Easy Money + Variations

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Jeff.Prace

Easy Money + Variations

Postby Jeff.Prace » April 6th, 2009, 10:37 pm

I decided to make this post to inform people of the best trick in the world. Patrick Page's Easy Money. Here, I will discuss all of the variations of Easy Money, and my thoughts on them. I love this trick, and I have purchased almost every variation. I will also give you links to where you can purchase the effects. I will edit this post every time a new variation comes out. This is an improved post, I posted the original over at the Penguin Magic forums. Unfortunately, I made some major mistakes. I corrected them all in this post. Let's start with the original...

Easy Money: Invented by Patrick Page, Easy Money was the start for most multiple bill switches. With just a rub, four pieces of paper change into money. The gimmick is the same as many later variations, including Hundy 500. To my knowledge, the original can only be found in two places.
-HERE is a DVD with Patrick Page teaching. It's Patrick Page's Rope Magic and Magic with Paper DVD.
-HERE is a new DVD put out by L and L Publishing on the original Easy Money. It's great because it's free with all orders over $25!
-FUN INC,. will be producing a DVD on the original Easy Money, featuring John Lovick.

Flash Cash: This goes by many different names, but was invented by Fred Kaps. It's his version of Easy Money, which Pat Page agreed was better than his. This uses a much simpler gimmick than Pat's, but is not as clean.
-HERE Michael Ammar teaches the effect. Even though it is called Easy Money, it is Flash Cash.
-HERE is a booklet only available from Magic Inc,. located in Illinois. Although it's named Easy Money, it really teaches Flash Cash. It not only explains how the effect is done, it tells some history on the effect as well. There are many illustrations, which are all drawn by Jay Marshall. It's a very good booklet. Also, I only paid about $6, they muse have not updated their website.
-HERE are Fred Kaps' lecture notes. The trick "Newspaper to Dollars" is what I assume to be Flash Cash. I don't have the notes so I cannot confirm this.
-HERE is something that is basically the same as Flash Cash. Same gimmick, same trick. The only difference is the name.
VIDEO: HERE is a performance by Fred Kaps himself.

Hundy 500: Tim Trono urged Gregory Wilson to release this masterpiece. This uses the same gimmick as the original Easy Money, not Flash Cash. You basically spin the folded packet of bills, and the change into a different denomination. It's not too difficult to do, but does require practice. This is available in two formats.
-HERE is Gregory Wilson teaching his effect on DVD. It covers everything you need, with multiple angles.
-I am not sure if a booklet was released of Hundy 500. A few of my friends claim to have it. I couldn't find it, but I should mention it anyways.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo video for Hundy 500.
VIDEO: HERE is a video of Oz Pearlman performing this.

Show Me the Money: I am ashamed to include this. Magic Makers did a bad thing. This is a total knock-off of Gregory Wilson's Hundy 500. You can find this on one DVD.
-HERE is the DVD, The Reserve. It knocks-off many great tricks, and I don't recommend this DVD.

Paper to Money Plus: This does not use the same gimmick as Hundy 500 or Easy Money. It used a totally different gimmick, which I don't particularly like. It is visual, though. There is a demo of this effect on one of the Reel Magic Quarterly issues. This is a trick you have to buy singly.
HERE is Paper to Money Plus.

Handy 500: Found as a bonus in a DVD, not a lot of people heard of this variation. Dan White, the man who taught Digital Dissolve on the DVD, invented this. It uses the same gimmick as Hundy 500. This variation is worth considering because the bills change inside the spectator's hand. The spectator holds the five bills, and you wave your hand over them and they change. This can only be found as a bonus on a DVD.
-HERE is Juan's Hundred Dollar Bill Switch. As a bonus on this DVD, Dan White quickly teaches his Handy 500. The gimmick is not taught, and he goes over everything quickly.

Slow Burn: Richard Sanders, an awesome guy, created one of the most visual variations to date. The gimmick is the same as Hundy 500. This can be found in two places.
-HERE is the original DVD of Slow Burn. Everything is explained in great detail, and there are multiple angles.
-HERE Richard Sanders quickly teaches Slow Burn. I will talk more about this DVD in a little while.
VIDEO: HERE is a performance from the original Slow Burn DVD.
VIDEO: HERE is an updated video performance.

Heiny 500: Karl Hein's variation is arguably the best on the market. John Lovick, otherwise known as Handsome Jack, still thinks this is the best variation to date. Five bills slowly and visibly change to a higher denomination. This uses the same gimmick as Hundy 500. This effect can be found in two places.
-HERE is the effect taught on a high quality DVD produced by Kozmo Magic. Everything is taught well, except for the gimmick.
-This can also be found in Karl's lecture DVD. The DVD is only available through Karl Hein's lecture. I have yet to see this DVD, so I don't know much about it.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo video with Karl Hein.

3D Cash: I do not have this DVD. In this, there are three bill changes. I have no idea what the gimmick is. I heard complaints about the packet being too large and noticeable. Also, I heard the DVD was not produced that well.
-HERE is Mark Allen teaching this effect on DVD.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo of 3D Cash.

Vicissitube: I do not have this. This is taught on a DVD as one of the tricks. I have heard good things about this variation.
-HERE is Cory Burke's DVD Voracity. On this DVD, there are many tricks taught. One of the tricks is Vicissitube.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo video for Voracity. There is a quick clip of Vicissitube in this.

Extreme Burn: From the creator of Slow Burn, comes the most visual variation ever. Richard Sanders is awesome for thinking of this. This uses the same gimmick as Hundy 500, with a little something extra to make all of the changes work. There are nine hyper-visual changes on this DVD. I wrote a review for this HERE. This is the best variation ever, in my opinion, to be concocted.
-HERE is the Extreme Burn DVD. It teaches how to make the gimmick and all nine changes expertly. Slow Burn is one of the nine changes.
VIDEO: HERE is the official demo video of Extreme Burn.
VIDEO: HERE is a video of one of the nine changes taught on the DVD.

Prophet: Theory 11 released this at a bad time. Tom Isaacson has created an interesting variation with permission from Patrick Page. There are two changes taught on this DVD. This uses the same gimmick as Hundy 500. I wrote a review for this HERE.
-HERE is the DVD in which you can learn Prophet. It is taught by Tom Isaacson in 32 minutes.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo video of Prophet.

Alpha Cash: This variation is by Jay Noblezada, and makes me sad. This is exactly the same as Fred Kaps' Flash Cash. It's just recycled and repackaged. I emailed Jay and asked what separated his variation, with no response. Sorry Penguin, but this is just bad.
-HERE is Jay Noblezada's DVD Money, in which this trick is taught in.
-HERE is Jay Noblezada's DVD Download Money, in which this trick is taught.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo of Money, which Alpha Cash is talked about.

Visceral: Derek Roberts, the man who brought us Departure, publishes his handling on Easy Money. Unlike many other variations, this one is done at chest level. It's nice because it helps feature the magicians face when performing. It's used as a simile with Coins Across/Three Fly.
-HERE is Derek Roberts teaching this on DVD.
VIDEO: HERE is the official demo for this effect.

Well, I'm done. I hope you enjoyed reading it, and I hope you learned a few things. This took me a long time to type, and I'm proud of it. If you know of any other variations, please tell me. Also, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns please post them.

Jeff

David Prouty

Re: Easy Money + Variations

Postby David Prouty » April 7th, 2009, 10:15 am

Thanks Jeff, for putting together your excellent post.

Bob King has an interesting variation of Fred Kap's Flash Cash, entitled "Dollarama" ...

David Prouty

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » April 7th, 2009, 10:19 am

Jeff, Interesting and useful posting. Peter Studebaker's video has LottoCash with an excellent handling.

Anthony
Anthony

Henley

Postby Henley » April 15th, 2009, 5:32 am

Thanks Jeff, it just happens I got Extreme Burn last week and I'm having a lot of fun with it.
(Damn those odd-sized Japanese bills!)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 15th, 2009, 8:55 am

How do these items connect to the Bert Alerton item in The Stars of Magic?

Is there one where you can use bills of different sizes?

*you'll have to look a bit but I posted my thoughts on presenting this item (uncle's wallet/psychic paper two changes)
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 15th, 2009, 8:59 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: have you seen the trillion dollar bills? Got TARP?

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » April 15th, 2009, 11:15 pm

I've never seen the Bert Alerton item.

I can say for all of the variations posted in my post can not be done with different bill sizes. They cannot have holes or see-through areas either.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 16th, 2009, 8:28 am

Jeff -- I showed your list to Patrick Page when I was at his home on Monday, and he was very impressed.

Matt Field

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 16th, 2009, 8:48 am

hmmm okay "Allerton". Stars of Magic anyone?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 16th, 2009, 12:51 pm

Been doing it for years! Plus, an item written by Jon Racherbaumer call "Swoggled and Boggled" which is a killer.

GO

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 16th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Been doing it for years! Plus, an item written by Jon Racherbaumer call "Swoggled and Boggled" which is a killer. I really believe that Allerton's Hornswoggled is the Grand-Daddy of them all. Jon's appeared in the Genii a few years ago. and is on his website.

GO

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » June 20th, 2009, 2:40 am

Foreign Exchange: A marketed item from Jim Pace, uses the same gimmick as Patrick Pages Easy Money.
-I was not able to find this marketed item anywhere.

Money for Nothin' and Tricks for Free: This by Phil Cass of Australia and is also virtually identical to Easy Money.
-HERE is a place where Phil's lecture notes can be found, "OH NO! NOT A MAGICIAN!!", which contains this effect.

Dollarama:: A marketed item from Bob King. It is based on Fred Kapss Flash Cash, but the gimmick has been changed a bit so the moment of transformation is altered slightly.
-HERE is one place you can get this marketed effect.

Lotto Cash: This is by Peter Studebaker. It is similar to Kapss Flash Casha handful of lottery tickets turns into a handful of dollar bills. However, the bills are attached to the gimmick at an angle, giving the transformation a slightly different look. An added advantage is that the tickets and bills can be different sizes.
-HERE is one place you can buy his DVD, "Classic Studebaker", which contains this effect.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo clip to the DVD.

Dubyas Tax Rebate: This is a marketed version of Kapss Flash Cash. Blank pieces of paper change into novelty $200 bills with George W. Bushs portrait.
-I was not able to find this marketed item anywhere.

mag6969

Postby mag6969 » June 24th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Well george, that the point of calling it a VARIATION. It's like trademarking the word the. You can't. It's too general. Just liek you cant patent a pickup truck.
http://www.mypubtricks.com/
one stop magic shop.

Sebastien L.

Postby Sebastien L. » June 25th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Will any of these work with currency where different denominations are of different colours (but the same size)?

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » August 15th, 2009, 6:14 pm

HandOut 500: This is a marketed bill switch by Steve Haynes. It utilizes a new gimmick, which takes away the extra thickness of the bills. Also, you can now handout all five bills after the change. You also show both sides of the bills as they change.
-HERE is the place you can purchase HandOut 500. It's a DVD containing HandOut 500 plus a bonus effect. It's a "Paul Harris Presents" release.
VIDEO: HERE is the demo video for HandOut 500.

greg manwaring

Postby greg manwaring » August 16th, 2009, 7:47 am

Well, I am impressed!! Looks like Steve has worked out the last thing needed for this to have real world functionality!! Good job!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 16th, 2009, 9:17 am

greg manwaring wrote:Well, I am impressed!! Looks like Steve has worked out the last thing needed for this to have real world functionality!! Good job!

I'll have to read up on the reset process for this item before having an opinion about it's practicality for real world use.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Seuss

Postby Seuss » August 16th, 2009, 9:56 am

of course i just ordered heiny500 lol
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Themagicofcurtis

Postby Themagicofcurtis » February 28th, 2010, 3:28 pm

I also wanted to let everyone know that richard sanders realeased
ExtremeBurn 2.0 with advanced handlings of the underground change and something like 5-7 techniques to hand the bills out...I my opinion this beat out steve hayne's version.

Postby 000 » March 1st, 2010, 5:04 am

Thanks Jeff, very useful.
I have the same question as Sebastian above please.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » March 1st, 2010, 6:51 am

I may be a little late with the response time here... but the question arose of whether you can do any of these with different size notes. It may not be possible to change 5 x 5 notes to 5 x 50 notes here in the UK as one is much larger than the other. However, it is possible to change a variety of notes to a different variety of notes.

One set I made up has 5 notes of various sizes and colours from different countries. As long as the gimmick is made from notes the same size, and the other notes are smaller and the folds all line up, it does not matter.

Sensio

Postby Sensio » April 6th, 2010, 4:21 am

Your patience and devotion are admirable. Thanks!

Dave Beutler

Postby Dave Beutler » April 6th, 2010, 11:33 am

Jeff.Prace wrote:I decided to make this post to inform people of the best trick in the world. Patrick Page's Easy Money.

I always thought the best trick was separating a magician from his money! :grin:

Themagicofcurtis

Postby Themagicofcurtis » April 28th, 2010, 2:42 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know here that I have posted a video of multiple live performances of Extreme Burn 2.0 on Youtube and here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FMHKM7pvQ4

if you have a youtube account you can leave a comment there but otherwise feel free to critique my performance and crazy editing skills :-) it took a few hours of just editing to get it all just right, some of this video was filmed with my flip ultraHD but since some of it isn't it doesn't register as HD

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 29th, 2010, 5:16 am

Cut out the really low lit stuff as you can't see anything. And tbh, the reaction isn't all that anyway.

Other than, the editing is great, your attitude and persona seem "cool" or whatever is the age appropriate positive adjective nowadays and I liked the way you use the garageband loops.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 29th, 2010, 8:05 am

I was puzzled by the video. Examinable? Odd twitches. Motivation? Followthrough?

Have any of the serious card guys written up the basics of the gamblers cop and wallet as loader on this trick? Yes, the second article (if not the first) should cover the use of a z-wallet to make sure there's more room for alternates and a free display of both sides of the wallet.

Is the use of a weight in the gaff supposed to be a significant distinction? How about IT or dental dam while we're at it?

Note to Tony Miller - Your fourway wallet is a natural for this one - as when you start by asking for change of a five for singles you have a setup for a signed bill routine and lots of byplay.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 29th, 2010, 8:08 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: * figure I already tipped the "my great uncle's wallet" routine in an earlier post so this is just mechanics.

Themagicofcurtis

Postby Themagicofcurtis » May 1st, 2010, 10:04 am

thank you mrgoat. I was filming for a different camera for the low light and since that clip contained my patter so it is the only reason that I decided to include it. I'm glad you liked the editing and the sound effects, but I don't think it's very fair to rate people's reactions. People react different ways, and the clips that I showed were of people enjoying the effect. Just because everyone didn't scream their heads off in every clip doesn't mean the reactions weren't great. But thanks for watching, and thanks for the criticism, it was greatly appreciated :-)

Curtis

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 1st, 2010, 11:22 am

Themagicofcurtis wrote:thank you mrgoat. I was filming for a different camera for the low light and since that clip contained my patter so it is the only reason that I decided to include it. I'm glad you liked the editing and the sound effects, but I don't think it's very fair to rate people's reactions. People react different ways, and the clips that I showed were of people enjoying the effect. Just because everyone didn't scream their heads off in every clip doesn't mean the reactions weren't great. But thanks for watching, and thanks for the criticism, it was greatly appreciated :-)

Curtis

My point is, and sorry this wasn't clear, that you are making a promo video. So you only really want good reactions. Obviously, in real life some people are totally astounded, so much so they can't speak. Amazing reaction. [censored] for your reel.

As that clip is so dark you cannot see what is happening, and the reaction isn't very interesting anyway, I would remove it.

And get Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe. :)

With best intentions,

Damian

Themagicofcurtis

Postby Themagicofcurtis » May 3rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

I was in a sense making a promo video. The video is a start of a web series of street magic performances that will be assembled similar to the extreme burn 2.0. ONce again, you should not rate reactions, and since the clip was dark i inserted the pic-in-a-pic function to show the underground change that I used or that performance. And if you own the dvd you see that I wanted to show the entire effect, clean up and all, but there was something that I did my best to hide. I had to change my patter for the studio performance to compensate for the fact that people on youtube can simply pause and rewind the film at parts :-)

I own the first volume of the fitzkee trilogy on presentation and 3 tarbell volumes, but thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

Curtis

Return to “Light From the Lamp”