Top 5 Tenyo Tricks.

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

AJM

Re: Top 5 Tenyo Tricks.

Postby AJM » February 21st, 2023, 1:09 pm

I must also revisit this item.

I think I have the Disney version.

Andrew

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » February 21st, 2023, 2:46 pm

Interesting fact:

The instructions were written by Alan Parsons. Yes, that Alan Parsons of The Alan Parsons Project! The 1977 album “I ROBOT” comes to mind.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » February 21st, 2023, 8:38 pm

1) I used to sell Flash Dice at the shop in the early '90s. The one tip I can offer is that you can get adept at spotting the next needed die and number AS you're talking and putting each die in the tray. This includes using your knowledge that two opposite sides equal 7. The benefit: There will never be any hesitation in picking up the next needed die. It looks very fluid and exceedingly fair.

2) Woody Landers taught me an excellent routine back in the '80s combining Flash Dice and the SS Adams die prediction "Crazy Cube". It doubled sales since we could sell two products per routine. Effect: The spectator puts the die in the small canister, remembering the face up number, free choice of course. The magish points out that nothing can be seen through the bottom and/or top of the canister(s). The dice are placed "randomly" in the tray and the tray is given a shake. All the dice now match the value of the hidden die in the canister.

3) One throw-off for the repetitious 1 or 2 shakes of the tray is to shake it 5 (or more?!) times, rotating the dice 450 degrees (or more). Again, it's disarmingly casual in giving the appearance of jumbling the dice.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 21st, 2023, 9:26 pm

Steve Hook wrote:1) I used to sell Flash Dice at the shop in the early '90s. The one tip I can offer is that you can get adept at spotting the next needed die and number AS you're talking and putting each die in the tray. This includes using your knowledge that two opposite sides equal 7. The benefit: There will never be any hesitation in picking up the next needed die. It looks very fluid and exceedingly fair...

That is a superb tip. The magicality (is that a word?) of the routine greatly depends on building the conviction that the dice are being placed in the box haphazardly and completely at random. Therefore, it is vital to avoid any appearance of calculation. Otherwise they will think (and correctly so) that you have pre-arranged the dice in order to produce the desired result.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 22nd, 2023, 8:30 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:[quote...The magicality (is that a word?) of the routine greatly depends on building the conviction that the dice are being placed in the box haphazardly and completely at random...

Well, painstaking research reveals that "magicality" is an ancient and revered word, of longstanding usage in the English language...
...that I just made up yesterday. (Although, as it turns out, there is an illustrious race horse by the name of "Magicality").

What I did find out is that there IS actually a word called "magicalness." Who would've thunk it? Magicalness is defined as "The condition or quality of being magical."

https://www.yourdictionary.com/magicalness
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magicalness

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 8th, 2023, 2:12 pm

Has anyone else had trouble with the Tenyo English instructions site? I keep trying to get into it and have checked (and double checked) the URL and still can't get the server to connect.

Thanks!

PS: If you do decide to get Mr. Danger, I recommend not looking at the Japanese instructions at first. Just do the trick and you will fool yourself!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 8th, 2023, 4:19 pm

Are you certain the site is not working? Or is it just not working for Mr. Danger.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 8th, 2023, 10:21 pm

Thx, RK: couldn't connect to the server period this afternoon, but now back up again.

Return to “Tenyo”