Glorpy plus Spoon Bending

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
David Acer

Glorpy plus Spoon Bending

Postby David Acer » June 28th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Hi Folks,
Is anyone out there aware of published precedent for combining spoon bending with Glorpy? i.e., a handkerchief is laid on the table, a spoon is placed at the center, the corners are folded over the spoon, there's some mysterious movement in the handkerchief, then the corners are unfolded, showing the spoon to be bent? Obviously it's more a theatrical fusion than a methodological one, but we're trying to determine if that's been in print before.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Mark Collier

Re: Glorpy plus Spoon Bending

Postby Mark Collier » June 28th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Ted Lesley has a similar idea in his Paramiracles but he uses an air bladder under the table cloth.

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » June 28th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Not an answer to your question, but another question: if you put a spoon inside a handkerchief and then push on the spoon, it moves in a way that's very similar to a Glorpy. So if you were to use a Glorpy under such circumstances, would the audience perceive that anything unusual were taking place at all (or would they would just presume you were pressing on the spoon)?

Best,
Neil
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 29th, 2010, 9:46 am

Mark Collier wrote:Ted Lesley has a similar idea in his Paramiracles but he uses an air bladder under the table cloth.

Great - thanks!

Necromancer wrote:Not an answer to your question, but another question: if you put a spoon inside a handkerchief and then push on the spoon, it moves in a way that's very similar to a Glorpy. So if you were to use a Glorpy under such circumstances, would the audience perceive that anything unusual were taking place at all (or would they would just presume you were pressing on the spoon)?

Good question. That's actually how the idea started - experimenting with a spoon and a cloth dinner napkin to achieve an impromptu Glorpy. (I later found out, just in conversation, that other magicians had played around with that idea too) I was never able to get that to work, but this Glorpy/spoon-bending thing was an outgrowth of that experimentation, and eventually turned into a routine called The Ghost of Uri Geller, which Jay Sankey and I shot a few years ago for an as yet unreleased DVD. All that to say, positioning the spoon properly at the outset is the key to negating the concern you raised.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Return to “Magicana”