Open Fan Letter to Kainoa Harbottle

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Anthony Vinson

Open Fan Letter to Kainoa Harbottle

Postby Anthony Vinson » February 23rd, 2017, 2:48 pm

Kainoa,

I am not a coin guy. Not even close. I carry a couple of impromptu coin tricks in my arsenal “just in case”, but none are any more demanding than a simple false transfer, finger palm, or Bobo Switch. That said, I have enjoyed reading your Genii columns under the banner By Means of Metal primarily because of your engaging writing style and obvious enthusiasm. Even so, not being a coin guy, I was never inspired to try out any of the material you covered. That is until last month’s installment, Curtis Kamm’s Quartermaster, and your latest offering, Easy Miser.

After reading through the Quartermaster routine I was intrigued and pulled up the video file. “Hell, I could do that!” I thought, and set about practicing. (I had an old quarter-size Chinese coin in my magic junk drawer from some long ago purchased trick that was perfect for the effect. Knew it’d come in handy some day!) Still working on it, especially the palm change, but it’s coming along and I am feeling pretty comfortable with the routine overall. Then comes Easy Miser and suddenly I want to work on it as well! In fact I have already began fiddling around with the Click Pass, although it’s going to take me longer than the recommended seven days.

The upshot is that I should probably stop reading your columns, otherwise I just might get the urge to learn more coin magic, and trust me when I say that I am getting far too old for new tricks. Well, maybe. We’ll see.

At any rate, thanks for the great writing, great routines, and inspiration.

Regards,

Av

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Open Fan Letter to Kainoa Harbottle

Postby Joe Mckay » February 23rd, 2017, 6:27 pm

Well said!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 23rd, 2017, 7:02 pm

Quartermaster is a wonderful routine and those who like the principle used might like to check Michael Weber's more recent published works for some excellent presentational premises.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 23rd, 2017, 7:40 pm

And ... Easy Miser this month was a real video highlight. Looks awesome.

Return to “Columns”