DelGaudio Shuffle

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Chris Aguilar

Re: DelGaudio Shuffle

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 3rd, 2008, 1:28 am

Videolan, an excellent open source (free) multiplatform player, generally does an excellent job of playing most file formats, including .flv .

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Michael Kras

Postby Michael Kras » November 4th, 2008, 9:11 pm

I agree, it's a great false shuffle... I'm still working on it, it's not quite performance ready but it's coming along!

A1exM

Postby A1exM » November 5th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Hello Derek, Thanks for posting' I'm very interested to know Steve's original handling for this shuffle and roughly what time of year he showed you this. Also, i'd like to know Ben's inspiration for the Grey shuffle, if you know it. hope you can help, alex

Derek DelGaudio

Postby Derek DelGaudio » November 6th, 2008, 4:23 pm

A1exM,

Sometime around 2004/05 I watched private footage of Steve Forte performing a tabled false shuffle. Shortly after I asked Steve to show me the shuffle on the video tape. I have no idea what time of year it was and apologize if that throws off your astrology chart.

Ben told me the Grey Shuffle was his solution to the flaws he saw in Lennert Green's shuffle.

Hope this helps.

DD

A1exM

Postby A1exM » November 8th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Thanks for that Derek, I don't suppose you know if Steve ever published his tabled false shuffle? There are some great shuffles in 'poker protection' and wondered if any of these are similar to the original that you viewed.

Regards Alex

Benny Lau

Postby Benny Lau » January 6th, 2009, 9:01 am

Hi there!

I'm not sure how well this will go down with some of you, but I thought I should put it out there for the sake of crediting rights.

I have previously seen a cardman by the name of Kif Chan (from Hong Kong) perform this exact style of false shuffle. This was previously presented as an online video clip on his website. I cannot recall the exact date I saw this, but I am pretty sure it was around the year 2001/2002. So the shuffle was created at least shortly before this. From memory, Kif claimed on his website that he devised the shuffle after watching/sessioning with Lennart Green. So like Ben Earle, the inspiration was the Green Shuffle.

I did not initially realize Kif was using this same idea until the last few years when a close friend of his tipped the work on it to me. I don't think Kif consciously applies Derek Delgaudio's nice idea of laying a significant bed of cards while simultaneously executing the cascade action when the cards are still interlaced. But in all honesty, Ben Earle or Kif would not be able to perform their shuffles so deceptively if they were not applying these points to some degree. They do them automatically after perfecting the move. As long as the first card(s) to drop comes from the larger packet during the initial start of the cascade, the illusion of a continuous riffle is retained and still looks pretty good (shuffle the smaller block first and the shuffle is not as smooth). It was Derek who realized the subtlety and thus verbalised the idea. I do not say any of the above to slight Mr Delgaudio or Mr Earle. Full credits to them for independently devising their idea(s) and publishing it first. I greatly thank and appreciate them for sharing it. I just felt Kif deserves at least a mention in the history regarding this false shuffle.

Best,
Ben

[For those interested, I may possibly have the video clip of this shuffle saved on an old computer to validate the time, however Kif is not too unknown a name in the magic world (especially having competed at the last FISM), and perhaps others may be able to validate seeing this before. Or you could just confirm it by asking the man himself]

M.R.

Postby M.R. » August 16th, 2009, 10:01 am

The Heinstein Shuffle is actually the Revelli Shuffle.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2009, 10:38 am

Huh?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » August 16th, 2009, 11:29 am

Revelli was the name of a Chico Marx character who did not do any false shuffling.

Rezvani on the other hand has some work on a false shuffle in a little pamphlet published in the 40s.

But, maybe I haven't seen all the Marx brothers movies yet.

Oh and the Mr. Heinstein's shuffle is not precisely like the one in the Magic of Rezvani. They may be cousins though.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » August 16th, 2009, 11:49 am

Kent Gunn wrote:Revelli was the name of a Chico Marx character who did not do any false shuffling.

Ravelli.

It was also the stage name of Dr. Ron Wohl, who I understand did create a shuffle back in the sixties that's similar. I'm not familiar with that shuffle, though, so I can't say what the similarities/differences are.

There was some false shuffling in "Animal Crackers", but I believe that was done by "The Professor" (Harpo).

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » August 16th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Thank you Jim, I sit corrected.

KG

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » August 16th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:There was some false shuffling in "Animal Crackers", but I believe that was done by "The Professor" (Harpo).

-Jim

He's-a my partner!

The difference between the Heinstein and the Ravelli shuffles is that the Heinstein involves an actual weave, requiring an unweave in the mechanics. The Ravelli doesn't. In that regard it's actually closer to the shuffle Harpo does in the movie.

-T

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 16th, 2009, 3:50 pm

The Wohl shuffle is covered in detail on Malone's Here I Go Again series, volume 2. Which also contains an excellent Forte ace cutting routine.

Doesn't anyone watch videos any more?

Mike P

Postby Mike P » August 16th, 2009, 4:00 pm

No Bill they just download them for status ..and keep the originals on the shelf.

Malone does a good job on his vid teaching it.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » August 16th, 2009, 8:18 pm

AMCabral wrote:He's-a my partner!

The difference between the Heinstein and the Ravelli shuffles is that the Heinstein involves an actual weave, requiring an unweave in the mechanics. The Ravelli doesn't. In that regard it's actually closer to the shuffle Harpo does in the movie.

-T

Harpo also has a great cut in Horsefeathers.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » August 16th, 2009, 10:32 pm

There's a lot of terrific card gags in those movies. The Bros. were all inveterate card players*. The Marx Bros. Scrapbook has a terrific early (VERY early) photo of Chico playing cards with himself that Ricky Jay duplicated for the booklet to Ricky Jay Plays Poker.

I still say the bridge game in Animal Crackers is my fave. Everything Harpo does is gold.

-T

*although not quick-change artists.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » August 17th, 2009, 1:15 am

Another great one is W.C.Fields in My Little Chickadee.

AJM

Postby AJM » August 17th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Weren't the Brothers originally given their stage names during a card game?

Don't have my copy of 'Harpo Speaks' immediately to hand so might be mistaken.

Cheers

Andrew

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » August 17th, 2009, 2:29 pm

AJM wrote:Weren't the Brothers originally given their stage names during a card game?

Don't have my copy of 'Harpo Speaks' immediately to hand so might be mistaken.

Cheers

Andrew

Yup, that's correct. Art Fisher was the one who gave all except Zeppo their names. (At the time, Zeppo was not part of the act -- he didn't join until Gummo left.)

-Jim

Return to “Magicana”