Help me keep my wife and kids busy while I am at the Genii Birthday Bash convention

PickaCard

Help me keep my wife and kids busy while I am at the Genii Birthday Bash convention

Postby PickaCard » June 30th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Hi Richard

Could you help me find activities that are close (walking distance) to the convention that would be appropriate for a mother with a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 year old?

We have never been to Orlando and I don't usually disappear for 3 days while she sits in a hotel room with the kids.

What can you tell me about the mall which is attached?

Another question relates to safety. Being Canadian, we mostly hear the bad news stories (such as shootings or a zombie attack in Florida...), how would you describe the area where the convention is being held?

I need to have a good game plan if I am to register and attend the convention. Thank you for your advice.

erdnasephile

Re: Help me keep my wife and kids busy while I am at the Genii Birthday Bash convention

Postby erdnasephile » June 30th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Here's an interactive map that shows nearby attractions (not sure how many are within walking distance):

http://thefloridahotelorlando.com/pages ... p?sub=area

Is renting a car an option? (You are halfway between the airport and Walt Disney World, and there are a lot of interesting things to see within easy driving distance). If your 3.5 year old is "Disney aware" it'd be a shame to come so close without seeing the place--for kids (young and old) it really is magic.

Then again, when I was 3.5, hanging out at a cool hotel with a pool was all I really needed to be happy :)

PS: Here's the mall: http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=139 It's got 250 stores and a bunch of restaurants. There are some moderately high end stores there--given that, I suspect that it's in a relatively nice part of town. As always though, you gotta be smart and savvy when visiting an unfamiliar city (even in Canada :) ). Good luck!

erdnasephile

Re: Help me keep my wife and kids busy while I am at the Genii Birthday Bash convention

Postby erdnasephile » June 30th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Here's the crime statistics for the zipcode of the hotel:

http://www.clrsearch.com/Orlando_Demogr ... Crime-Rate

Looks like a relatively safe area.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2012, 4:08 pm

The hotel is located in a safe area, but there is not much within walking distance other than an ENORMOUS mall attached to the hotel that would take several days to get through if you visited every shop. One of the anchor department stores is a Nordstrom's, so it's a quality joint.

It's hot in Orlando: no one walks anywhere. If your family is going to engage in other activities, then it will be necessary to rent a car. Prices are very competitive in the Orlando area and you should be able to get a good deal.

Both Seaworld and the two Universal Studios parks are only 10 minutes from the hotel by car.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 30th, 2012, 5:33 pm

One of the best Thai restaurants is right down the street, and I highly recommend it. I It's called Viet Thia.

Jeff Pierce

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Jeff, when you say "right down the street" do you mean walking or driving?

John Signa

Postby John Signa » June 30th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Viet Thai Cafe Looks to be about a 1/2 mile walk from the hotel.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2012, 7:45 pm

If your family is going to want to do stuff while you're at the convention other than at the mall connected to the hotel, and it's not just once or twice (in which case you can call a taxi) then I suggest renting a car. Parking at our hotel is free.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » June 30th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Thank you all. Keep the suggestions coming :)

AJM

Postby AJM » July 1st, 2012, 8:11 am

I've been a regular visitor to FLA over the last 20 years and am very familiar with the Florida Mall and the surrounding area - I've never felt concerned for my safety either there or in any other part of the state I've visited.

I wouldn't get hung up on the crime stats above - if we all did that, none of us would travel anywhere. I'm sure if I could be bothered to look up the stats for where I live I'm sure I wouldn't be shocked to find that crime is committed here as well. It's a sad fact of life.

As mentioned above, there are several attactions which are only a short distance away and the hotel has a car rental desk, although given the short distances involved I'm sure cab fares would be reasonably priced.

On another note, my wife will be staying at the hotel with me during the Bash weekend - therefore I would welcome any suggestions on how I can keep her away from the Florida Mall shops for three days.

Cheers

Andrew

sincityjesse

Postby sincityjesse » July 1st, 2012, 10:39 am

The area immediately around the hotel is nice and safe. I wouldn't venture north of the hotel very far. It gets "shady" very quickly.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2012, 11:49 am

Jesse, how do you know that since you live in Nevada?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 1st, 2012, 12:57 pm

Actually, I thought the crime rate stats were rather favorable towards the zip code the hotel is in. In every case, the crime indexes for that area are lower than both the state of Florida and the US as a whole. As others have pointed out, no place is 100% safe, but I'd feel comfortable going there.

I strongly suspect the chances of experiencing a convention you'll talk about for the rest of your life are much higher than becoming a violent crime victim at Genii Bash.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2012, 4:41 pm

My god why are we having this discussion? Does anyone discuss crime statistics in Las Vegas when someone is holding a convention there?

NYCJoePItt

Postby NYCJoePItt » July 1st, 2012, 5:10 pm

Mmmm. Can't wait to try some churros and hot chocolate at the mall!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 1st, 2012, 5:26 pm

PickaCard wrote:Another question relates to safety. Being Canadian, we mostly hear the bad news stories (such as shootings or a zombie attack in Florida...),

Florida zombies tend to avoid the Orlando area. However, those not trained in zombie resistance should stay clear of Miami and Palmetto.

The University of Florida has implemented a zombie attack simulation exercise; this may imply that Gainesville has an unreported zombie population. Okeechobee County has done likewise.

Fortunately, Stetson University in Deland is actively researching zombie epidemiology, in hopes of better getting Florida's zombie problem under control.

AJM

Postby AJM » July 1st, 2012, 5:47 pm

It really depends on the zombie type - the slow moving ones from, say, the George A Romero films and The Walking Dead shouldn't pose too much of a problem if you can walk at a moderate pace.

I would, however, be very wary of the fast moving ones, examples of which can be seen in 28 Days Later - now they would scare the bejeebers out of me that's for sure and I would make sure to upgrade to a sports car at the rental desk just for extra peace of mind.

Luckily, neither of the above type have been seen in the Stanlake Road area of FLA for some time although I understand that Universal Studios have some comedy ones (from Shaun of the Dead) and a few dancing ones (from Jacko's Thriller) at their Zombieland attraction.

Cheers

Andrew

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 1st, 2012, 9:39 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:My god why are we having this discussion? Does anyone discuss crime statistics in Las Vegas when someone is holding a convention there?

Blame Canada! :grin:

(I'm just kidding!!!!!!)

PS: FWIW, here's the crime states of the Orlando location compared to that of the Las Vegas strip:

http://www.clrsearch.com/Orlando_Demogr ... pare=89109

Couldn't find any stats on zombies.

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » July 2nd, 2012, 8:41 am

Back in the early 1990's, there were a few high profile murders of foreign tourists in Florida. The police chief of Miami was interviewed on British TV and assured people that most murders in Miami were the result of people doing things that they shouldn't be doing such as buying drugs or taking someone else's parking space.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 2nd, 2012, 8:52 am

erdnasephile wrote:Couldn't find any stats on zombies.

http://www.mapofthedead.com/map/

HTH

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2012, 12:44 pm

Fortunately our convention is not in Miami!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 2nd, 2012, 12:48 pm

Will you be giving away Bath Salts in the goody bag?

:)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2012, 1:45 pm

No, you dolt! But you'll get a booklet with two new tricks from Juan Tamariz and about 20 more items including 8 DVDs.

You can buy your own bath salts in the mall next door.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 2nd, 2012, 3:33 pm

PickaCard wrote: (such as shootings or a zombie attack in Florida)

I've yet to be shot at a magic convention, but have been witness to many a dreadful Zombie attack (thank you Joe Karson).

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 2nd, 2012, 4:15 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
PickaCard wrote: (such as shootings or a zombie attack in Florida)

I've yet to be shot at a magic convention, but have been witness to many a dreadful Zombie attack (thank you Joe Karson).

ROFL! :grin:

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 2nd, 2012, 4:19 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:No, you dolt! But you'll get a booklet with two new tricks from Juan Tamariz and about 20 more items including 8 DVDs.

I don't think Goat is talking about that kind of bath salts :)

Good to know that face-chewing Florida Zombies don't use them though.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/ ... _sweet.php

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2012, 5:01 pm

Those who were at the IBM convention in Texas years ago witnessed a magician shoot and kill a man who was having an affair with his wife.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 2nd, 2012, 5:28 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:No, you dolt! But you'll get a booklet with two new tricks from Juan Tamariz and about 20 more items including 8 DVDs.

I don't think Goat is talking about that kind of bath salts :)

Good to know that face-chewing Florida Zombies don't use them though.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/ ... _sweet.php

Indeed. Glad someone got the reference!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2012, 5:54 pm

I got the reference, but the face chewer was stoned on pot, not bath salts.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 2nd, 2012, 9:46 pm

Well, at least there aren't any magicians that smoke the doobies.

(There aren't, are there?)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2012, 9:55 pm

NO.

sincityjesse

Postby sincityjesse » July 2nd, 2012, 11:15 pm

Gee Richard, hope there won't be any shootings at the Genii Birthday Bash like what you said happened in Texas.

I know a few law enforcement officers in Orlando and I was assigned to work in the area a couple of years ago. They told me the area north of the hotel can be a little rough and they were right. I saw a few things driving between the area north of the hotel and the Orange County Jail. But, that rough area is about a mile or so north of the hotel. I do have some stories, but I think I'll tell them over some beers at the hotel bar in October.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 2nd, 2012, 11:56 pm

It seems that in Texas, if you catch another man with your wife, it's okay to shoot him. The magic dealer with the gun in his hand never did any time.

Return to “Convention Reports”