, RK: couldn't connect to the server period this afternoon, but now back up again.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » May 10th, 2023, 3:13 am

My favourites, that I remember as a teenager, probably have to be:

1. Diminishing Cards - okay, perhaps not the greatest modus operandi ever created - but it accomplished the effect; and peaked my interest enough to save my pennies up to buy the Nemo version from Ken Brooke.

2. Occult Board - probably my initial introduction into Mentalism. I still remember the weird type of white pencil, that you sharpened(?) by removing a small length of string, wrapped around the lead.

3. Sandwich Platter - I was pleased with myself as I thought of a much better handling for, what I seem to remember, was a clean-up for the 4th (or was it the 3rd?) card. When I was a youthful (still at school) weekend demmer in a Joke/Magic Shop, despite my best efforts, I couldn't flog this trick to the public - probably just as well! The Wandering Hole suffered the same fate.

A couple of years later, finding Alan Alan' Magic Spot, I remember him performing very good dems of Squeeze Play, Phantom Block and Eclipse - so Tenyo could indeed be sold to a person, with an interest, walking in off the street.

4. Colour Changing Flower - Red to white (or was it white to red?). I remember getting admonished by Bob Bernard in Hamleys Magic Dept. once, being asked quite sternly - "what are you messing around with rubbish like that for Barry"? I thought it was a lovely quick, visual, attention getter! :(

5. Zig-Zag Cigarette - by the time that this was released, I was working....and old enough to be boozing. It was a very good bar trick - initialling the cig seemed to seal the deal. Of course , that's long before a pencil version appeared in every starter magic kit for kids.

Have to put a mention in for 'See-thru Card'. That would sit at Number 6 - although I remember I'd force, was it the 5D(?) rather than use three cards supplied - which looked like nothing on this earth.

Flash Dice and Dynamic Coins were included within the first 20 items of the Paul Daniels Magic range, released by Dubreq. The Flash Dice did not include the outer sleeve, although I seem to remember that both sets of instructions actually credited Tenyo for supplying the props. As a kid demmer, Dynamic Coins (along with packs of Svens, Spot Paddles, Cig Pull, 3 card trick and Cups/Balls) would more or less sell themselves to foreign tourists.

As an aside, I've noticed that the quality of Tenyo's Dynamic Coins were always a much higher quality than those offered elsewhere - even, in later years, brands such as Marvins. I wonder if Tenyo flogged their 'seconds' to other suppliers?

I think I've still got my old 1970's (5p) Tenyo Dynamic Coin 'demmer' somewhere - it's machining is perfect. I must hunt it down and have a play - well that's given me something to do today! I know it's in a small box along with Gem Busters and Slip Off Spots - another two items (albeit obviously not Tenyo) that I've wanted to play with for ages in order to remember my 'Yooof'.

Moving on.....

I haven't bought anything Tenyo for years, although their version of the Scotty York Lamp Trick and the Koornwinder Kar (both released by Ken Brooke) certainly tempted me a few years ago.

I've personally never been a 'Magic Snob' and considered Tenyo as toys. No doubt like many others, we cut our teeth on this stuff as beginners - and Tenyo taught us some important, useful principles. For this point alone, I believe that they've earned our due respect!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 10th, 2023, 1:42 pm

The Tenyo company would never sell seconds. The idea is preposterous and insulting. If you see other companies selling "Dynamic Coins" it's because they've copied it and made it themselves.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » May 10th, 2023, 4:03 pm

Wow - talk about overreact.

I didn't intend to insult anyone.

It was a genuine question, firstly because:

a) I honestly didn't know

b) clearly Tenyo did supply other companies - such as Dubreq in the late 70's.

Anyway, if I was you, I'd ask for my money back from the charm school.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » May 10th, 2023, 9:24 pm

BarryAllen wrote:Wow - talk about overreact.

I didn't intend to insult anyone.

It was a genuine question, firstly because:

a) I honestly didn't know

b) clearly Tenyo did supply other companies - such as Dubreq in the late 70's.

Anyway, if I was you, I'd ask for my money back from the charm school.

I don't think Richard went to Charm School. At least I never saw him when I was there.............................

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 10th, 2023, 10:57 pm

I actually used to see Dynamic Coins sold on British Street markets at one time. It used to irritate me because of the exposure element because it was sold all over the place by non magician vendors. It did sell very well. I don't think they were rip offs since I vaguely remember Tenyo packaging although of course I could be wrong since it was several decades ago.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 10th, 2023, 11:22 pm

The packaging would have been a blister pack type on a cardboard backing. Similar to how they originally packaged SUPER COIN IN NEST T-73.

There have been quite a few different makers of DYNAMIC COINS including Marvin’s Magic, DP Group and others, some of which were made in China and India. I know at least one version used a different name for the trick.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 11th, 2023, 12:21 am

I used to sell Tenyo magic occasionally along with my svengali pitch business. I never used to demonstrate the stuff because the profit margin wasn't big enough. I would just put it on display and let the ---what we in the business call "flash" sell it. In other words the colourful packaging. If someone asked what it was I would feign ignorance and manage to sell it anyway without having to waste time demonstrating it. The phrase in the business is "Flash is cash"

Incidentally, I have just sold the translation rights to my svengali deck book to South Korea.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » May 11th, 2023, 2:52 am

Tarotist wrote:the exposure element because it was sold all over the place by non magician vendors
It's a lovely effect. And if a non-magician friend says that they'd like to buy a magic trick, it's the one that I recommend.

However, because it's sold in many non-magic shops, many laymen know the method. Sad.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 11th, 2023, 8:45 am

I have not seen it all over the place in Canada (I suspect the US too) the way I saw it in the UK. For some reason it was widespread in Britain. I hope that phase has died out by now.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2023, 1:55 pm

The only charm school I went to is the one where they make Lucky Charms cereal.

Long before "Dynamic Coins" existed, Walter Gibson's "Nickles to Dimes" was being sold as part of slum magic lines. Danny Tsukalis at Macy's used to demo it all the time, and he had a fabulous routine which I have unfortunately forgotten.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 11th, 2023, 2:26 pm

Oddly enough I am quite fussy about which pitch items I sell. The magician in me doesn't like to sell things like thumb tips, nickels to dimes, multiplying rabbit sponges and so forth. I won't even sell the two card monte as some American pitchmen do because it gives away the principle of double backs and double faces. I still remember being aghast when Al Goshman tried to persuade me to sell the sponge ball trick to the public especially since it was such a strong item in his own act. He seemed surprised that I refused to pitch such a trick to the public.

I always stick to traditional pitch items such as the svengali deck, the mouse or worm, and the Dutch Looper. Oh, and the tiny cups and balls! This latter item somehow doesn't connect with the regular cups and balls because of the size of the cups and of course there are no large loads. I think every magic kit since the beginning of time has this trick inside.

Believe it or not I still remember the Zombie ball being pitched in Selfridges by the late Eric Ward. He sold tons of them but of course all the magicians in London were horrified and wanted to lynch him. He used to say "Don't let it fly out of the bag and go down Oxford Street". There was also a period where someone (not a magician) brought out a toy which was really the dancing cane---the only difference being that the thread was not supposed to be invisible. Thousands upon thousands were sold and it was quite a craze at the time. It made the dancing cane impossible to perform on stage for a while. Fortunately the craze only lasted one Christmas season and died out suddenly when Christmas was over. The guy who came up with the idea make a huge amount of money!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 11th, 2023, 3:19 pm

Richard, folks, do you remember an item Eddie Gibson used to make where a pile of coins vanished from between two brass caps? I believe it was originally a Fred Lowe item. ??
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 11th, 2023, 3:38 pm

No, I don't.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » May 11th, 2023, 4:49 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Richard, folks, do you remember an item Eddie Gibson used to make where a pile of coins vanished from between two brass caps? I believe it was originally a Fred Lowe item. ??

This one?

https://airshipmagic.com/store/en/home/ ... ivate.html

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » May 12th, 2023, 11:40 am

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » May 12th, 2023, 4:00 pm

Some may suggest that CONFINED CUBES belongs in the top 5 list and I would not disagree. A truly well designed and executed method involved in that one. Typical of the kind of method/design that Tenyo lovers enjoy so much.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 12th, 2023, 7:51 pm

"Confined Cubes" is a sleeper.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 12th, 2023, 10:44 pm

@Joe, Leo, yes thanks. I remember Tony Spina demonstrating the vanish from the cylinder using two brass caps.
The Tenyo dynamic coins item greatly expands the routine using those gaffs. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dave Le Fevre

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 14th, 2023, 5:22 am

Having read so many favourable comments on Flash Dice, I purchased it a while ago.

There's a move by Yuji Wada to turn over a single die mentioned in Tenyoism that I cannot do. The text says that it will require practice but it can be done consistently. Not only can I not do it consistently, I haven't managed to do it even once.

Is there a clip of it being executed? I'm expecting the answer "no", but I just thought I'd ask.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2023, 12:09 pm

Yuji could do it with no problem. I believe there is a clip on one of the DVDs that comes with the books.

Dave Le Fevre

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 14th, 2023, 1:56 pm

Thank you, Richard

I'll check those DVDs

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2023, 3:08 pm

I might add that I found it impossible to do consistently, but could do it often enough to describe it.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 15th, 2023, 7:58 am

Dave Le Fevre wrote:Having read so many favourable comments on Flash Dice, I purchased it a while ago.

Dave, Now that you have Flash Dice, do you like it? Have you gotten the little knack for shaking the box? Do you do the prediction sequence? (I have found that to be quite strong). Have you performed the trick for anyone yet?

I've had it for several years, and it plays quite well, despite the magic "propiness" aspect. But one of the most challenging things for me with it has been coming up with patter that I'm happy with. My current plot is that they are "Trained Dice" with some amusing lines (e.g. my use of a whip and a chair.). But I'm keeping an open mind for other angles (but not so open that my brains fall out, as Harry Anderson was fond of saying. Whoops, too late!)

Dave Le Fevre

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 15th, 2023, 8:33 am

Yes, I really like it. I can perform the standard move reliably.

The two effects that appeal to me the most are The Obedient Dice and Dice Paradise. Especially so if one or five is chosen in Dice Paradise, because I will "therefore" shake the box one or five times.

Being a mathematical person, Flash Dice Prediction doesn't appeal to me. It seems too obvious to me, and so many people know about opposite faces summing to seven. But I may try it on a lay audience. And of course it has scope for a humorous Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy presentation.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 15th, 2023, 11:57 am

There is no need to shake the box. Please look at Mr. Shimizu's method in Tenyoism.

Dave Le Fevre

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 15th, 2023, 1:08 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:There is no need to shake the box. Please look at Mr. Shimizu's method in Tenyoism.
Thanks Richard.

I'd read that, I've played around with it, and I'm still deciding which handling I prefer.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 15th, 2023, 1:45 pm

Dave Le Fevre wrote:Being a mathematical person, Flash Dice Prediction doesn't appeal to me. It seems too obvious to me, and so many people know about opposite faces summing to seven. But I may try it on a lay audience. And of course it has scope for a humorous Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy presentation.

Dave, I would encourage you to look at it from the perspective of a layman, as opposed to a mathematical person and what seems obvious to you. They can put the dice in the box any way they want, then in addition to that, you shake the dice, not once, but twice. The vast majority of spectators, even if they know that opposite sides add up to 7, are not going to think, "Hmm, let's see, my total was 24 and it came out 18 after he shook it, so it must be because opposite sides add up to 7." If someone figured out the prediction sequence because they know opposite sides add up to 7, then they'd be able to figure out the earlier sequences by the same reasoning. Nobody but a heaviiy oriented STEM person would even begin to figure it out, even theoretically (and even many of them probably wouldn't). Oh, and remind me to tell you the story sometime of how the strongest reaction I've ever gotten from a mathematical trick was from a guy who had a PhD in Math from the University of California!

In my experience, the prediction is super strong, adds diversity to the routine, and is a perfect ending. But your own first-hand experience will tell you more definitively than I can from my own.

Dave Le Fevre

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 15th, 2023, 2:56 pm

I certainly intend to try it at some stage.

There are certain effects and certain plots that I don't like. Oil & Water never appealed to me, until twenty-something years ago I came up with a presentation that suited me. Audiences invariably like it, and so I perform it at times. I'm willing to be flexible.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 16th, 2023, 9:51 am

Dave Le Fevre wrote:I certainly intend to try it at some stage.

There are certain effects and certain plots that I don't like. Oil & Water never appealed to me, until twenty-something years ago I came up with a presentation that suited me. Audiences invariably like it, and so I perform it at times. I'm willing to be flexible.

As they say, it's all good. We are all at the helm of our own magical ship, and must navigate the way that is best for us, and even more importantly, our audiences. I just happen to love the trick (and magic in general) and was trying to generate discussion; hopefully, it did not come across as overbearing.

Dave Le Fevre

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 18th, 2023, 12:09 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:hopefully, it did not come across as overbearing
Not in the slightest, I assure you.

Tried it out today for the first time, having lunch with my son and his girlfriend. He reasoned the method behind The Obedient Dice. While they enjoyed Flash Dice Prediction, she later reasoned the method. And from my perspective, the fact that it always has to be 42 makes it unrepeatable. Dice Paradise stumped them, as I'd anticipated.

I need to find presentations.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 18th, 2023, 1:14 pm

Dave Le Fevre wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:hopefully, it did not come across as overbearing
Not in the slightest, I assure you.

Tried it out today for the first time, having lunch with my son and his girlfriend. He reasoned the method behind The Obedient Dice. While they enjoyed Flash Dice Prediction, she later reasoned the method. And from my perspective, the fact that it always has to be 42 makes it unrepeatable. Dice Paradise stumped them, as I'd anticipated.

I need to find presentations.

Glad to hear that Dave. I hope you are having fun with it. Non-repeatability has never been a minus in my view, as I personally avoid repeating tricks. While we may encounter different reactions and feedback from spectators (e.g. I have never had anyone reason the method of Flash Dice, well, at least insofar as they have told me so), I have long believed that lay people are our best teachers, and we can certainly make our magic and presentations significantly stronger based on our experience performing for them.

Dave Le Fevre

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 18th, 2023, 4:30 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Non-repeatability has never been a minus in my view, as I personally avoid repeating tricks
Ditto.

However, were I doing walkaround close-up at some function and performing Twilight Angels, people chatting afterwards might wonder why their cards were all Two of Hearts. (Which is why I don't use the standard Twilight Angels gaffs.)

And here, I wouldn't want people chatting afterwards to realise that each total was 42.

Return to “Tenyo”