MidWset Magic Jubilee history

DonRataj
Favorite Magician: Penn and Teller

MidWset Magic Jubilee history

Postby DonRataj » November 15th, 2010, 10:36 am

Looking for help with the history of the MidWest Magic Jubilee held in St. Louis and Kansas City.
If you have any older photos or stories about the Jubilee it would be most interested.
The history will be on display at the next Midwest Magic Jubliee, so be a part of history.
Don Rataj/IBM Ring One Historian.
Don Rataj Magician Artist Musician

Philippe Billot

Re: MidWset Magic Jubilee history

Postby Philippe Billot » November 15th, 2010, 12:54 pm

The review of the 1st Midwest Magical Jubilee is in Genii October 1957, page 64 by Don Lawton.

Sponsored by IBM Ring 1, it was held at the Broadwiew Hotel in East St Louis.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » November 19th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Vernon wandered in unannounced around '87 or '88... I distinctly remember folks avoiding him in the dealer's room out of sheer intimidation. Someone must have a story. (As for me... I got a handshake and a photo!)
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Vernon liked the Jubilee very much and I often saw him there, accompanied by Bill Bowers.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Postby timbrown » November 20th, 2010, 10:33 am

I went to the 1987 Midwest Magic Jubilee at the St. Louis Union Station. My first and only magic conference. It would be hard to top this one:
Lectures by: Robert Baxt, Mike Skinner, John Cornelius, Larry Becker, Dai Vernon and Mike Ammar. Performances by: Mike Caveney (M.C.), John Carney, Ken Turner, Hiawatha Johnson, Stan Allen, Dan Fleshman, Chris Kenner, Jay Marshall (M.C.), Fukai & Kimika, The Clayton's, The Baran's, Kohl & Company, Brother John Hamman, Howie Schwarzman, Al Goshman, Harry Monti, Harold D. Russel (M.C.), Jack Armstrong, Mike Douglas, Tom Mullica, Don Lawton M.C.), Ricky Neiswonger, Ricky Penn

I still have the program and can scan it and email it to you if you would like it.

DonRataj

Postby DonRataj » November 29th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Yes, please send me a scan of the program for our scape book collection. donrataj@rkai.net
Thank you

DonRataj

Postby DonRataj » December 1st, 2010, 3:10 pm

Any good stories about the Midwest magic Jubilee that you want to share?
Don

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » December 3rd, 2010, 7:50 pm

Don, I was at the Jubilee in St. Louis in 1981, I believe. I took second place in the teenage close up competition. I believe that was the year that Slydini performed his close up act as well as his stage act. He was as incredible as everyone says, if not more so. I also attended the one in 1979, I think. That was a long time ago, but I remember the wonderful acts and the dealer room and lectures especially.

I dropped out of magic for a time in the mid-80s but am still practicing and doing the occasional performance, even if it is just for family and friends.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Return to “Convention Reports”