Essential Magic Conference

Don Hendrix

Essential Magic Conference

Postby Don Hendrix » March 7th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Has anyone received the DVD's of the EMC yet? Does anyone know the status of the DVD's. The website said that they would be sent out "by the end of the year", and I have seen at least one magic shop advertising them. They were advertised at $150 for the DVD set, which makes the conference registration a bargain at $75. Thanks for any information. I tried to email Luis de Matos, but the address on his website came back as a delivery failure. BTW, if the quality of the DVD's is the same as the de Matos produced new Lennart Green DVD's, they will be excellent.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Essential Magic Conference

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 7th, 2011, 8:44 pm

I believe the DVDs have just been mailed.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Eoin O'hare

Postby Eoin O'hare » March 7th, 2011, 9:55 pm

I got mine today!
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » March 11th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Has anyone in the states received theirs yet? My local magic shop has had them for several days now.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Bulk shipments are generally sent via a different way than shipments of single items. However, even if they were sent the same way, the vagaries of the Post Office are impossible to either predict or understand.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 11th, 2011, 6:29 pm

I have noticed that packages from overseas (esp Europe) are taking MUCH longer than in the past. I feared an order had gotten lost, but the post lady said that it can easily take over a month now for something to clear customs from Europe.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2011, 6:54 pm

It's not customs in Europe: it's because the US post office is requiring other countries to inspect every single package to make sure it doesn't contain a bomb and blow up an airplane carrying mail. The post offices dosn't have nearly enough employees to do this, and mail is backed up for MONTHS. I recently had an airmail package from David Berglas with some goodies for the deluxe edition take 8 weeks to reach me.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » March 11th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Mine showed up today.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 11th, 2011, 10:39 pm

I was unclear. Yes. It is us customs. But I have found that packages from Europe have taken longer to clear us customs then packages from (specifically) japan. Maybe I just got lucky on my Japanese parcels.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » March 12th, 2011, 12:16 am

I order occasionally from Amazon UK and packages have been taking about four weeks recently. One good thing about Amazon UK is that, if you haven't received a package a month after they send it, they will send a replacement. I recently ordered two DVD's in one order. Although they were shipped on the same day, they were shipped separately. One arrived a day short of four weeks. The other did not arrive and they have mailed another of the one that didn't make it. BTW, if you haven't bought a region-free DVDplayer, as Richard suggested in another thread, you might be missing out on a lot of great DVD's that either aren't available in the US or that are much less expensive, including shipping, than they are in the US. I ordered one British television series and a region-free player for about what the series alone would have cost from Amazon US.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 12th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Mine are here. Interestingly, US stamps were used on the small parcel.

I guess I've been lucky, I've received several shipments from Japan and Europe recently and have had no untoward delays.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » March 12th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Received mine in Seattle today.

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » March 12th, 2011, 8:47 pm

And mine safely arrived in sunny SW Virginia today as well. Like erdnasephile above, I was also amused to see the use of U.S. postage on my package. Looking forward to the next EMC in July...they set a pretty high bar with the first one.

Jeremy

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » March 13th, 2011, 12:05 am

I received mine today in Tucson, AZ. My package had uncanceled US stamps and no postmark.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 13th, 2011, 1:18 am

I got mine today in Utah with the same status as Don (uncanceled US stamps and no postmark). If I had to guess, I'd say they were sent out from California by Murphy's Magic Supplies, since they partnered with the EMC and are wholesaling the DVD set to magic dealers:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=46423

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » March 13th, 2011, 8:35 am

Received mine yesterday as well. Stamps weren't cancelled but crossed out with a pen.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » March 13th, 2011, 10:05 am

Since there was no customs information on the package, I think that Richard is correct.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2011, 11:48 am

I don't think Murphy's would be using stamps! If they were sending them out, you would see them postage metered.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 13th, 2011, 3:54 pm

I agree with RK: If Murphys processed them theyd be packaged differently and have metered postage. But clearly these were mailed within the United States. They could have come through Murphys, a mail-handling service, or even an individual, but they arrived via a bulk shipment, prepackaged (Ive never seen this kind of packaging here in the US) and with the stamps already applied so they just had to be sent out. Because they are odd shaped and could not go through any of the machines, they were hand-processed by the USPS which explains the lack of a cancelation stamp. The folks who processed thesewhose productivity is measured by the number of pieces they handlejust whipped through them. This is not the first time Ive received mail with stamps that were not canceled.

Dustin

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 14th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Mailing aside, I will say they are very nicely packaged and produced. I much prefer the small box packaging as opposed to those fold out multiple DVD folders in vogue today. I've received a lot of damaged DVD's in the mail in those when the DVD's come loose in transit.

With the packaging used for the EMC discs, the potential for shipping damage is practically eliminated.

luigimar

Postby luigimar » March 18th, 2011, 12:20 am

I just got mine today here in the central part of Mexico (THANKS EMC!!). And the package has what looks like a stamp from Portugal but it looks as if it was printed using a computer and there are no postmarks anywhere! The stamp says something about a Contract so probably there are some special arrangements among the different postal services around the world and hence you don't need a postmark or 'regular' stamps.

Anyway... what is important is that we're getting what's inside and there are no broken DVDs or anything, just pure magic inside!!

luigimar
luigimar

luigimar

Postby luigimar » March 19th, 2011, 3:25 pm

While watching the DVDs, I noticed that Ponta the Smith's performance had a BIG change: the music was different from the live feed or the online videos. I guess it was a Copyright matter, which of course changes nothing in regards to the quality of the video. It's just curious.
luigimar

Return to “Convention Reports”