Three mini-reviews

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Jack Shalom

Three mini-reviews

Postby Jack Shalom » January 31st, 2020, 8:46 am

Hi,

You may enjoy reading my mini-reviews of three magic books I've recently read:

The Top Change by Magic Christian,
Interpreting Magic by David Regal, and
Thinking of You, by Andy of the Jerx.

Click here: https://jackshalom.net/2020/01/31/the-b ... edition-4/

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Three mini-reviews

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 7th, 2020, 6:08 am

I enjoyed the reviews, Jack, thank you. IMO Regal is definitely one of the most creative magicians presentation-wise, and I'm not surprised to learn of his improv/acting background. As for the top change, it is a sleight that takes some cajones, and an overcoming of the stifling "guilt" factor, but confidence comes with doing, and with repeated success (at not getting busted). I have learned that it's more about timing and misdirection than technique, because like the pass, it cannot be done completely invisibly no matter how smoothly it's done. I use it after the change of a card in the spectator's hand. The first top change after the change in hand is a breeze because there's a huge (but not long) window of opportunity, kind of like how easy it is to load a second lemon or big ball after appearance of the first in the chop cup or cups and balls. The second top change, when timed right, is almost as easy of accomplishment as the first one, due to the cover, misdirection and surprise of the first top change. The third top change? Don't try it! I have found that out the hard way....

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 7th, 2020, 7:44 am

As for the top change, it is a sleight that takes some cajones, and an overcoming of the stifling "guilt" factor, but confidence comes with doing, and with repeated success (at not getting busted).

Top tip for the top change; when you are learning the move, and getting comfortable with it, make a point of doing it all the time. When you are just talking to someone, with a deck in hand, take off the top card and change it. Do this whenever you can.

After a while you'll notice that people don't notice (and there's no problem if they do - you are just noodling with the deck). The more you do this, the more you will realise that it's a move that can be done without people noticing, and the need for cajones diminishes. This will reduce the guilt factor hugely.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 7th, 2020, 8:48 am

Ian Kendall wrote:
As for the top change, it is a sleight that takes some cajones, and an overcoming of the stifling "guilt" factor, but confidence comes with doing, and with repeated success (at not getting busted).

Top tip for the top change; when you are learning the move, and getting comfortable with it, make a point of doing it all the time. When you are just talking to someone, with a deck in hand, take off the top card and change it. Do this whenever you can.

After a while you'll notice that people don't notice (and there's no problem if they do - you are just noodling with the deck). The more you do this, the more you will realise that it's a move that can be done without people noticing, and the need for cajones diminishes. This will reduce the guilt factor hugely.

Ian's top tip sounds like a very good one - one might even say, a tip-top tip! I remember when I was learning the coin roll. I was living in San Francisco at the time, walking a lot and -- having no car -- frequently riding buses, trains and streetcars. I perpetually had a Morgan silver dollar, or sometimes a Kennedy or Walking Liberty half, with me. I saw a lot of people observing me or, at times, smiling or doing double takes :o (when I got it right). It's obviously in a a different class of moves than the top change, in that the latter is surreptitious, while the coin roll is an ostentatious flourish or display of skill, meant to be visually appreciated. But the principle of repetition and getting comfortable with a move when there are people about, in order to develop smoothness and confidence, is similar.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 7th, 2020, 10:41 am

I teach English, and when I call on kids, I have a deck of cards with each kid's name on a card. I go through the deck until each kid is called on, and then shuffle and start again.

So for a few minutes five times a day, I'm standing in front of 40 kids with a deck in my hand. Then I started practicing my Topping the Deck palm. I've done it hundreds and hundreds of times like that. It's great practice if you can arrange it.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”