Missing move in "LuLu Lemon"?

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
dlfodness

Missing move in "LuLu Lemon"?

Postby dlfodness » August 20th, 2011, 4:49 pm

The directions for "LuLu Lemon" (Sept., Genii issue) seem to be missing a move. The first part of the effect says to riffle down the deck about 15 cards and then "turn these cards face up onto the deck and outjogged..." The magi is next to "remove the face-down card (the crimped card) from the top of the deck..."

The problem is that, following these dirctions, the crimped card has already been turned face-up on the deck as part of the 15-cad fanned-out group of cards. It no longer is at the top of the deck, ready to be taken out and placed face-down in the fanned-out, face-up group, as the directions imply.

What am I missing? It seems to me that to retain the crimped card on top, it is necessary to hold it down with the left fingers while slipping out the balance of the 15 cards underneath.

Maybe I have misread something, but it certainly seems that this move (to get the crimped card into the face-up fan) is not adequarely or correctly described.

I look forward to hearing about this. Thanks!

Dean

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Missing move in "LuLu Lemon"?

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 20th, 2011, 5:33 pm

I'm on an airplane right now (wireless!) so can't look at the instructions, but the simple solution is to withdraw the 15 card from either the center or bottom of the deck. I don't think there is a sleight missing from the description.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 20th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Hi Dean,
I don't have the September issue yet and I can't access the online version at the moment but I was able to walk through the original description I wrote up and everything worked fine for me. I'll check out the digital issue tonight.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 20th, 2011, 7:30 pm

AHA! I just read the online version and it seems Mr. Kaufman made a little change to the text that's incorrect. In other words Dean, you're right - when you turn the top 15 cards face up and spread them, the crimped card is face up at the left end of the spread, not on top of the deck. Here's the problem sentence as I originally wrote it (if you do this instead of what's written in the magazine you'll be fine):

Say, "I'll start by making a prediction, and that's this card." At the same time, your right hand lets go of the spread and openly removes the first face-down card from beneath it by grasping its inner end and pulling it toward you. Say, "I'll put it in the middle of these cards so it's isolated." Without looking at it, insert the card face down into the middle of the spread, leaving it slightly outjogged (fig.2).

Follow along from there and it'll all work out.

Oh, and in the Biddle Ditch sequence, ignore the reference to the face-down card in this sentence: "In a continuing action, your left thumb peels the top card off the deck and onto its packet, taking care not to expose the face-down card beneath it." (there is no face-down card)
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

dlfodness

Postby dlfodness » August 20th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Thanks, David, for the speedy reply. What you say clears up my conserns. Thanks so much!

Dean

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » October 4th, 2011, 8:00 pm

This is a terrific trick. Thanks for clearing that up.

Phil Pearce

Postby Phil Pearce » February 2nd, 2012, 12:33 am

David Acer wrote:AHA! I just read the online version and it seems Mr. Kaufman made a little change to the text that's incorrect. In other words Dean, you're right - when you turn the top 15 cards face up and spread them, the crimped card is face up at the left end of the spread, not on top of the deck. Here's the problem sentence as I originally wrote it (if you do this instead of what's written in the magazine you'll be fine):

Say, "I'll start by making a prediction, and that's this card." At the same time, your right hand lets go of the spread and openly removes the first face-down card from beneath it by grasping its inner end and pulling it toward you. Say, "I'll put it in the middle of these cards so it's isolated." Without looking at it, insert the card face down into the middle of the spread, leaving it slightly outjogged (fig.2).

Follow along from there and it'll all work out.

Thanks for clearing this up, David. However (and it's probably me reading this wrong), when I follow these directions, after the "swiveling the whole deal clockwise" part, my crimped card winds up at the inner RIGHT corner, and subsequent references to the orientation of the crimped card are kind of backwards.
Can anyone clear this up?
And would it make sense to crimp the card on another corner, since when the original "15" cards are turned face up on top of the face down deck at the beginning, the crimp is visible to the spectators?
Thanks so much.

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
Roald Dahl

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2012, 1:09 am

The mistake that will not die.

Edward

Postby Edward » February 2nd, 2012, 7:23 pm

Now that was really helpful.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2012, 7:38 pm

Sorry, we're on deadline for the March issue and I don't have the time to go over the entire handling again.

dlfodness

Postby dlfodness » March 7th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Phil,

You're right about the inner right corner not working out. I correct this by crimping the outer left corner at the beginning. Then everything works fine.

Phil Pearce

Postby Phil Pearce » March 20th, 2012, 12:06 am

Dean wrote:Phil,

You're right about the inner right corner not working out. I correct this by crimping the outer left corner at the beginning. Then everything works fine.

Thanks so much, Dean.

Phil

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

Roald Dahl

Return to “Magicana”