Pediatrix-My Wish for you

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Andrew Martin Portala

Pediatrix-My Wish for you

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » August 2nd, 2002, 5:54 am

In the June issue of Genii,Danny Orleans,writes about the adults talking during a family show.His idea is to past out a card to the adult who is yaking during your show,that basiclly states,to stop talking during the show.
He used this only twice in 6 months and states it works.

Well..........

I think your going to upset someone soon.
I'll been there many ,many times the grown -ups are talking through my show.They should know better
but they don't.

My advice is,I hate to say it, but deal with.
Mainly I find this happening at country clubs.
It THEIR CLUB, they pay the dues,ect. So they can do anything they want.

I been doing a country club for many years.They're a very good client and every grown-up yaks and yaks during my show( and I do have a good show).

If I throw out a line or give them a card to shut-up .I really don't think I'll be there year after year.Also getting other bookings from adults that seen me at the party.

Last year,I did a show at another country club
everyone was enjoy it and then this guy came out nowhere and announce the best costumes for the halloween party.I was P.O. but I keep my cool and dealt with it.
Because I know ,being a homebase magician that I couldn't show I was upset and then lose the client and other bookings. If I said something that I was P.O. they would say oh, he was a mean magician.

I know it drive us crazy but not every show has broadway audience. I think the best thing to do is to deal with the yaking grown-ups and give the best show you can.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Pediatrix-My Wish for you

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 2nd, 2002, 6:39 am

Re-read the article. I don't think he says anything about showing them you are pissed off or that you are upset with them. In fact, I think this approach is designed to be the exact opposite. You're telling them in a calm, respectful manner that they are being disruptive to those trying to watch the show. You should never, ever let them see that you're upset.

-Jim

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » August 2nd, 2002, 7:07 am

Your right Jim, to not let the audience know your upset.
I guess I got kind of loss.I was trying to show the country club setting of anything goes with their members.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 4th, 2002, 10:15 am

I remember a group of magicians working at a Country Club and the audience was literally NOT PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO THE SHOW...

Act after act died... and there were some major players...

UNTIL AL FLOSSO WENT ON...

He got their attention... He made them shut up. He made them listen. He made them into a wonderful audience.

He knocked 'em dead too...

And, THANK YOU AL... I followed and had the attentnion of the audience.

What a lesson was learned from a master that day!

Makes you want to carry a whistle and a gun to all your shows! :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2002, 10:53 am

That's a great anecdote, Pete. Thanks for sharing.
Along similar lines to this thread: sometimes when doing magic in a restaurant setting, you have waitstaff interrupting you. Some performers are greatly offended by this. Andrew Martin said it well, "Deal with it". I'll say it better, GET OVER IT!. You must if you are working in this venue. I make jokes about the interruptions and the situation, and it really works for me. I don't just mean that I make light of it, I have this whole "thing" that works for me when it happens. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is. I told Reed Mclintock about educating people about what you do, and look what happened. He ran with it! He's taking classes and everything!
Anyway, some venues suck. Some audiences don't appreciate us or our art. F 'em.

Return to “Columns”