Great card idea

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Pete Biro

Great card idea

Postby Pete Biro » September 24th, 2005, 5:55 pm

Al Schnieder's idea on the "Anniversary Waltz" is BRILLIANT... worth a year's subscription.
Stay tooned.

David Acer

Re: Great card idea

Postby David Acer » September 28th, 2005, 1:55 pm

Yeah, I like the full deck idea. I have to say it's an eclectic Magicana this month. I love Bob Farmer's two-coin-box routine - there's tons of magic and it's easy to do from a technical stand-point. On the other end of the technical spectrum is Ray Kosby's "Influential Choice," a typically Kosbyan knuckle-buster that gives me finger cramps just thinking about it. And Mike Allee's "Broccoli & Carrot" is entertaining both as a trick and as an essay (I've probably read it ten or fifteen times now and it still makes me laugh). It's also nice to see Karl Fulves in the pages of Genii. All in all, and more than usual, there's really something for everyone in this Magicana.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » September 30th, 2005, 6:29 am

Originally posted by David Acer:
It's also nice to see Karl Fulves in the pages of Genii.
Perhaps Richard can talk Karl Fulves into having himself featured in a full length interview ??

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 30th, 2005, 8:57 am

I've been trying to get Karl Fulves agree to be the subject of an interview or cover story for seven years. He's simply not interested.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 30th, 2005, 10:06 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I've been trying to get Karl Fulves agree to be the subject of an interview or cover story for seven years. He's simply not interested.
How about making a completely fictitious one and running it in the April issue? Something where his illustrator tells all and the contributers explain how he got them to donate items. You have talented writers at Genii. Perhaps they could take it on as a creative (and intentionally humorous) item?

I wonder how he would react to a Lovecraft style offering describing just how much effort it took to get that PO box and why today, nobody wants a box on that entire row at that office, and the Post Office staff refuse to even talk about whether or not the guy comes in to pick up his mail? All they say is that they know what day and what time and all take a break and they just leave the door open. All the local customers stay indoors and the streets are quiet. It's only once a week and over the years they learned.

For all the good works Karl has offerd magicdom over the years, it is somewhat odd that he is not celebrated.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » October 1st, 2005, 6:12 pm

Back to "Anniversary Waltz" -- I like Al Schneider's idea too. But I'm dissappointed that while he credited Doc Eason for popularizing it, he didn't credit Christopher Carter for first publishing it (as "Cold Fusion," in Linking Ring magazine, 1990).

Best,
Neil Tobin
www.SupernaturalChicago.com
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

David Acer

Postby David Acer » October 1st, 2005, 8:22 pm

Hi Neil,

Actually I did add a credit to Christopher Carter when I edited Al's piece, but somehow it was omitted. It's possible Richard had a reason for taking it out.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 1st, 2005, 8:26 pm

I knew it sounded familiar, but I can't recall (now) why I edited it.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » October 1st, 2005, 8:38 pm

On a related subject, I've been told that Marc DeSouza and Irv Furman may have published their own back-to-back card fusion routine in the M.U.M. around 1985/86. I don't own a set of M.U.M.s, and my calls for assistance in looking up the trick have gone unanswered, but if it's in there, it predates Chris's "Cold Fusion" by four or five years.

Doc Eason

Postby Doc Eason » October 3rd, 2005, 5:24 pm

I was first directed to the Chris Carter Linking Ring Parade by Phil Willmarth. It was the first i had seen and all i did was to simplify the handling so as to make it attainable for the mere mortals who can't do all the knucklebusting that Chris Carter's version required.. and never meant to slight messrs James or DeSouza or anyone else who had work on this plot..

and speaking of other work on this...

... i love the variation that Mr Schneider has published in the Forte issue.. this is a real gem... as is the patter line to explain the actions.. hooray for Al.. love it...
Doc Eason
www.doceason.com
www.doceasonmagicshop.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 3rd, 2005, 5:30 pm

The actual published start of this is the trick Fusion in my book CardWorks. This is something that David Arthur, Gene Maze, and I worked out in 1981. It was published in 1982. It inspired Jay Sankey, and his version of two back-to-back signed selections appears in Sankey Panky. (For some reason, his trick is rarely mentioned in this discussion, and it includes a masterful, and VISUAL moment when the cards fuse together.)

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » October 6th, 2005, 9:04 am

And don't forget Peter Samelson's fusion plot in Theatrical Close-up 1984(?) (I forget the name and don't have the book in front of me). And of course Wesley James' version called Forgery.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 6th, 2005, 9:35 am

Originally posted by Sam Kesler:
And don't forget Peter Samelson's fusion plot in Theatrical Close-up 1984(?) (I forget the name and don't have the book in front of me).
It's called New York Transpo, and the actual effect is not really a fusion: you start and end with two cards, as opposed to starting with two cards and ending with one. The effect, as Peter's presentation outlines, is transposing the backs of the cards. It's a minor difference, but it should be mentioned for the sake of clarity. Peter does, however, cite "Forgery" (which IS a fusion-plot) as the inspiration for the climax.

And of course Wesley James' version called Forgery.
Not so much a "version" as the original.

-Jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 6th, 2005, 9:38 am

Originally posted by Sam Kesler:
And don't forget Peter Samelson's fusion plot in Theatrical Close-up 1984(?) (I forget the name and don't have the book in front of me). And of course Wesley James' version called Forgery.
Would this be his "New York Transpo" item on page 73? He credits Wes James in the book.

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » October 6th, 2005, 11:25 am

Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I stand corrected. :D

David Acer

Postby David Acer » October 7th, 2005, 7:54 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The actual published start of this is the trick Fusion in my book CardWorks. This is something that David Arthur, Gene Maze, and I worked out in 1981. It was published in 1982.
Meir Yedid also published his "Signa-Fusion" in 1982 (see Incredible Close-Up magic), but unlike the effect in Cardworks wherein the end result is a double-backed card, Meir had one person sign the back of one card and a second person sign the face of another card, then those two cards fused together between his palms.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 8th, 2005, 3:53 pm

Wasn't something along these lines published in LasVegas CloseUp by Paul Harris in 1978? Can't find the book right now, but I think the title was "The Beast with Two Backs" (By P.H & Daryl?). I'm not sure that I remember correctly though.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 8th, 2005, 4:21 pm

Originally posted by Tom Stone:
..."The Beast with Two Backs" ...
That title seems more in line with Derek Dingle's humor, and may also be the name of Jerry Sadowitz's All Backs routine.

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » October 8th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Close, Tom. The routine was published in Close-up Fantasies Finale copyright 1981, published by Chuck Martinez Productions

Page 113 The Beast With Two Backs by Paul & Looy--Prediction card matches spectator's, two cards then placed face to face, melt together forming double-backed card.

Return to “Magicana”