Left-Handed: USPS Teleport Envelope Correction

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Necromancer

Left-Handed: USPS Teleport Envelope Correction

Postby Necromancer » July 31st, 2019, 10:57 am

I commend Jeff Prace for coming up with this practical application of the Ted Lesley Teleport Envelope. It is excellent. But it is also very, very close to the work of a pioneer in the field whose work has been ignored, and I'd like to correct the record.

In 2002 (17 years ago!), prolific mentalism creator and publisher Lee Earle published three mentalism applications of the USPS Priority Mail envelope, of which his version of the Teleport Envelope is one. They are contained in his booklet, Early Earle.

Independent creation does happen; as a precaution, it is incumbent upon us as responsible creators to do thorough research so crucial contributors to the art receive their due recognition. Mentalism poses a tricky case. Until recently, mentalism has been largely off the beaten path for creators and consumers of mainstream magic, causing mentalists to create their own specialized organizations and publications; as a result, there may be a considerable expanse of literature of which magicians recently entering the mentalism fold may be unaware.

In the future, I humbly suggest that during the initial research period, creators contact knowledgeable mentalists as a resource. Personally, I've found my fellow members of the Psychic Entertainers Association (p-e-a.org) to be invaluable in this respect. To any magic creators applying their hand to mentalism, I would happily pass along any works in progress to this body of scholars on your behalf.

Thanks,
Neil
neil@necromancerevents.com
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Left-Handed: USPS Teleport Envelope Correction

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2019, 11:51 am

Yes, we know this, and a correction will appear in Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Necromancer

Re: Left-Handed: USPS Teleport Envelope Correction

Postby Necromancer » August 10th, 2019, 11:50 am

Thank you, Richard. As a side note, the application of the Teleport concept to a standard padded mailing envelope came even earlier, with the work of Daryl Bem (1990).

Thanks again.
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Return to “Columns”