Secrets of an Escamoteur

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Bill Wheeler

Secrets of an Escamoteur

Postby Bill Wheeler » December 16th, 2005, 8:44 pm

This was reviewed in the latest Genii and I am genuinely pleased this is finally going to be published soon. "Feints and Temps" was an awesome book. Does anyone have more details about when this book will be available for purchase (or advance purchase)?
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Jamy Ian Swiss

Re: Secrets of an Escamoteur

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » December 17th, 2005, 11:14 am

The book went to the printer last week (it was waiting for the last of three contributed introductions, by Teller, Mike Close, and that last one written by ... um ... me). So my guess is we might see it in six to eight weeks, but at present Stephen Minch is away in Italy, so that's not authoritative, it's a guess. And yes, Feints and Temps is a marvelous, vastly under-appreciated book, which I highly recommend. (And still available, I believe, from Richard Kaufman.)

Postby Guest » December 17th, 2005, 9:01 pm

There's a piece about Harry Riser, (mentioning the upcoming book) in the Indianapolis Star. It's a sidebar to a larger story about Indianapolis magic: Harry Riser: The trick is in the cards, Indianapolis Star, December 11, 2005.

Doc Rogers
Favorite Magician: Daryl, Michael Vincent ,David Regal

Postby Doc Rogers » February 17th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I received mine today and it is wonderful. Thanks to Harry, Stephen and all involved.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 17th, 2006, 1:27 pm

SOE arrived today and I am taking a break from a few hours spent sitting on a dock beside the little manatee river, bathed in sun and a gentle breeze, working through the Charlie Miller section.

I am simply in heaven. Within the first twenty pages are two techniques/subtleties that are superior solutions to problems in routines that are centerpieces of my repertoire. Beyond the immediate applicability for me, is a deeply enjoyable book. Harry's personality shines through in the combination of stories/reflections on the legends that were fellow travelers of his, and in the incredibly elegant, devious conjuring that fills the pages. It is like sitting down for a pleasant afternoon with a legend.

Between The Book of Secrets, Mnemonica, The Richardson volumes, The Structural Conception of Magic, the completion of Card College, and this volume -- we have been extraordinarily lucky in the last few years to see the release of books that will likely still be classics decades from now. The explosion of information in magic has, at least, meant the release of plenty of wheat to go along with the overabundant chaff. It is worth noting that -- while my list certainly isn't definitive -- the majority of the items on it have come courtesy of Hermetic Press. In the last two years or so I have almost become a "subscriber" to HP -- buying virtually everything they have released, I have never been disappointed by a title that has come out of their shop -- and I doubt that I am alone. Thank you, so much, to Mr. Minch for continuing to live up to such a high standard of quality.

My hope is that, to reward Mssrs. Riser, Minch et al. many will buy this. For my own sake, I hope far fewer will actually read it.

N.

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » February 17th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Got mine today. An absolute feast of great ideas. Loving every page.

P.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Got mine today as well. Looks great!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2006, 11:30 pm

I have ordered a few for the shop, if you want one, please give me a call to put it on hold!
818-508-9921

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » February 20th, 2006, 3:36 pm

What an outstanding book, and worth the wait. I fooled myself working through "Yours, Mine and Ours".
Driver: Callaway FT-5

Irons: Titlest AP-1

Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64

Putter: i-series Black #9

Return to “Light From the Lamp”